Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important is your major for LS? (Too late to switch¿)  (Read 2055 times)

ishkabibble

• "they're break dance fighting"
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Seancooper
    • View Profile
    • Simple
    • Email
How important is your major for LS? (Too late to switch¿)
« on: April 17, 2005, 03:16:38 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but I was told this would be more suited to this area of the board.

Currently, I am going to finish this year as a second semester sophmore Literature Major/Philosophy Minor. But holy f*ck, it's about as boring as it gets (the literature, not the philosophy). I think the only major that would really be of interest to me would be to switch to visual arts and get back to graphic design and photography. I might loose some time with the switch, but I'd rather spend the last two years of my undergrad doing something I enjoy as opposed to suffering through two years of writing fluffed up craptastic papers and essays.

My question is, how important of a factor is your major for admissions to law school's??
People of zee world, relax.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How important is your major for LS? (Too late to switch¿)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 05:16:22 PM »
Not very.  There are people here with all sorts of majors and they really look for a diverse class. Major in what you like (or what you're almost done with).

bradzwest

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 07:58:53 PM »
doesn't matter...just do well and enjoy

helendemilo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My name is M, I'm a lesser-known character.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rocketscience87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 10:25:14 PM »
If you don't enjoy writing fluffed up craptastic papers and you prefer graphic design/photography, why are you thinking about going to law school?

ishkabibble

• "they're break dance fighting"
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Seancooper
    • View Profile
    • Simple
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 12:49:23 AM »
If you don't enjoy writing fluffed up craptastic papers and you prefer graphic design/photography, why are you thinking about going to law school?

Becuase I've been writing fluffed up craptastic papers about dead white guys and the same ideas on literature for most of my academic career. The law (with it's challenge to make you think differently in a whole new context) is much more interesting and something I know I'll enjoy. Design and photography have always been hobbies, studying dead white dudes hasn't.
People of zee world, relax.

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 01:27:45 AM »
why does race have to be an issue here?
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 05:23:53 AM »

i'm a theatre major.

i'm going to law school.

major in what interests you and that you have a passion for.

just do well in it (and take some writing courses too, just to show that you can to the adcom.)

you'll be fine with whatever you choose.

Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

newy

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 10:21:37 AM »
My numbers: 177/3.83.  I was rejected flat-out at Stanford and Yale and wasn't accepted at Harvard until 3/30, even though my apps were sent in September.  (I was accepted at every other school in the first flight of acceptances)

I have to attribute this lack of success in the top 3 to either my major or my undergrad school (one of the underappreciated UCs).  I think if you have the choice, stick with something seen as difficult/academically rigorous and useful.  I don't think the YHS adcomms had much appreciation for my Design/Communication double major.  I wish I had majored in Econ or Physics.  (not to sound like I'm complaining: I'm very happy with my admissions season, but this is my advice in hindsight)

I would recommend that you stick with Literature/Philosophy.  I think a major like this is looked upon much more favorably by adcomms.

ormachea

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 01:47:56 AM »
I think that your majors would greatly help you out. They seem like a perfect way to craft your writing and analytical skills and the adcoms know that--according to Montauk, they LOVE English majors. On the other hand, though, it's almost more important that you have a strong GPA and that would be very difficult to obtain in a major you detest.

I would recommend keeping literature as a minor, definitely keeping philosophy, and branching out to whatever floats your boat. But take this online board advice with a grain of salt: only you know what's best for you.