Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown over Yale - Am I crazy?  (Read 3043 times)

hocuspocus

• View Profile
Re: Georgetown over Yale - Am I crazy?
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2005, 09:04:52 AM »
Is this actually a real post?  Or just a person trying to generate a lot of replies to a question that is frustratingly easy to answer?

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2005, 09:10:35 AM »
Yeah man, for evidence why don't you try the school's own catalogs where they claim that they don't teach law in a traditional BLL way. Chicago, Michigan and Yale even state it in their catalogs. AF isn't the only one throwing those terms around. It's in LSC,the majority of people who applies to a law schools, journals, etc. I also have friends from undergrad who graduated from Harvard and Columbia. One friend didn't even know what the NYCRP are and she graduated from Columbia. But I should also add that an old friend who graduated from Harvard Law, spent 3 years at a firm to pay off the loans and now she is moving into politics.  And no, most law schools don't teach the same things, the top 14 schools tend to be more policy based because they are national schools and they tend to think that they are also training future professors and politicians.There are a few top 10 schools that do a good job of mixing both and still their students graduated feeling like they can hit the ground running. A professor told me the training at Virginia is top notch so I'm going through their catalog now as a potential transfer location.

One of the biggest games is to teach policy in class and then do a mix of BLL and policy on exams. BLL is policy but not all policy is black letter law. When you start law school you will understand that better. I don't where you are going but if you compare what your professor is saying to someone at the same time at a top 10 school. You will see that the professor fills class more with "what if this law was blah blah." I had a visiting torts professor from a top 10 school this year so I got to experience this policy darn first hand. She said in class that she wasn't going to do BLL and she did policy discussions all the time. If got the class involved but I knew she was full of darn and that you still need to know the law. So I mostly use Gilberts commerical outline. And of course what was on the exam, black letter law and maybe an additional policy question on the exam. It's frustrating when professors play those games.

And you're right to a certain extent, the policy thing is so that the top 14 school can distinguish themselves from the other schools. The lower tier schools since they don't have the reputation tend to focus on training lawyers, etc. That's why South Texas and Temple are tops for advocacy. UH and St. Louis are tops for health care. etc etc.

"Do you have evidence to support this statement that they teach "policy and theory"? I hear these terms thrown around by 0L's, and after reading Atticus Falcon, I think that this "policy" and "theory" nonsense is just that...an excuse to justify a ranking/prestige.

Of course, the only personal experience/information I can fall back on is the testimony of my friend, a Harvard Law graduate, who tells me this theory and policy everyone talks about is bunk, and that your education is primarily the same at almost any law school (though some have stronger programs than others in specific areas).

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2005, 09:22:16 AM »
Whether or not this post is a flame. There are some Stanford people who have transferred "down" to Michigan, Chicago or Georgetown. Because they were from the east coast, didn't like the environment, etc etc. There is a guy like that right now on a transfer board advising another Stanford 1L about transferring. I say give Yale a chance if you don't like it transfer down. Well it's been fun, time to get ready for the exams.

shmeli

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2005, 10:07:21 AM »
To clarify - I do have strong family/personal ties in DC, and this is a huge part of why I want to be there.  I was turned down for the Dean's Scholarship at Georgetown, and haven't received final word yet if some other funding will be available. 

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2005, 10:45:06 AM »
My last thread on this subject. If this isn't a flame or anything: If you're still in school, talk to some professors. I don't know if you know any lawyers but you should talk to any in the type of work you hope to do. I don't think a board filled of pre 1Ls who would love to trade places with you is the right place to get your opinions.

Well I just met with a professor who I'm getting a transfer rec from. I told him about this thread. And he said hands down, Yale. He said law school is only 27 months (9 months times 3 years), DC is close to New Haven, you could take a semester off from Yale and go visit at Georgetown or do a semester there and do their international program. He also said most law schools don't teach you to hit the ground running, that you will be learning in the first years you graduated. He said he would pick Yale because it's a credential known around the world. He also said the guy who transfered from Stanford to Michigan was an idiot but the two schools were close enough in status. He also called you a name I won't repeat for not just picking Yale right away. He said there are so few Yale graduates in the market, your degree would set you apart.
I was really surprised at his reaction and I can see now why so many people on this thread are frustrated with you. So yeah if you have a chance go talk to some professors and other lawyers. They are the ones in the field. Good luck to you.

jdw112

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2005, 11:38:47 AM »
So we were just envious choads before, unable to look at numbers without petty jealousy taking over. Now that your lousy prof chimes in, our frustration is justified?

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2005, 12:01:40 PM »
As someone who's been put on Yale's equivalent of priority hold, I'm all in favor of Georgetown.  ;)
It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
No of course not. I'm was just saying that a lot of people would love to be in this person's shoes. But since I'm in law school and when you start law school, you look at things differently. I don't agree with my professor in terms of everything he said. But I thought you guys were just looking at it in terms of ranking. My professor was looking at it from all angles including ways to get around the policy/theory at Yale. Besides I said this person should go to Yale and if it didn't work out they could transfer down. But yeah, I don't think this board is the right place to get their only opinions.

"So we were just envious choads before, unable to look at numbers without petty jealousy taking over. Now that your lousy prof chimes in, our frustration is justified?

TBoneUCLA

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2005, 02:31:13 PM »
lawyers, law proffessors and law students are a pretty unusual bunch.

not every joe in the world would be willing to do anything or go anywhere for a fancier degree.  for some people a career is a job - one facet of thier life. they have thier family, thier friends, thier identy.

i think some people forget that here. maybe they dont have the same ties and are looking forward to the adventure traveling off to some new place can bring. for others going away for school can be a major set back in the big scheme of things in thier life.

yes, if all things are equal, go to yale.  but obviously all things are not equal for this OP. is going to georgetown going to somehow ruin his life? would someone out there that is dead set on him going to yale please tell me how going to the world renowned institution that is georgetown will somehow ruin his life...

if georgeotwn is a major mistake for him and his career where does that put the rest of us that are going to schools outside of the t14? i guess we should all just end it now and go live in a van down by the river, eh? ;)

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2005, 04:57:50 PM »
The point is that the Yale name and receiving a degree from that institution far outweights almost any other objection the OP could have.  First off, law school is only 3 years, not a lot of time in the grand scheme of life.  Let's face it, none of us know where we will be 30-40 years down the road and why not give yourself the most opportunities, which he will be doing with a Yale degree.  The OP could do a sudden about face while in LS and decide he wants to be a law professor.  Then would you really say Georgetown was a better option?  The Yale degree simply keeps more doors open to you, at any point along the way.  This isn't a matter of choosing between Yale and Harvard or Yale and Stanford, all 3 of which are likely to forever remain the top 3 schools in the country.  I highly doubt you could find more than a handful of lawyers/judges/professors who would consider Georgetown a better school.  And btw, if the OP is looking for an easy cushy job, it's going to be a hell of a lot easier getting it coming out of Yale than it is from Georgetown.  Even if he were married with kids I would still argue he should go to Yale...again, 3 years isn't a long time.  After that the OP can go anywhere in the country, hell anywhere in the *world* with the degree.

Finally, I'm going to a non t-14 school too so I'm not one of those people who says if you're outside the t-14 you shouldn't even bother...that's silly.  On the other hand, I'm going to flat out say the OP is truly a moron if they do not choose Yale in this case.  As was mentioned, they can always transfer down.

Good luck and try not to ruin your life by making a stupid decision, I did something similar in undergrad, which limited my job prospects, and it's now a big part of the reason I'm attending LS.
You can see my numbers at LSN