Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ at Buffalo SUNY anyone?  (Read 1880 times)

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
Univ at Buffalo SUNY anyone?
« on: April 17, 2005, 02:29:53 AM »
Has anyone made a final decision on attending the Univ at Buffalo next fall?  And/or has anyone been to an “accepted student visit” (or plan on being at the one on April 30)?  If so, are there any thoughts or opinions you would care to share after visiting.  Thanks!   :)

violet5

• View Profile
Re: Univ at Buffalo SUNY anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2005, 09:49:26 AM »
I am still waiting to hear from Buffalo--they said it'll be about another week or two... They are one of my top choices right now. If you don't mind my asking, what are your #s?
2.93/159

ATTENDING: PITT!
Accepted: Toledo, Cleveland Marshall (4K/yr.-withdrawn), Seton Hall, Rutgers-Newark, Buffalo, Pitt, U Pacific
Rejected: Ohio State, Cincinnati, Temple, St.Johns
Waitlisted: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, IU-Indy, Catholic, Case (all withdrawn)

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2005, 09:57:07 AM »
3.47 / 156

Hope you get that acceptance letter soon!   :)

violet5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 09:29:37 PM »
Thanks, me too!!!   :)  What other schools are you considering?
2.93/159

Accepted: Toledo, Cleveland Marshall (4K/yr.-withdrawn), Seton Hall, Rutgers-Newark, Buffalo, Pitt, U Pacific
Waitlisted: Chicago-Kent, DePaul, Loyola Chicago, IU-Indy, Catholic, Case (all withdrawn)

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 11:21:32 PM »
Well, I am still waiting to hear from a few schools (case, ga state, and FSU), but my first choice right now is Buffalo. 

I wish to study family law, specifically child advocacy, which makes Univ at Buffalo very attractive. 

I do have one concern, though...  Since I have lived 99% of my life in Atlanta, I am concerned I will not make it through the winters, LOL.   ;D

violet5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 07:35:27 AM »
I'm from the Cleveland area and believe me, the winters suck. Buffalo is only worse. Look at it this way though--it's only 3 years, and as long as the library is heated, we'll be fine. Surely, we'll be spending all our time there.  lol
2.93/159

ek23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 10:48:25 AM »
I have made a final decision on attending and I went to the Accepted Student visit on Apr 16.  I as well as many other accepted students were plesantly surprised at how great the school is and what a wonderful atmosphere it has.  Everyone is so friendly and helpful and the students that were chosen to represent the student panel were so far the best compared to the other schools I visited.  Down to earth, every informative etc.  I felt quite at home there.  The campus is absolutely enormous, the law school is concentrated in 1 building but it is big.  As students of UB we have access to everything the campus offers, shuttle bus, gym, free tickets to games (good pro!). 

It seems like a great environment to be in.  Campus housing is beautiful as well.  I hope you enjoy the visit too.

ek23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 10:54:16 AM »
one more thing.... i am also very terrified of the snow that they get up there.  it was a bit deceiving because it was a beautiful 65 degree clear day when I went there... so i have no idea how the snow will be either.  one pro for that, at least we will not be distracted by the nice beach and warm weather.  this will force us to stay inside and study more!   ;)

Jaimalia82

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 11:21:52 AM »
I have sent in my deposit to Buffalo, but still have not made my final decision.  However, I did attend the March 4th accepted candidates day and they did a wonderful job.  The student and alumni speakers were very informative and the staff was incredibly friendly.  I also really enjoyed the mock class and thought both the library and courtroom (it's a live courtroom, not a mock courtroom) were beautiful.  Before I visited UB Law, I really had no intention of going to school there, but I enjoyed the day so much that it jumped to the top of my list (although I still have to decide between UB and Pittsburgh).

For those of you worried about the snow, it's really not that big of a deal.  I've lived in upstate NY all my life and rarely had a problem with snow.  You have to remember that Buffalo is prepared for snow storms and they'll have the salt trucks and plow trucks out before it even starts snowing, so they clear the roads pretty quickly.  And when they don't clear the roads fast enough, you get a snow day :)

gatechgrad2004

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 06:43:53 PM »
Another quick question:  I have both a cocker spaniel and a cat, so i will not be able to live in campus housing.  Do y'all think it will be difficult to find "affordable" housing near campus?