Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Girls Staying Safe,..Walking home late at night..etc  (Read 5082 times)

BAFF213

Re: Girls Staying Safe,..Walking home late at night..etc
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2005, 10:27:20 AM »
There's a pretty good chance I'll be living in Boston (actually Cambridge) next year.  If I don't get off UConn's wait list, I'll live in Cambridge and either go to Suffolk, or take a year off and work for a year (and reapply).

My brother's friends (all Ivy league graduates) have a 4 bedroom in Cambridge and one of them is moving to NYC, so they're looking for another roommate.  It's a pretty sweet deal - near Harvard Square on the red line and around $600 a month.  It's about a 25-30 minute commute to Suffolk.  So I should be OK taking the red line from Park St. to Harvard Square late at night after studying all night at Suffolk on a weeknight?

I know it sounds kind of stupid since I'm not a girl, but I feel like the crime most likely to occur would be mugging.  And to me, it seems like mugging would be almost as likely to happen to guys as girls.

If you're on the green line, you're typically fine.  I've never been in a situation where I felt threatened.  You get the occasional guy who tries to stand to close to you, but they're not ones to stand up to any confrontation.  You tell them to get the f*ck away from you, and they'll move.  But as a guy, you don't have to deal with that, most likely.

Some of the stops farther out on different lines have had problems with gangs of kids.  Some kids/people have been attacked.  The Orange Line can be fairly sketchy, and I don't recommend going on it to the end of the line alone or at night.

But the Green Line is fine, and the Red line is ok, although you definitely get more crazies on the Red line than that Green line.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 10:45:54 AM »
You'll be fine.  Just remember when the Ts stop running (it's earlier than you'd think, and could come up as an issue if the library's open 24 hours, either all the time, or during finals/reading week.  The T from Park Street to Harvard Square is almost always busy or at least populated due to the number of people that either live in Cambridge or hang out in HS.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2005, 11:30:36 AM »
Allison: I would definitely not get a gun.  Something like 85% of guns are turned against people in an altercation

I would love to see the source of that data.

Hippie:A gun is never the answer.

On the contrary. Guns are an excellent tool. The mere threat of them keeps people safe; the only way a 5 foot woman can realistically protect herself from a 6 foot muscled man is with a firearm. It levels the playing field.

I have some pepper spray that comes in a container that looks just like a pen...it fits conveniently in your purse and is easy to use...just make sure you don't mistake it for an actual pen. I bought mine off e-bay.

Pepper spray is a great tool. Unless your attacker has shades. Or it's windy. Or you can't get close enough to use it.

Baff213: I know it sounds kind of stupid since I'm not a girl, but I feel like the crime most likely to occur would be mugging.  And to me, it seems like mugging would be almost as likely to happen to guys as girls.

You're dead wrong, good sir. Men are actually more likely to be victims of violent crime in aggregate, and a victim of every specific violent crime (with the exception of rape). It's not stupid; it's smart to think about these things.

Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

BAFF213

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2005, 11:31:02 AM »
You'll be fine.  Just remember when the Ts stop running (it's earlier than you'd think, and could come up as an issue if the library's open 24 hours, either all the time, or during finals/reading week.  The T from Park Street to Harvard Square is almost always busy or at least populated due to the number of people that either live in Cambridge or hang out in HS.

Thanks for the advice.  I guess I'll just go home around 12 or so.

Click on view image to see the schedule (if you're using Mozilla, not sure if it works with I.E.).

BAFF213

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2005, 11:41:28 AM »
I thought so.  I mean, what else are criminals after?  Money, usually (I'm assuming).  And guys are just as likely to have a good amount of money as girls (possibly more likely).  And they will most likely have to threaten you with some sort of weapon (e.g. a gun or knife), which is just as threatening to a guy as a girl (would leave a guy equally helpless).  What are you going to do (guys), beat someone up that is threatening you at gun-point (or with a knife for that matter)?

Maybe when I ride the T I should dress very casually (sweatshirt, sweatpants, etc.), rather than a plaid shirt  (or something similar) that makes me look like I have money.  Criminals would be unlikely to mug someone who looks like they have no money (someone who probably looks like them).

You're dead wrong, good sir. Men are actually more likely to be victims of violent crime in aggregate, and a victim of every specific violent crime (with the exception of rape). It's not stupid; it's smart to think about these things.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2005, 11:44:20 AM »
You actually wear plaid shirts?  I don't know that anyone would mug you in a plaid shirt.  Plaid usually doesn't scream "trust fund" or anything.  ;)

BAFF213

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2005, 11:46:30 AM »
Yea, plaid collared shirts - I wear them all the time.  They look classier than sweatshirts, for example.  I know it doesn't make me look like I'm Donald Trump, but I don't look like a homeless person either.

You actually wear plaid shirts?  I don't know that anyone would mug you in a plaid shirt.  Plaid usually doesn't scream "trust fund" or anything.  ;)

jdw112

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2005, 11:52:27 AM »
Get a stun gun and a rape whistle and you'll be set. If not a stun gun, one of those cool taser guns would rock.

CheezWiz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2005, 12:29:36 PM »
To the OP:

Itís good that youíre aware that cities can be dangerous.  Itís much better than those who move to the city oblivious of that fact.  Donít let your thoughts cripple you but DO keep them in your mind.

Combining some of what has been said.  Walk assertively (donít look like a suburbanite afraid of the dark).  Take a self defense class.  However, more than a specific martial art, I would suggest that you take a rape prevention class.  Most Universities, local police departments, or cities have them.  The difference is that in rape/attack situation the idea is not to stay and fight but to quickly stun/delay and GET AWAY.

I think weapons are useless in this type of situation unless youíre willing to actively carry them every time youíre walking.  So if you are willing to have a can of spray in your hand, unsheathed knife, or hip holstered gun donít bother.  You wonít have time to retrieve it while youíre being attacked.

B.K.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2005, 01:11:46 PM »
I have a 5-10 minute walk from the subway to my apartment on often deserted Brooklyn streets. I hate doing this walk alone when it's dark! I agree that carrying any kind of weapon is not so practical and might make you feel more scared. What i do do is walk with my keys in my right hand. I curl my hand in a fist, and then take a few of the keys and stick the pointy ends so they stick out about half an inch between my curled up fingers ( this image is turning out to be more difficult to describe than i imagined!!) anyway, it's a little do-it-yourself "weapon" that keeps me a little more confident, cuz i know that if i were attacked and i had to throw a punch, the sharp, pointy keys could really hurt someone, and potentially do a lot more  damage than just my hand alone. And also, that way, when you get home,  you don't have to waste any time digging in your purse for your keys.

HTH!