USC Law Preview
« on: April 15, 2005, 10:49:23 PM »
Who else went and what did you think?

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
Re: USC Law Preview
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 11:12:40 PM »
I want to know too! I wish I could be there this weekend but I am stuck housesitting in Portland. Maybe I'll visit next weekend.

Who's Crowdaddy

• Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 04:24:06 AM »
I want to know too! I wish I could be there this weekend but I am stuck housesitting in Portland. Maybe I'll visit next weekend.

Portland is nicer anyway.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 10:31:30 AM »
No one?  Weird........

Well it was nice enough I suppose.  Very good food and they had free booze which is always a bonus.  I did think it was a little strange that there was no "formal" presentation by either the financial aid office or the career services office.  You had to go hunt these people down in their offices and accost them in small groups which just seemed inefficient since everyone was asking the same questions. 

The campus looks beautiful and the law school is getting a new "cafe" and a library renovation.

Thoughts anyone?

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 09:16:58 PM »
What's their career services office like? Do they have a section for public service?

I wish I knew what I even wish I knew from a campus visit! I never visited schools for undergrad and am a little confused about what to look for in the process now.

Reviews, anyone?

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 12:21:33 AM »
I thought it fully and unabashedly lived up to its reputation.  Beginning with the shuttle from the parking garage to the law school, all the way through the numerous presentations that emphasised the money and connections that made USC different from UCLA.  I thought the faculty and student panels were good, the food and service excellent and the mock class was awesome.  I thought Susan Estrich was annoying, and her discussion of how her Harvard classmates ran the world make me even more sad to not be admitted at H.  I also thought her voice was annoying, and she was sooo full of herself that I couldn't imagine being around her for more than 45 minutes.  I wish there was a financial aid and career services presentation, but when I went in to talk to the assistant deans of each department, they spoke to me personally for as long as I wanted, so that was cool.  I was somewhat unimpressed with the fellow admitted student who sat in the front row of the mock class, taking notes on his laptop, that I couldn't believe he brought.  I like my USC lunchbag, and public interest t-shirt. 

I think they spent a little too much time trashing UCLA.  It's starting to sound like a one-sided rivalry.  I'll make sure to notice how much time (if any) UCLA spends trashing 'SC  tomorrow.

cherryalmond

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 01:35:14 AM »
I thought it was great. The campus is beautiful, even if the area around it isn't that nice. The neighborhood didn't seem THAT bad though. The campus is gated and closed off though, so being on-campus and being off-campus are two very different experiences.

There was sort of a brunch in the beginning and lots of mingling with admitted students. I haven't been to any other admit days so I don't know how many people usually show up, but there was a good number of people. I'm estimating like 150 people or more. It was interesting how everyone was sizing everyone up. One of the first things people ask is "What other schools are you considering?" Everyone was very friendly though.

I really liked all the presentations. Much emphasis on being a part of the Trojan family and having a great experience. Both the faculty panel and the student panel were nice. The students all seemed to genuinely enjoy their time at the law school. The food was excellent, very fancy. I really liked the mock contracts class, the professor was very engaging. And it was nice how they had all the different clubs and associations out in the lobby so that you could find what you were interested in. I didn't stay for the reception at the end, so I don't know what happened during that time. Overall though, I got the impression that everyone was very friendly and laidback. 

I agree with the above posters that it would have been nice if they had formally addressed financial aid and career services. I found myself having questions regarding those areas as well. Otherwise, everything was great. And there were some freebies too: a t-shirt, stainless steel coffee mug, pen, keychain, sticker, copies of all the law journals.

bruin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 02:24:40 AM »
I think they spent a little too much time trashing UCLA.  It's starting to sound like a one-sided rivalry.  I'll make sure to notice how much time (if any) UCLA spends trashing 'SC  tomorrow.

My guess is that there won't be much, if any USC bashing tomorrow, at least from the faculty/student speakers. I wouldn't exactly call it a one-sided rivalry, but my experience has been that USC takes it much more seriously than UCLA does, which was confirmed for me by a friend that attended both schools an an UG.

Most USC bashing takes place during "Beat $C week" or generally during sporting events. We do at times comment on things such as the stereotypical USC student (rich, white kids from Beverly Hills/OC) or the fact that many SC students come to westwood to hang out. But it's not a major part of UCLA. And I imagine less so with the Grad/Professional schools than with Undergrads here.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 05:28:32 PM »
Zero 'SC bashing at the UCLA event.  Even when I asked them about it, no one had anything negative to say about USC.

I got a much more self-confident impression from the students and administration at UCLA than USC.

My guess is that there won't be much, if any USC bashing tomorrow, at least from the faculty/student speakers. I wouldn't exactly call it a one-sided rivalry, but my experience has been that USC takes it much more seriously than UCLA does, which was confirmed for me by a friend that attended both schools an an UG.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 11:11:38 AM »
I thought Susan Estrich was annoying, and her discussion of how her Harvard classmates ran the world make me even more sad to not be admitted at H.  I also thought her voice was annoying, and she was sooo full of herself that I couldn't imagine being around her for more than 45 minutes.

I agree completely. She failed to mention that her campaign for Dukakis was one of the worst in history. I'm pretty sure even Democrats didn't vote for him. I agree about the UCLA bashing as well. It seemed excessive, like USC was trying to make themselves feel better about whatever shortcomings they feel they have. I also enjoyed the fact that the student panel fit the stereotype of USC. We had a jock and an actress, among two others.