Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Only Real Reason For Why AA Should Be In Place  (Read 3777 times)

battousaiken

The Only Real Reason For Why AA Should Be In Place
« on: April 16, 2005, 12:10:20 AM »
  Not long ago, white males received much more than Affirmative Action. Back then, blacks, hispanics, and even white women were simply NOT EVEN CONSIDERED for law school. White males got into top law schools that many did not deserve.
  The only way to be 100% fair today is to open law school applications only to minorities and white women, but that would be stooping to the white male level. So instead, AA is created. It helps take care of some of the damage that white males created in the legal system. Simple as that.

And for those using the "I wasn't part of the group of white males that benefited" excuse, it doesn't matter. Yes. We probably won't enjoy Social Security when we retire but WE STILL HAVE TO pay for it. Just because you did not or will not benefit from something doesn't mean you don't have to pay for it. Simple as that.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Only Real Reason For Why AA Should Be In Place
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 12:16:20 AM »
Oh, the number of things we could do with this logic.

Let's start by putting Germans in consentration camps.

battousaiken

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 12:21:38 AM »
Oh, the number of things we could do with this logic.

Let's start by putting Germans in consentration camps.

Your logic is the one that's wrong. I said "INSTEAD, AA is created". My logic is more akin to keeping today's Germans from re-developing Nazi ideals and organizing a movement.

Simple as that.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 12:32:37 AM »
Your argument is ridiculous

Not long ago, white males received much more than Affirmative Action. Back then, blacks, hispanics, and even white women were simply NOT EVEN CONSIDERED for law school. White males got into top law schools that many did not deserve.
 The only way to be 100% fair today is to open law school applications only to minorities and white women, but that would be stooping to the white male level. So instead, AA is created. It helps take care of some of the damage that white males created in the legal system. Simple as that.

And for those using the "I wasn't part of the group of white males that benefited" excuse, it doesn't matter. Yes. We probably won't enjoy Social Security when we retire but WE STILL HAVE TO pay for it. Just because you did not or will not benefit from something doesn't mean you don't have to pay for it. Simple as that.

First block--so if I personally was the only person who was denied access to something I was entitled to, every other person on the face of the planet was granted access to it (say a heart transplant), the only fair way to resolve this is to let my son have a heart transplant and every one else doesn't get one.

The only 100% fair way to cure past discretion is through role reversal (see last post)?

Hypothetical--That is a very mature attitude.  If I find out that your great-grandfather killed my great-grandfather, I should be obligated to kill you?  The fact that it was a different time with different people is irrelevant.

You know what, you got a reaction, which is probably all you wanted, I will leave it at that.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 12:34:37 AM »
no:  more, more!

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 12:41:09 AM »
I am almost convinced that you are picking on me.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 12:42:12 AM »
no, just trying to be your humor mentor.  but happy enough to pick on you if that what please you.

battousaiken

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 12:44:20 AM »
Your argument is ridiculous

First block--so if I personally was the only person who was denied access to something I was entitled to, every other person on the face of the planet was granted access to it (say a heart transplant), the only fair way to resolve this is to let my son have a heart transplant and every one else doesn't get one.

The only 100% fair way to cure past discretion is through role reversal (see last post)?

Hypothetical--That is a very mature attitude.  If I find out that your great-grandfather killed my great-grandfather, I should be obligated to kill you?  The fact that it was a different time with different people is irrelevant.

You know what, you got a reaction, which is probably all you wanted, I will leave it at that.

Fairness isn't necessarily a good thing. Yes, the only way to achieve 100% FAIRNESS is to do the things you mentioned (with the exception of being OBLIGATED to do them.)
This is not what AA is about, and I repeat, this is why I carefully used the word INSTEAD. I didn't want to bash you, but you don't seem to get it. Are you retarded in any way? Because I can be condescending if need be.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 12:45:33 AM »
Humor mentor, w/ anecdotes like that, how could I pass?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 12:47:08 AM »
not think you were.  however, you very slow learner.  julie suggest that you buy whoopee cushion and get into spirit.