Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Only Real Reason For Why AA Should Be In Place  (Read 3852 times)

battousaiken

Re: The Only Real Reason For Why AA Should Be In Place
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 10:29:02 AM »
Opinion question for OP: If AA was discontinued right now, do you think that minorities would start to be discriminated against in the admissions process?

No doubt in my mind.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »
Okay, we put up with the whole Jim Crow era, but to interfere with a man's right to get a cold beer, now that's plain wrong.  Does there have to be legislation on everything to get some people to act right? Daymn ;) :

Study Finds Racism in New Orleans' Bars

DiversityInc.com
If you're black and you belly up to a bar on Bourbon Street, be forewarned: You run a 50-50 chance of either being charged more or being forced to order a minimum number of drinks.

Those are the findings of a study done for the city in the wake of the death of a black college student who died in a scuffle with white bouncers outside a bar on the famous French Quarter thoroughfare.

The study, conducted by the Greater New Orleans Fair Housing Action Center, paired black and white men of similar body type, dress and manner, and sent them into bars within minutes of each other.

Of the 28 bars visited, 40 percent charged the black customers more for drinks. A white man, for example, bought a Long Island iced tea for $7.50, while the black man was charged $9, according to James Perry, executive director of the private, nonprofit housing center.

Ten percent of the bars informed the blacks—but not the whites—that there was a drink minimum, and 7 percent told their black customers that they would have to meet a dress code.

The report recommended the city take several steps, including investigating discrimination at bars and enforcing civil-rights laws through litigation.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 02:10:08 PM »
I hate yt.  >:(

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 02:16:25 PM »
I'm not trying to get in on the whole AA debate...but in response to the statement in bold...how about their own country...Israel. It was recognized almost immediately by the US and USSR in 1948.

but then israel donned fake beard and nose and hasn't been recognized since.

pittsburghphil

• wacha lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2005, 11:29:29 PM »
giving jews their own country is a reparation? I hope you jest, because it was not given to them in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. so hence once again you demonstrate a total and utter lack of comprehension of history. if you check the records Israel was WON in a series of WARS, NOT GIVEN to jews BY ANY NATION. and if Israel was in existence before the holocaust, it never would have occured. hence perhaps a modicum of respect was due from europe and usa by recognition of a LONG overdue jewish state.

next quick history lesson. depaul states something to the effect of 'jews suffer for a limited period of time' hence once again demonstrating a disregard for fact, and putting on the spin of his own opinion. so, once again, if you did a perfunctory check of world history you would realize that jews have been persecuted and have suffered AT LEAST as much hardship and racism as blacks or hispanics or ANY minority that now claims a right to be shown preferential treatment in todays economy.

I am not accusing anyone of antisemitism, so please don't infer what I do not state. I am accusing some people of posting malarky and jibber jabber that is not backed by facts. some people need to do the research before finding excuses for your own opinions. if some people can't face facts, that will not change them and will simply confound those people's own arguments. perhaps some people need to find a different reason to support their views about continuing racism because their ancestors were maligned, as the revenge reason simply does not hold up. just because jews are doing well today does not mean they were not discriminated against in the past by this and most other countries, nor does it make then not a major minority.

I, sirs, had nothing to do with anybodys ancestors in this country. my ancestors are not from america, and yet I have to pay the price for the actions and policies of some who most today agree were wrong. and I certainly DON'T want a job from germany because some nazi there shot down my great grandfather's plane. in fact, I don't even want to live there...

Yonvan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2005, 11:43:29 PM »

You are simply wrong. I am not an anti-semite, but the Jews are the teacher's pets of America. So a madman tried to wipe them out. Over the full scope of history blacks, latinos/hispanics, and Asians have suffered much more than Jews and STILL face racism and diminished opportunities. Wake up.

This is just wrong. Over the grand scope of history Jews are the only group that you mentioned that didn't live in their own land. It is tough to be a persecuted minority when you live in your own land, which is what Africans and Asians did (for the most part). In Europe, Jews WERE the only other, and were subject to thousands of years of pogrom, violent attacks, discrimination, etc. We didn't enter the professions in large numbers until the latter half of the 20th century. My great grandfather was formally trained as an engineer in the United States but no company would hire him because he was Jewish -- he worked as a carpenter.

No other population has been the constant subject of systematic and well-supported attempts to eradicate or absorb it. The Holocaust is the worst example, but it's far from the only one. Go read about the Crusades --- ancient Jewish communities were wiped out. Go read about the rise of Islam -- Jewish communities were destroyed. Go read about the conditions of the great majority of the world Jewish population in the interwar years -- the Jews of Poland and Russia -- and learn about the incredible, pervasive poverty and scars left by pogrom and riots. Go read about the Soviet Union, and the incredible effort to eradicate Judaism by closing down synagogues and community centers and moving people around to destroy Jewish communities, while purging the Jewish elites reguarly.

Nobody is saying Jews deserve AA, we had a lot of characteristics as a population (literarcy, a religious culture of scholarship) that made it relatively straightforward for us to climb the ladder into the middle class (as opposed to other groups), but for you to say blacks and Hispanics have suffered much more is just patently false.

Now, if you want to discuss the genocide of the Native Americans and say that there is a group which has suffered, as a population, to the extent that Jews have, I would be willing to give that to you. African Americans continue to suffer from horrible discrimination and have endured awful historic circumstances, but no one ever tried to wipe them out as a group like people did to the Jews, time and again. That's the difference, and it is an important one. With that said, it is still important to try to remedy the problems of the past with progressive policy like race-based preferences.

ram0036

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2005, 11:50:16 PM »
When in doubt blame some other group.

hilljack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 12:29:14 AM »
Oh, the number of things we could do with this logic.

Let's start by putting Germans in consentration camps.

Actually let's start by putting you in a spelling camp.

I will go to spelling camp if you go to 'focusing on the message' camp

By the way, that was obvious sarcasm.

battousaiken

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 01:07:55 AM »
Pittsburgh and Yonsam,

Please quit it. Only a Jew would have a view of world history so skewed as to make those statements. (Well, either a Jew or a retard).

Jews DID NOT suffer as much as Africans, Latin Americans, or Native Americans. Period.

Most Jews are even considered white and are not discriminated against today. Period.

Look up "Jew" in most Law school application forms. Yes. Nothing. Period.

pittsburghphil

• wacha lookin' at?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 04:46:11 AM »
yes depaul this will indeed be my last post; I can plainly see reason and fact are no competition to ignorance and self-pity. you have time and again, on other posts as well, proven yourself a closed-minded biased jackass unwilling to even look at another point of view. your arguments are not only spurious, but the bilge you spew is trite to the point of absurdity. your sciolistic arguments are akin to my arguing with a software programmer and telling him java does not exist. I am not dumb enough to argue about things I know nothing about, but you, obviously are. WAKE UP. going through life in a stupor is not the way to succeed. but then if you knew ANYTHING about history this discussion would not have already wasted too much of my time. on behalf of all jews, and retards, I beg your forgiveness for the scholarship and intellectual capacity of my people. may your career and bloviating skills take you far... away from me.