Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CAL - Those who went or are still in....  (Read 1445 times)

Going2Cal

• View Profile
CAL - Those who went or are still in....
« on: May 28, 2004, 01:11:18 AM »
Hi, everybody.

This is my first time posting (and i do feel uncomfortable). But anyway, I'm a graduating highschool senior, and will be attending Cal next year. My problem is, I slacked off in highschool and quite frankly, should not have been admitted to Cal (though that doesn't mean i can't survive).

My question is to everyone (and more to those who attended Cal).

What can I do at Cal to make my Law School Admissions process easier?
I'm thinking about majoring in Econ. and Business (I know about Haas is admission and all). How do i prep. for the LSAT and pull a high GPA?

I know everyone's going to say you're too young, but i want to earn what I have been given.
Thanks in advance

ruskiegirl

Re: CAL - Those who went or are still in....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 01:23:53 AM »
There's nothing wrong with someone who is young and motivated to succeed.  You are welcome on this board. 

With regard to your question about Cal, you probably need to message cal4ever.  She went to undergrad at Cal and is very sweet and knowlegeable. 

I can offer general advice that I would give to anyone going to any undergrad and planning to attend law school in the future.  You said that you slacked off in high school.  Recognizing that mistake and not repeating it in college is one of the keys to your success.  You have a great deal of control over the outcome of your GPA in college and it is important to maintain a high one throughout your career at Cal.  GPA's can make or break your application.  If you are not a great test taker, or just don't do well on the LSAT, you will find that a high GPA will be your friend.  (Look at my situation.)  It can give you the extra push you need to get into that "reach" school. 

Good luck!

ocelatl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 01:51:58 PM »
NY got it right on the money (especially about the SLC)!
I would also recommend going to your professors' office hours anytime you get an opportunity.  In a campus with a large undergraduate student population, such as Cal, you can get somewhat lost in the shuffle.  You need to make sure that your professor puts a face to your name (it can sometimes mean the difference between an A or a B).  Another reason to visit your professors during office hours is to develop a relationship with him/her that will hopefully translate into letters of recommendation. 
Don't sleep on study groups.  Find folks in your classes that you seem to click for study sessions (someone that will kick you ass to study and vice-versa). 
Good luck and GO BEARS!!!!
"Freedom without opportunity is the Devil's gift." - Noam Chomsky

tahoetahoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 01:56:06 PM »
My suggestion?

Order 1 or 2 applications of places you might want to go and read over their admissions criteria.  Then strategize.  What can you do to make your application stand out?  I agree that GPA and LSAT aren't the end all be all, but we all know they are damn important.  They definitely can make things easier.  Get involved in some community service and make sure you can walk out of CAL w/ a great professor rec!
W Bush: I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to
answer questions. I can't answer your question."
In response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the 
first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

Kerry 2004!!!!!!!!!

ecrawley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 02:42:10 PM »
I graduated from Cal this past December and I'm heading to Hastings in the fall. I slacked off in high school quite a bit and transfered to Cal from a SUNY. It got me into high gear and it made the transition to Cal seamless. However, for you, be prepared to be amazed and challenged by your professors and classmates. It will not by easy whatsoever.

With regard to law school, there is only so much you can do. So much of the decision is based on LSAT that even if you have a B+ GPA, you will still be admitted to top schools with a strong LSAT. Conversely, it is harder to get into top schools with a higher GPA and an average LSAT. What I'm trying to say is, enjoy yourself. Be somewhat irresponsible. Party every now and then. Do NOT spend the whole time trying to game law school admissions. No matter what your GPA, recs and extras are, if you screw up on the LSAT, odds are you're done.

In the end, don't view college as a conduit for law school or for meley work. It is an experience and accomplishment by itself. Let your self grow and by all means, screw up every now and then.

Congrats on being admitted to Cal, whether you believe you belong or not. Enjoy football games on sunny Saturdays and the food ghettos for dinner.

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 03:22:28 PM »
Everyone has given you great advice.  First and foremost, I want to say congratulations and welcome!

I just graduated last week from Berkeley, I can't begin to tell you how much I loved my experience.  I love Berkeley so much, I'm going back here for law school!!  :)

Anyway, my advice to you is learn how to study.  Like you, I didn't study much during high school.  The only class I studied for was Calculus, and I still managed to get a high GPA.  It was great b/c I had a lot of free time, but it almost killed me when I started Berkeley.  It took me a few semesters to figure out how to study effectively.  If you want a high GPA, make sure you do this first--learn how to study.  For some, this means just rereading the materials covered in class.  For others, like myself, studying meant taking notes of my notes--it sucks, but that's what has worked for me in undergrad.  If you find that you are still having a hard time studying, go to the SLC (like what everyone has said).

Also, why do you want to major in Econ or get into Haas?  Do you believe that if you get a high GPA with these majors, you have better chances of getting into a top law school?  If you are only going to major in Econ or Business b/c you think it will look good on your law school applicaiton, you should rethink your major.  Econ is very cutthroat and competitive.  Getting into Haas is even worse.  In general, it's very difficul to get into Haas, but the classes you take in Haas is not difficult.  That's the problem, the classes aren't difficult so you need to get a 95% or above in all of your midterms or finals to get an A.  Because of the curve, I've had friends who've gotten a 92% in a midterm and received a B! 

Cal has plenty of things to offer.  You will get what you put into Cal.  Unlike private schools, Cal isn't going to hand anything to you.  You will have to go and look for what you want.  But when you find what you're looking for, it's a great feeling. 

Lastly, don't forget to get your football season tickets!!  GO BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.

Going2Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 03:34:41 PM »
Thank you guys for your advice. I'm going to work my butt off and have a life. In response to why I want to do Econ/Bussiness, I'd have to say, truly, that I'm interested in them. There are four majors that I'm interested in pursuing actually: Philosophy, Econ., Poli. Sci. and Business. Obviously, I'll have to narrow down my options. But I'll figure that out later.

Once again thanks, and if anybody has more advice, feel free to post.

ocelatl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 08:50:42 PM »
best spots in berkeley to get your grub on $-$$$$:

-Filippos $$
-A Cote $$$
-Chez Panisse $$$$
-Viks $
-Breads of India $$
-Le Note $$
-Lois the Pie Queen $$
-Dorsey's Locker $$
-Everett & Jones Barbecue $$
-Zachary's Pizza $$ (Oaktown)
"Freedom without opportunity is the Devil's gift." - Noam Chomsky

NYBound05

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 01:47:34 PM »

-Filippos $$
-A Cote $$$
-Chez Panisse $$$$
-Viks $
-Breads of India $$
-Le Note $$
-Lois the Pie Queen $$
-Dorsey's Locker $$

They have an Everett & Jones in Berkeley?  I thought there was only one in Downtown Oakland and... SF is it?
By the ay, whenhe doesn't feel like spending a grip, Mike's Pizza (or Fatslice).  I don't like Blondie's Pizza because they have roaches (I've seen them)!

cal4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 02:04:17 PM »

-Filippos $$
-A Cote $$$
-Chez Panisse $$$$
-Viks $
-Breads of India $$
-Le Note $$
-Lois the Pie Queen $$
-Dorsey's Locker $$

Chez Panisse should be more like $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (for the cafe). 
I am thanking my lucky stars that I got into Boalt Hall!  Three more years in Berkeley.