Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Has anyone in the history of LSD ever turned down their highest ranked school?  (Read 15067 times)

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
I had decided 100% to take a full ride from 1 of 2 schools in the 50's over a T-14 because of money and location. Shockingly got decent aid the other day from that school and got into my original top choice, also top 20, so the deals off. But I honestly would have gone to the lower school if I didn't get some good aid. It is a shocker and now I am leaving my hometown.

What's "good aid"?

I'm getting a $10k/yr stipend (not sure why it's a stipend. I didn't get any other scholarship offers that were "stipends") from UVA. To me, that's not good aid. I am therefore deciding between UVA and UIUC with full tuition.

Burghblast, thanks for starting the thread. Don't know if I was one of the examples of people you were thinking of when you started this post, but it's good to hear from all of these people, on a single thread, who had to make similar decisions.

I was speaking of 20,000 a year, which was shocking. Still would be significantly more expensive than going for free, but suddenly feels to close to pass up a top school.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

katinaishot

• MSN Messenger - kmetzidakis@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katinametz
    • View Profile
    • Cardozo Law blog
    • Email
Um Im turning down Wash U cause it's in St Louis and Tulane because it jumped 14 or 15 spots in USNWR this year...which doesnt make any sense...are the students and the programs and the profs THAT much better than last year? The answer is NO...Im going to Cardozo...I would say that you ought to go to a top ranked school if you dont plan on doing well...then maybe you can hope that the name will score you an interview...but then just pray that you get into Harvard...this whole website def causes tons of anxiety and fear...i have a strong belief that everything happens for a reason...whatever you and I decide will ultimately be ok...call me crazy
Im starting as a 1L at Cardozo Law school...If any of you are current, future, potential, ex, whatever Cardozo Students please check out my blog...all info, questions, comments, concerns are welcome!!!

http://newyorkcitystudents.blogs.friendster.com/cardozolawstudents/

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

ilsox7

Choosing a school in the 60's over a couple in the 30's and some waitlists in the 20's.  Then again I think USNEWS is a bunch of crap...

TBoneUCLA

so i am guessing we can safely and succinctly answer the OPs question by unanimously answering

"YES"

:)

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm thinking about turning down GW w/ no money for Temple with lots of $$.  That's a good 40 spots or so.  Decisions, decisions!!

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
FWIW: I turned down a few higher ranked schools (one rather significantly higher) for Pitt.

Scout

• View Profile
I turned town GW w/ no money for Bama w/ a full ride.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bamamegs

Attending: Alabama
Accepted: GWU, Washington & Lee, William & Mary, Alabama, UC-Boulder
Waitlist: UVA
Denied: GULC, Duke, Harvard
Pending:UNC

bamalaw

• View Profile
    • Email

You rock :D Bama is great. Check out the UGA/Alabama thread. Lots of us crimson folks. See ya in fall!

link0

• View Profile
WL at Mich, NU, Cornell, GULC

Even if I get into any of them, I will still choose UIUC + 10k/yr + instate

Burgh, u made a good choice going with NU over UIUC though, since you would have to pay out of state for UIUC.  Also, your 2.9 UGPA will hold you back for patent law if you went to UIUC, so going to NU will overshadow the UG grades.

Scout

• View Profile

You rock :D Bama is great. Check out the UGA/Alabama thread. Lots of us crimson folks. See ya in fall!

I will check it out! I'm glad Bama is represented on this board and I can't wait to see everybody!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bamamegs

Attending: Alabama
Accepted: GWU, Washington & Lee, William & Mary, Alabama, UC-Boulder
Waitlist: UVA
Denied: GULC, Duke, Harvard
Pending:UNC