Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone thinking of delaying law school for a year?  (Read 3518 times)

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone thinking of delaying law school for a year?
« on: April 15, 2005, 06:27:09 PM »
I got into 2 of the 3 law schools I applied to, and I'm still waiting on OSU, which was my #1 choice. Unfortunately, after calling the admissions office, I found out that they've sent out all of their acceptances and everyone still under review is waitlisted or rejected. I don't really want to go to the other 2 I applied to, which leaves me thinking that maybe I should wait and apply early next year. I'm almost certain that I will be waitlisted because I applied pretty late, as my numbers are good enough to get in, and right in line with what most accepted who decided to attend had.

I'm thinking maybe it would be better to work for a year, take the lsat again in june, and apply early next year. Anyone else thinking of delaying a year to try and get into a better school? Is it stupid to wait a year to try and get into a higher ranked school?(Aka tier 3 to tier 1?)

soupnazi

Re: Anyone thinking of delaying law school for a year?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 06:34:45 PM »
I'm thinking of doing something similar.  I think you should definitely apply to more schools though, and only schools you'd be willing to attend.

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 06:53:54 PM »
It sucks because I really only want to attend one school: OSU. Going out of state is a waste of money, and in-state there is only 1 tier-1 school. I might still go to the one I got scholarship money to though.

soupnazi

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 06:57:03 PM »
good luck, focusin on one school is pretty risky as you have found out.  If you got a decent scholarship package, you should definitely consider it.  There seem to be plenty of solid schools in ohio, not sure what your #'s are but I'd guess at least one of them would give you a solid enough scholarship to make it close in price to OSU.

CPSinvestigator

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Put the F-ing Midget in the basket!!!"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
if you really want to be a lawyer, you will go anywhere to do it. i know lawyers that only got accepted to cooley, but went b/c they really wanted to be attorneys. i also know several attorneys that went to cooley and transferred to T1 schools.

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 08:02:44 PM »
I see what you're saying, it's just that the opportunities from graduating from a crappy school aren't good. I've been told that counting on a transfer isn't a very smart idea because if you don't do well enough, you're stuck. Plus your class rank is gone. Still, I will have to think on it more.

weinmatt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 08:14:45 PM »
I'm in the same position. It's not so much for me about "prestige" but more like, I want to get a quality education and go somewhere I know is a good school, where I can do well, but don't have to finish in the top 5% of my class to be offered a job somewhere. Plus, I have to stay in D.C.

That pretty much leaves AU, GW, and Georgetown. I applied late to all three, because I took the Feb. LSAT. Thus far we are on the waitlist at AU, and not surprisingly, rejected at GTown. So, we await GW.

I guess because I am just graduating from college I can afford to wait, maybe retake the LSAT, and apply early in the cycle next year. That is, assuming I don't get off the waitlist. Also, I have some things I'd like to do and maybe I just need a year off to do them... who knows. But, as we play the waiting game, I am definitely considering putting it off.

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 10:45:52 PM »
I'm seriously thinking about waiting a year, too.  I'd like to take another stab at the LSAT with much more prep, score higher (hopefully), and try to either get into a higher-ranked school or at least get offered some money from more modestly-ranked schools.

My only worry is finding a job that will pay enough that I can afford to pay for rent, food, and my student loans.  Yuck.  I've already started looking, though.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

wongsb

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 10:56:01 PM »
I withdrew my only acceptance Thursday with the idea that, being fairly close with my 5 waitlists.. it would be a shame to settle this year.  Nothing against Miami, but I don't see myself in South Florida and, really, my application was inspired by my Christmas trip to the Caribbean with my parents.  Anyway.  I have thought a lot about the turn of events, and should my waitlists fail me, I plan to take the LSAT again come October, write new, killer personal essays  ;) and spam my law schools with my applications in early fall rather than on the eve of February.   

Hopefully I'll get in somewhere still, however, my possible reality next year doesn't seem too horrifying anymore once broken down  :)

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 11:21:40 PM »
Well, it's good to know I'm not alone in this decision to hold off on law school for a year.

I just keep thinking that I got my current LSAT score with minimal preparation (got offered a job unexpectedly right after I registered, and I couldn't turn it down), so maybe if I just practiced a bunch I could raise it significantly.  I hope so, anyway.  I'd hate to settle for something I'm not completely happy with.

Well, at least I'll know some LSDers already come next year's cycle ;)
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)