Law School Discussion

help me decide=Georgetown (no $$$$) or Catholic (full ride)

help me decide=Georgetown (no $$$$) or Catholic (full ride)
« on: April 14, 2005, 04:34:28 PM »
I am being offered a full tuition scholarship at Catholic but Georgetown will not be offering any aid to me. 

I will need to borrow the entire cost of attendance if go to Georgetown.  Is the prestige really worth it?   

What should I do?   

chico

Re: help me decide=Georgetown (no $$$$) or Catholic (full ride)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 04:47:11 PM »
Georgetown offers a degree many times the value of catholic. Catholic is also located in a "bad" neighborhood from what it is posted on here by those who have visited it. The degree of Georgetown is expensive, but it is worth it in the long run. I would take Georgetown instantly.

dave303

• La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 04:47:24 PM »
Georgetown. Unless one of your parents is a senior partner at some biglaw firm at which you plan to work after graduating.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 05:05:14 PM »
Go to Catholic... No aid at all @ Georgetown?? It isn't worth it... no one really borrows between 30-50k a yr to go to law school..think about your debt...and if you plan on practicing in DC... a 125k salary with all of that debt on your hands won't amount to anything..especially if you want to get a house upon commencement...

as far as the area is concerned.. it isn't SE DC so it isn't the worse area in the city.. there's security over there and the CAU/Brookland metro station is in walking distance from the campus.. I lived over there for a little over a yr and didn't have any problems with crime...however I did get my car window broken into right in front the Dept of Justice building where there were many surveillance cameras and security guards  ::)

krbr

• I've got 99 problems and law school is one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 06:16:38 PM »
If you are absolutely, positively, 100% certain you want to work in the DC Metro Area and do not want to be in biglaw, then take the money at Catholic.  The lack of debt will allow you to entertain many more options in the way of P.I., gov't, and small firm jobs.  Biglaw would be 1 in a million, but then again a partner at the DC biglaw firm I work at is a Catholic grad so anything's possible.

But if there's even a 0.01% inkling that you want to go elsewhere or want to work in biglaw, suck it up and go to Georgetown.  The options that name opens up to you, both in and out of DC, will be more than worth it in the long run.  If you are disciplined with your money, you'll be able to handle the debt.

And why aren't GWU and AU considerations?

DodgerLaw

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 06:18:52 PM »
This is the easiest one yet: Georgetown. 

Ditto.

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 06:51:58 PM »
I should have mentioned this on my original posting.  I want to do Biglaw.  This is why I am giving up a career to go to law school.  So you think it is GT without any doubt?

I did not apply to GMU and I was denied at AU (I am still shocked).   

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 06:59:38 PM »
there are definitely CAU grads that are doing Big Law.. meet with some professors in the field that you're interested in @ both universities... visit the career placement office and see what they have to say..

I should have mentioned this on my original posting.  I want to do Biglaw.  This is why I am giving up a career to go to law school.  So you think it is GT without any doubt?

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 07:02:57 PM »

What are your reasons for wanting to do Biglaw?  If it's for the money -- I'm assuming you have very good numbers to get a full ride from Catholic.  (My numbers are good and I got a very nice scholarship from them, that's why I say that.)  Anyway, for Catholic to offer you that kind of scholarship means they expect you to do exceptionally well there.  If you do exceptionally well, including law review probably, I don't think choosing Catholic could really hurt you.  Not to mention, graduating debt free will be a huge advantage money-wise.  In the worst case, you could make a lateral move after a few years out of school.

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 07:05:51 PM »
sage advice :)

What are your reasons for wanting to do Biglaw?  If it's for the money -- I'm assuming you have very good numbers to get a full ride from Catholic.  (My numbers are good and I got a very nice scholarship from them, that's why I say that.)  Anyway, for Catholic to offer you that kind of scholarship means they expect you to do exceptionally well there.  If you do exceptionally well, including law review probably, I don't think choosing Catholic could really hurt you.  Not to mention, graduating debt free will be a huge advantage money-wise.  In the worst case, you could make a lateral move after a few years out of school.