Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: computers  (Read 349 times)

ch537

• AOL Instant Messenger - ch537
    • View Profile
    • Email
computers
« on: April 14, 2005, 02:45:11 PM »
i was curious if anyone had any suggests on a good notebook?  I have about 2000 to spend on a computer, give or take, any suggestions?     
Accepted: Kentucky, Mississippi (attending)
Pending: Georgia, Georgia State
Rejected: Alabama, Wake Forest
Waitlisted: Vanderbilt, Tennessee
Withdrawn & yet still received a rejection letter a month later: Emory
Withdrawn:  Florida
Undergrad: University of Chicago

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: computers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 02:57:20 PM »
I just purchased a sony vaio 2 weeks ago.  It was like 1800 but there were rebates from circuit city.  It is probably one of the best purchases I have made...I'm really happy with it so far.  Check out

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,30710.0.html
Uconn Law 1L.

_____

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 04:12:20 PM »
my suggestion is to buy a Dell and get extended warranty with the Complete Care program for the 3 years you'll be in school.  It gets you on-site, next business day service--for free! 

Also, with the Complete Care, they'll fix it even if it's your fault. (It can't be on purpose, mind you, but I fried my own video card by not following the proper order of things when plugging my laptop into the TV, and a technician was over the next day and replaced it for me.  Too cool!

Also, subscribe to the Dell emails.  In particular, the Small Business emails are great.  Just tell them you're a consultant ("independent contractor"; you get paid with 1099s).  Bob Joe dba Bob Joe, and you'll be fine...

GOOD LUCK!

UOlaw08

• AOL Instant Messenger - psikadelik
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 04:44:19 PM »
I'm a firm supporter of this Sony model and suggest to go with blake840's choice. The Sony Vaio s360 series is more expensive than a competitive Dell, however it is built with quality components, and looks nicer also. The notebooks are built to last, which will make a difference during three years of law school.

They are perfect portables for law students. 4.2 lbs, 13.3" Widescreen monitor with Xbrite (compare the monitors from Dell and Sony side by side, the difference is dramatic). I'm getting one, and the only reason I haven't yet is because i'm waiting for them to add a graphics card I want.

You can get the same exact extended warranty from Sony that Dell offers. That includes accidental protection plan, and next day onsite help. Spend your 2k on a notebook that will perform will and look good also. You can't go wrong with a Vaio S Series
ATTENDING: The University of Oregon!

In: Oregon
Out: Miami, Texas, IU: Bloomington, Lewis and Clark, Seattle
Withdrawn: Depaul, Denver, Quinnipiac

jakew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 05:59:54 PM »
On the Windows side I am a big fan of IBM's laptops. They are very well built - super sturdy. They are, however, expensive. Next up would be Dell, who is fairly cheap but I've seen friend after friend go through hell trying to get stuff fixed by them. Finally, Sony's notebooks are also nice, but on the expensive side... they are very sexy, though.

Now, personally I took the plunge last year and bought an Apple Powerbook. It was my first Mac, and to be completely fair, I had hated Macs for a long time... but I gave in because of all the neat little features (such as a backlit keyboard). OS X is quite awesome... if it weren't for the fact I like games I would never buy a Windows machine again (as it is, I don't think i will buy a Windows laptop since I wouldn't game on a laptop anyway). Apple's are on the expensive side, although they do have a good student discount.