Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question for fellow Tulane People...  (Read 192 times)

heyitcouldbeworse

• View Profile
    • Email
Question for fellow Tulane People...
« on: April 14, 2005, 01:57:39 PM »
Hey, question for all my tulane friends.  Let's say after the first semester of 1l, your grades aren't so hot.  LEt's say your in the bottom %50.  Does it make sense, then, to pursue the civil law track as opposed to common law so you can have an easier time finding work in LA after you graduate?  I'm not planning on being in the bottom 50% and I' sure neither are any of you, but it's something to think about.  Since LA is a civil law state and I presume that a good number of the 38% of the grads who end up in LA are on the lower end of the grade spectrum, it' something to think of...

3.66, 164, non-URM
IN @ Tulane, Vandy, Oregon
WL@ wash and lee, bill and meg,Emory, WUSTL, BC
Going to TULANE (90% sure)

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question for fellow Tulane People...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 02:46:09 PM »
I think that would be a mistake. Civil law (while interesting) is VERY limited. Your options would be forever limited to LA or maybe overseas. If you did civil, I guess you would have a chance at big firms in NO. But if you ever wanted to leave, you are screwed. You can always bring your grades up and, rememeber, half of the law students that graduate every year are in the bottom half of their class. It doesn't mean you can't get a job.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"