Law School Discussion

SMU vs. UNM

Sister Funkhaus

• June LSAT HERE I COME
    • View Profile
SMU vs. UNM
« on: April 14, 2005, 08:56:28 AM »
I am applying to SMU as well as University of New Mexico and easily have the numbers for both. I already live in Dallas, but would love to live in NM. UNM made a HUGE leap in the ratings, while SMU took a fall. UNM is a smaller and cozier school that is very friendly to non-traditional students.

I am not really leaning towards one or the other. Anyone have any input??? I am just interested in hearing opinions.

midjeep

• View Profile
Re: SMU vs. UNM
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 09:22:37 AM »
I am not familar with UNM but I really wouldn't pay too much attention to USNews (how does a school increase or fall drastically when they don't do anything drastic from year to year?) USNews changed their criteria this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it again. As far as being a non-traditional student, I don't think SMU is unfriendly to non-trad students. They did increase their night school (by decreasing the day program) and being in Dallas, I could see a lot more professionals going back to law school at SMU. All in all your decision should be based on A) what you want to do B) where you want to live after law school and C) where you feel most comfortable at. If you want to live in NM, then definetly attend UNM (its probably a lot cheaper than SMU too). I think it would be harder to get back into Texas, especially Dallas, with a UNM degree (well harder than if you went to SMU). Also, I think a degree at SMU will transfer to NM better than an UNM degree to TX, but that is my own opinion.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 10:21:03 AM »
dont count yourself as so easily in at schools.  The numbers we see from rankings and such are old.  I thought I would be in at more places.  I want to go to SMU and still havent heard from them.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:21:47 AM »
p.s. how do you know you have the #s if you are taking the LSAT in June?

limonjello

• Not me as a kid, but me in 34 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 01:39:35 PM »
I think I would be very hesitant to go to UNM unless that is definitely where you want to practice.  Not that it is necessarily a bad school, but I don't see that name carrying very far.

SMU, while admittedly basically a regional school, has decent name recognition, and of course it's golden in DFW.

DreaNM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 09:18:14 AM »
Make sure you have the numbers, extras if you want to go to UNM. Like you said, they are in the upswing of the rating now so it is getting harder and harder to get in there (they only have a 110 person class). I am in-state and still haven't heard. Best wishes.