Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to quit work?  (Read 1944 times)

YankeeFan

• View Profile
Re: When to quit work?
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005, 05:38:11 PM »

If you're honest with your boss about going to law school, there's no reason they should be mad at you.  I told my boss right when I was about to apply, and she's been a big supporter of it.  I work in real estate, and they want me to stay, but they understand it's my life.

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005, 05:49:08 PM »
dude, maka nani, of all people to have in your avatar.... why him?
3.4ish, mid-160's
Accepted: UCLA, Loyola (Los Angeles)
Rejected: USC (whatever!)

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

manserunt

• Sr. Citizen
  • The princess on her throne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2005, 05:52:32 PM »
Quit before they find out that you're leaving and fire you pre-emptively.  Oh yeah, that's just me being slightly bitter.
Attending: Fordham

BeesKnees

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2005, 05:58:35 PM »
Its nice to know that you guys work in positive environments,  My boss/company was aware of my plans for law school.  I tried to keep it a secret, but the December Lsat was the morning after our Christmas party. When i told my direct supervisor (in confidence) why i would't be drinking/staying late, she told the whole company.  (This was December 2003)  

I was planning to leave February 2005, and was going to give a month a half notice to replace my job (not a very technical job, but the company has had a tough time recruiting in the past and i wanted to give them enough time.)  My first week back, i noticed some different behaviour/policies implemented.  Our finance manager advised me to only give two weeks, as they would probably rather have my position vacant than pay me extra.  Sure enough, when i gave my two weeks notice, they told me the next day should be my last.  I still have them as a reference and they threw me a goodbye party, but if you are counting on that money, look at how they have treated things like this in the past.

All in all, wasn't that bad, as i am now typing this from New Zealand, where i am travelling before school starts.

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2005, 07:07:43 PM »
One of the reasons I decided to go to law school this year was because I hate my job and my boss. I'm in a Director position, very high level, and it will take a while to hire and train the next person. I was planning on giving 2 weeks notice, but decided that it would be unprofessional to do so. I ended up giving 5 months notice (last day July 29th) and I'm glad I did. There isn't really a chance that they'll try to force me out early, since I have knowledge of the company and the position that no one else has. Hell, I went on medical leave for two weeks starting 4/4 and I get emails almost every day asking how to do this or that. My boss was shocked (shocked!) that I was leaving and tried to get me to stay. He really is an ass. All of my coworkers have been very supportive and, in some cases, very jealous. I expect that one of the supervisors I manage will get my job and we'll start training in May.

The only downside that I've encountered is that some people (who don't like me) have started complaining that I'm acting like I have one foot out the door. They've made comments to my boss that I'm not keeping the company in mind and it seems like I just don't care anymore. Well, they're asses too, but it is kind of annoying that they're doing that. If I hadn't told anyone that I was leaving they would never have gotten that perception. It's true that I have one foot out the door, but my performance has not changed and, in a way, has improved since I know that I'm leaving eventually and I'm not stuck in a crappy ass job anymore.

Overall, if you think your boss won't try to force you out early then tell them now. I bet they'll appreciate the opportunity for you to train your replacement.

Erin

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 08:40:47 PM »
not sure...he is very intriguing!

i cant spell

i'm a girl

i'm in a low level position but  can't take one frickin day off without coming back to 100+ emails and crap like that

just wait until I take my week to Hawaii...cell phone is OFF the entire time i don't care if hell breaks loose at my job

wow...i guess i do hate my job
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

beeline

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 04:41:05 PM »
i took last friday off to visit schools and came back to 700 emails. ugh. work doesn't know i'm going to law school yet and i'm torn about telling them. they knew that i applied in the last cycle, were supportive, wrote a great LOR, but i didn't tell them this time arround because i didn't want to jeopardize my position or just make things uncomfortable for the next few months. i feel like i'm in an especially awkward position becasue i've been here for 5 years and watched/helped the company grow from 10 to 80+ and i have close relationships with the owners - and i can't help but think of myself as fairly irreplaceable. i'm planning on leaving in july and will probably tell them in may - i was hoping to have made a decision before i let them know, but it looks like it may not happen that way. but i figure 2 months should give them plenty of time to find a replacement and will miminize the time i spend here with people thinking (and not competely baselessly) that i've got one foot out the door.

COmom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 07:07:22 PM »
I have worked with the same people for over six years.  When the management team left 3 years ago I was someone they picked to help start a new company.  My boss (and two other senior managers) wrote my LORs.  When I received my first admit my boss took me out for drinks and told me he wanted me to stay on in a contract position.  Basically they will pay me a monthly stipend and I will do the work they ask, IF/WHEN I have time.  I guess they feel hiring and training someone to be me would be too hard.

I think two months is good especially if they need to train someone.  Figure two weeks for job posting, interviewing etc, another two weeks before that person can start and about one month of training.  I think I heard somewhere that if you put in your notice and they 'fire' you the next day you are entitled to receive pay for the length of your notice (ex - if you give two weeks and they fire you they have to pay you for those two weeks).  Something to look into depending on your state I would imagine. ??

Good luck and congrats on LS!

FloridaLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 11:59:17 PM »
not sure...he is very intriguing!

i cant spell

i'm a girl

i'm in a low level position but  can't take one frickin day off without coming back to 100+ emails and darn like that

just wait until I take my week to Hawaii...cell phone is OFF the entire time i don't care if hell breaks loose at my job

wow...i guess i do hate my job

So, what do you do? 

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 09:36:24 AM »
I already know when I'm quitting (end of May).....but is anyone else really, really, really ready to quit!!!  My last week has been horrible and I am so ready to be done.  Anybody else sooo incredibly glad that they are leaving their job?
Attending: Texas