Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I just lost my job!  (Read 1418 times)

LaneSwerver

Re: I just lost my job!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 03:43:35 PM »
You can have my job. I'll train...
Sweeet! Can I do it long distance from California? I've got mad skills, I swear.

Hmmm...probably have to be in person. It just doesn't work well from a distance.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 03:46:46 PM »
one word... BARTENDER!!!!!  (Especially at golf courses...)

...and no it wasn't because I spend too much time on LSD  ;)
I've been in a temp position since August filling in for someone who has been out on disability. A month or so ago, this person decided they are not going to come back, so my position was converted to a permanent position and they had to go through the process of hiring a perm employee. My boss encouraged me to apply (she had no idea I was leaving for law school) and basically told me I shouldn't have any problem getting hired. I work for a public college and they have pretty stringent hiring policies where everything (resume, interview, exam) is scored according to points and apparently I came in second place. My boss was so nice and complimentary and apologetic when she broke the news to me.
So, it looks like I'll be out of work as of May 6. And I thought I had money problems before??? I'm actually trying to stay positive about it and laugh about - we'll see how long that lasts.  I obviously knew there was a possibility I wouldn't be hired, so I had already set up an appointment with a temp agency for tomorrow. I figure temp is the way to go since I'll only need the job for less than 3 months.
Anyone have any good ideas for short term summer employment? I'd really like to make at least $12.00/hour (the position I'm leaving pays $17.00/hr).
Ha, this is actually really surreal, it hasn't sunk in yet...

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 03:53:27 PM »
Sweeet! Can I do it long distance from California? I've got mad skills, I swear.

Hmmm...probably have to be in person. It just doesn't work well from a distance.

Leave the poor girl alone, pimp-daddy!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

LaneSwerver

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 09:53:18 PM »

Leave the poor girl alone, pimp-daddy!

You get back in the hole, b!tch. You still owe me $250 from the software convention.

ccorsi

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 10:02:46 PM »
If you are just looking for a summer job - definitely wait tables somewhere.  You don't need much experience - you can basically BS your way into most places.

You'll make way more than $20 an hour essentially tax free and you'll only have to work about 20 hours at a decent place to make the same as working a 40 hr a week job.

C2

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 10:24:50 PM »
That's too bad, I'm really sorry to hear that.

I was hoping that I'd lose my job.  As luck would have it, I got an upgrade in title, a big raise, and a new boss who I like better than my old boss.

Makes it tough to leave.  Thing is, my co-workers suck a$$, and I will not miss them at all.  They make it easy to leave.

bobo21

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 10:31:28 PM »

Where in California?  I hire students to do d/e and other misc office stuff and we pay about 12-15/hr.  Most of my students are going home for the summer so we have work available.

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 12:09:18 PM »
I'm in Sacramento...so if anyone knows of any jobs in Sac, let me know!
I may try to wait tables...I have no experience at all, but like you said, I may be able to bs my way in, we'll see.
Thanks everyone for the support!
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 12:14:26 PM »
tragic.  now go away to wherever it is that all unemployed people are sent by republicans.

LaneSwerver

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 12:25:18 PM »
tragic.  now go away to wherever it is that all unemployed people are sent by republicans.

Now, now...you know we outsource to India.