Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I just lost my job!  (Read 1400 times)

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I just lost my job!
« on: April 13, 2005, 02:36:31 PM »
...and no it wasn't because I spend too much time on LSD  ;)
I've been in a temp position since August filling in for someone who has been out on disability. A month or so ago, this person decided they are not going to come back, so my position was converted to a permanent position and they had to go through the process of hiring a perm employee. My boss encouraged me to apply (she had no idea I was leaving for law school) and basically told me I shouldn't have any problem getting hired. I work for a public college and they have pretty stringent hiring policies where everything (resume, interview, exam) is scored according to points and apparently I came in second place. My boss was so nice and complimentary and apologetic when she broke the news to me.
So, it looks like I'll be out of work as of May 6. And I thought I had money problems before??? I'm actually trying to stay positive about it and laugh about - we'll see how long that lasts.  I obviously knew there was a possibility I wouldn't be hired, so I had already set up an appointment with a temp agency for tomorrow. I figure temp is the way to go since I'll only need the job for less than 3 months.
Anyone have any good ideas for short term summer employment? I'd really like to make at least $12.00/hour (the position I'm leaving pays $17.00/hr).
Ha, this is actually really surreal, it hasn't sunk in yet...
Fortune cookie wisdom: No one knows what she can do until she tries

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
Re: I just lost my job!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »
That really is too bad. Also out of a job right now, but not under those sort of circumstances. If anyone has job ideas, I would be curious to hear too.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 02:39:38 PM »
When my TDY in DC ends next month (or June, depending on AF funding), I think I'm going to apply at WalMart for their mid-shift positions.  This way I can spend my days at the beach and my nights at Wally World.  Hey, where else can you get paid to stock shelves and not miss any fun in the sun?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

AmanteDolciume

• My new baby!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 02:42:53 PM »
:( I feel for you, zakrob! I wish I knew of any positions here (since we're so close in distance) but we don't have much.

Since you have your teaching credential, can you get a summer school teacher position?
Attending: Oregon
Accepted: McGeorge (w/$), Cal Western (withdrawn), Oregon
Rejected: Hastings, Davis
Withdrawn: USD

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=amantedolciume

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 02:43:44 PM »
OMG!  I just had sent you a message asking how things were going with you, and then I saw this.   :-[I am so sorry to hear this..but I am sure that you will come out on top in the end.  Hang in there!

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 02:46:18 PM »
I was definitely planning to look into teaching summer school - the position would have to end by the end of July though, since that is when I am moving, so we'll see. I will also look into substituting since that generally pays about $100/day, but it can be unpredictable. Thanks for the support, and keep the ideas coming!

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »
Sorry to hear it. Definitely keep that positive attitude. Law school will arrive before you even know it.

I used to score standardized tests for a company called ETS from my home computer. I think it paid like $12 and hour. All you need is a college degree... might be worth checking into. I would not recommend becoming a sub. I did it for 2 years before admitting to myself that it is a horrible job. I've never met anybody who enjoyed subbing (and did it more than once a week).

Good luck!

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »
Yeah, I've been a sub, so I know it sucks. But at least I'd know it is only temporary. I saw a posting on Monster for a job scoring standardized tests through a temp agency for $12/hour, must be similar to what you did. I'll follow up on that one too. Thanks!  :)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 03:32:14 PM »
You can have my job. I'll train...

zakrob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 03:41:08 PM »
You can have my job. I'll train...
Sweeet! Can I do it long distance from California? I've got mad skills, I swear.