Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Planet Law School II  (Read 5801 times)

Nylo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Law School II
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2005, 09:39:35 AM »
I originally posted my feelings about PLSII in the hopes that the OP would give it a chance and not be scared into inaction by the book.  I wanted to share the discovery so to speak, as PLSII seriously helped mitigate my own anxiety about law school...(though given the competitive nature of law school and the forced curve, my own purposes of getting top grades would probably have been better served by keeping my trap shut!)  Having accomplish my original goal, I am henceforth going "underground."  (*nods to BigTex*) 

Yeah especially since she's going to YOUR school! LOL

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2005, 11:18:32 AM »
I want to prep for law school. I'm dying for law school to start. I wish I could go tomorrow. I went out seeking way to prepare for law school. I bought PLS, Law School Confidential, and OneL. I think PLS is an interesting book.

However (the big BUT), I spoke to a number of people who assure me that there really is very little one can do to effectively prepare for law school

One of the people I spoke to is my brother who graduated from NYU four years ago, clerked for a federal judge, and works for BIGLAW in L.A. I think that is a pretty darned good source of info. He said that about the only thing I could do to prep that wouldn't be at best a very ineffectual use of time is to work on my typing and related skills and maybe read a couple of books on the historical and philosophical underpinnings of the law. I haven't asked him what he thinks about BARBRI yet, but I will soon because as I say I am hot to do anything I can to prepare for LS.

To those of you who chose to follow the PLS plan, I wish you the best. But there is a lot of reason to believe that all your prep will go for naught, and may even lead to burnout.

Hey Dodge, did you shoow PLS II to your brother? Does he really know what it says. Sometimes people will say there is "no way" because they just haven't seen a way yet.

I almost wish that long post hadn't been posted...maybe  it will make many others want to prep the PLS II way, and that's just not good for me dammit. YES i want to have all of the advantages on my side! ;D >:( ;)
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2005, 11:53:53 AM »
as another anecdote, my mother is an attorney. I considered law school years ago. In talking with her at that time she mentioned there's nothing you can really do to prepare because "law school is so different from anything you've done before". Anyway, so now i'm actually going to law school and i showed her all my prep materials and plans. She was dumbfounded - she had no idea such materials existed (there were no E&E's when she went to law school). She said the prep plan i've prepared for myself would absolutely have helped her do better in 1L.

again, different strokes for different folks, but blanket statements like "your prep will be for nought" should be applied to yourself, not others. Besides, why make such contentious statements now? 1L grades will be the ultimate determiner. If there must be badmouthing, why not just wait until 1L is done to badmouth? Maybe all my prepping will indeed be "for nought", maybe it will be the key to success. Only by letting the experiment proceed to conclusion will we each see the answer to whether or not we chose wisely for ourselves. I suggest we wait until a year from now before anyone boasts about the right or wrong approach.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2005, 01:49:08 PM »
wills69ss's post forgets to mention one thing, "This poster sponsored by Aspen Publishing"

LOL!

DodgerLaw

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
as another anecdote, my mother is an attorney. I considered law school years ago. In talking with her at that time she mentioned there's nothing you can really do to prepare because "law school is so different from anything you've done before". Anyway, so now i'm actually going to law school and i showed her all my prep materials and plans. She was dumbfounded - she had no idea such materials existed (there were no E&E's when she went to law school). She said the prep plan i've prepared for myself would absolutely have helped her do better in 1L.

again, different strokes for different folks, but blanket statements like "your prep will be for nought" should be applied to yourself, not others. Besides, why make such contentious statements now? 1L grades will be the ultimate determiner. If there must be badmouthing, why not just wait until 1L is done to badmouth? Maybe all my prepping will indeed be "for nought", maybe it will be the key to success. Only by letting the experiment proceed to conclusion will we each see the answer to whether or not we chose wisely for ourselves. I suggest we wait until a year from now before anyone boasts about the right or wrong approach.

I guess I should have directed the "for naught" comment to people who are undecideds about PLS rather than put it in the same paragraph with my best wishes to those of you who are following the PLS plan. I truly wish you guys well.

The "for naught" comment was meant much more for those who are reading this thread for opinions on whether they too should join the PLS ranks.

Also, I'm not suggesting that people don't use many of the materials suggested in PLS. Of course they should. This is something upon which I believe agreeement is almost universal. The question is not "if" but "when.

NothingSpecial

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2005, 02:34:36 PM »
tag

lets go

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2005, 09:21:05 PM »
PLS people--focus more on prepping than wasting time on this board and this thread. There are better ways to use your time. School is starting in 4 to 5 months for people. You should be participating in hypos on our board and not trying to convince people to take part in PLS. If they don't want to prep then fine. It's makes it easier to go to the top of the class. I used PLS2 this year in school and I have a 3.78 at a tier 2 school. I just got accepted to Georgetown for transfer next year in their early action plan. My sister who is starting at Pittsburgh this year wanted me to check out this board to see if it has anything useful. Well it's been useful in giving me a laugh. 

And to this Dodger guy, your brother graduated from NYU and you got into a crappy school like Cal Western? I guess you didn't listen to his advice on the LSAT. Don't prep for law school. Enjoy your summer. But please write to this board in October when you are crying and whining that you aren't doing well. Tell you what-- I will personally make a point to come back to this board and look for the thread where you and the OP are crying in October. As for the OP, if PLS made you freaked out then orientation will make you wet your pants and law school will give you a heart attack. It's not too late to change your mind about law school and maybe go work at Petco or some other place where you won't get "freaked" out.

I love you pre 1Ls. You don't know c.r.a.p. and talk c.r.a.p. You can't even take advice from people who have aced their 1st year using the book. All you can say is that I talked to other law students. Wow big deal. Did these law students you talk to aced every one of their classes, are they on law review? That's the measure of success in law school not someone who just gets to the second year. Don't you idiots realize that the law students who tell you not to prep or are so free with their advice about law school are usually the ones who didn't do well first year. Thanks for the laughs. I'm not coming back. I'm cancelling this account. But thanks for the laugh. I'm going to a website now to look at apartments in DC. Go Hoyas.

jdw112

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »
* Hates_Sermons tags the thread

Ragnar Danneskjold

• Sr. Citizen
  • Atlas Shrugged...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2005, 09:35:14 PM »
PLS people--focus more on prepping than wasting time on this board and this thread. There are better ways to use your time. School is starting in 4 to 5 months for people. You should be participating in hypos on our board and not trying to convince people to take part in PLS. If they don't want to prep then fine. It's makes it easier to go to the top of the class. I used PLS2 this year in school and I have a 3.78 at a tier 2 school. I just got accepted to Georgetown for transfer next year in their early action plan. My sister who is starting at Pittsburgh this year wanted me to check out this board to see if it has anything useful. Well it's been useful in giving me a laugh. 

And to this Dodger guy, your brother graduated from NYU and you got into a crappy school like Cal Western? I guess you didn't listen to his advice on the LSAT. Don't prep for law school. Enjoy your summer. But please write to this board in October when you are crying and whining that you aren't doing well. Tell you what-- I will personally make a point to come back to this board and look for the thread where you and the OP are crying in October. As for the OP, if PLS made you freaked out then orientation will make you wet your pants and law school will give you a heart attack. It's not too late to change your mind about law school and maybe go work at Petco or some other place where you won't get "freaked" out.

I love you pre 1Ls. You don't know c.r.a.p. and talk c.r.a.p. You can't even take advice from people who have aced their 1st year using the book. All you can say is that I talked to other law students. Wow big deal. Did these law students you talk to aced every one of their classes, are they on law review? That's the measure of success in law school not someone who just gets to the second year. Don't you idiots realize that the law students who tell you not to prep or are so free with their advice about law school are usually the ones who didn't do well first year. Thanks for the laughs. I'm not coming back. I'm cancelling this account. But thanks for the laugh. I'm going to a website now to look at apartments in DC. Go Hoyas.
Shivering in fear...
am I gon' DIE...?
I'm an NYC boy, 153/3.3

ATTENDING: Santa Clara w/$$$
Accepted: Marquette($), Villanova, Howard, Univ. San Francisco($) 
Out: Boston College, Temple, Michigan State Univ.
Wait List: Seattle Univ., Univ. Pittsburgh, Rutgers-Newark, Syracuse

DodgerLaw

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2005, 10:11:29 PM »

Yep. My brother has done much better than me scholastically. Proud of him and, yeah, a little jealous. I attribute his relative success mainly to the fact that he worked harder than me in school. And yet this very hard worker is telling me not to work hard on law school prep. Hnnn.

How much does Atticus pay you guys to put these posts up?

No, BigTex, this is not directed to you.