Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: February Score Results  (Read 4120 times)

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: February Score Results
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2003, 09:29:13 AM »
Your point is well  taken but I don't really see how that's really any different.  The main thing is if you want it bad enough it will happen.  It may not happen this year  :-[ but eventually it will ;D.  So what are you learning in this class?  It's a bar exam prep course?  

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2003, 09:32:41 AM »
Oh wait I just read this again...You're in a non-aba law school now?  If so that's great, I honestly believe the more info the better.  I worked with an attorney before that graduated from a non-aba school and from what he tells me is that you are basically confided to an area where you can practice.  And if I am not mistaken after a few years you can take the bar to practice in other states as well.   Good for you!!! :D ;)

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2003, 11:21:22 AM »
Yeah, if you attend a state-accredited law school, you will most likely need to practive 3-5 years in that state before most other states allow you to take their bar exam.  But the truth is most of us will at least initially practice in a specific state anyways.

My Dad went to Southwestern before it became ABA accredited.  He had a successful career in the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office, retiring nicely as a senior Deputy DA.  A number of his classmates ended up in private practice and were very successful.

Don't get me wrong, if I get accepted to one of my ABA schools, I'll probably spend at least the first year there.  I can always transfer those units back into a non-ABA school.  But for me there's a lot to consider: I'm a good 1  to 1.5 hour drive from both ABA schools, have a full-time day job, and participate in another start-up company on the side.  Further, I've crunched the numbers for all my potential options.  Ventura (Non-ABA) will end up costing me about $25k over 4 years, whereas Loyola or Southwestern (both ABA) will be around $90k - $95k over 4 years.  This calculation takes into account additional fuel and wear-and-tear on the vehicle.  That's about $70k difference.  Now, wouldn't you spend the first 3 year of practice in-state if you were given an up-front bonus of $70,000 (after-taxes)?  You know what I'm saying.

Good luck!
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2003, 02:05:50 AM »
Honestly, I never did look at it that way.  You are absolutely right and the long drive will take a toll on your car and yourself.  I couldn't even imagine being motivated enough to drive for that long.  It appears you have put a lot of thought into this and from the sound of it you'll be doing just fine.  I get 5000 from my job a year for law school and if I could find one that was a state school (which I don't believe there are any) I would be going for free.  I am still looking for state school believe me when I tell you.  Good luck and I'm sure you'll going to do absolutely superb. 8) ;) :D  

Pun

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2003, 06:35:22 AM »
Hey, Cockramel

Thanks for the encouragment. Sorry, if my post sounded some what gloomy or bitter that was not my intention. For me law school has been a difficult decision because I am possibly giving up a carrer in medicine. In fact, I'm not entirley sure which career path is right for me. Last year, I was interested in law b/c I was frusrtated and bored with the biology and other related sciences I was learning. Thus, I wrote my MCAT's did very well but deicded not to go to med school. A professor had mentioned to conduct some research towards patent law and thus I research as much as I could for the past year. I figure, I may need to find out more about intellectual property and the field of law in genral before I commit to such a narrow specilazation. My problem is I'm not sure which path is correct. However, your adivce was nonethless much appreciated. To the entire discussion board, as cliche as this may sound, chase your dreams! You only get one chance at this thing called life so make it worthwhile.