Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: February Score Results  (Read 4180 times)

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
February Score Results
« on: March 01, 2003, 02:44:38 AM »
Has anyone called telescore today to get their score early?  I just did and disappointed to find out that I got a 143 (21%).  The only good thing is that I only applied to two schools with evening programs and one of them luckily is looking between a 143 and 161.  My gpa is 3.0.  No responses yet from the schools.  What did you get? :'( :'(

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
Re: February Score Results
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 08:10:51 AM »
Yeah, I called in on Saturday.  I got a 156 (70%), which, all things considered, I'm fairly satisfied with.  I have a B.S. in Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, but with only a 2.6 cum (LSAC calcs). I've been working as a spacecraft engineer for General Dynamics for five years, and have started a number of my own technology/engineering companies on the side (Corps/LLCs).  I'm looking at Loyola Law School and Southwestern for the night divisions, Fall 2003.  I'm just now sending in my apps; but as a fallback, I'm starting this evening at a local CBA law school (Ventura College of Law).  Good luck to you.  Where are you applying?
"What we do in life...echoes in eternity." -- Gladiator

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 08:46:08 AM »
I hope you are very satisfied with your score.  I really think it all depends on what school you are applying for.  I applied to Suffolk Law School and New England School both of which I would attend part-time at nights (I have three daughters to feed).  Suffolk is a first tier but put a lot of emphasis into stressing that they don't count you out over your lsats. And New England the same but my 143 was within their accepted range.  So now I will wait and see.  If you're going to apply you should do it asap because the last LSAT exam was Feb. and that will determine the incoming class.  How do you go about getting LSAC to calculate your gpa?  I read about it on some of the other discussions but when I go to Lsac.org nothing pops up.  Good luck! ;)

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 09:12:23 AM »
In order to take the LSAT you should have registered with LSAC.  You should be able to access your personal LSAC account online at the website you mentioned.  Most, if not all, ABA schools that you apply to require you to send your transcripts to LSAC for their evaluation.  The ABA schools you apply to then want LSAC to directly provide them your undergrad GPA based upon LSAC's evaluation of your transcripts.  This is the GPA used in the GPA/LSAT index for most ABA schools.  In my case, my school had me at 2.79 cum, but LSAC calculated 2.61 cum based upon their independent evaluation of my grades.  I'm just hoping Loyola and Southwestern take a good look at my resume/statement/letters.  If they do, I should be in the ballpark.  Good luck.

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2003, 09:18:25 AM »
I registered already but I don't see anything that says what my gpa is according to them.  What section is it in?  Or did they send you out a letter with that information on it?

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2003, 10:37:44 AM »
Have you sent your transcripts in to LSAC?  On the main web page, they provide a downloadable "transcript request" form that you fill out and send to each undergrad institution you attended.  These forms direct each institution to send an official transcript to LSAC.  LSAC takes these transcripts and calculates your GPA based upon their specific criteria.  Once LSAC has received all of your transcripts and has calculated your GPA, they send you a form in the mail indicating this GPA, the basis of their calculations, and your LSAT scores (if any).  These GPAs and LSAT scores are not available to be viewed on your online LSAC account. When you apply to most ABA schools, they look at the GPA/LSAT scores provided directly from LSAC.  You pay LSAC $12 to "release" the scores to each of the schools you've applied to.  I've already gotten a couple updates from LSAC indicating my GPAs/scores.  Have you received any such letters?

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 03:16:50 AM »
No that letter hasn't reached me yet but I know it's coming.  I have gotten one update since registering but there was basically nothing on it till recently.  So I'll just keep my fingers crossed until then.  Good luck with school.

Pun

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 05:49:11 AM »
Hey guys and gals, I'm worried because I didn't do as well as I expected. Anyhow, here's my stats:

3.63 GPA (Honors Science); 148 LSAT.

bad, I know. Anyhow, I applied to both Canadian and American schools and have yet to hear from anyone. Moslty tier 2 American schools: Santa Clara, Seton Hall, Pittsburgh, Kent, Depaul. I'm sure, I'm screwed. Anyways, good luck to the rest of you.

cokocaramel

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 06:11:33 AM »
Pun: Don't count yourself out yet.  I have been reading these discussion boards and so many people tell others to take a year off or give it up.  And honestly they are full of it.  It depends solely on the schools in which you applied for that will determine if you should take a year off and study harder.  I studied for months straight and still boched my test. I have a best friend in law school who has informed me of many people in her class that messed up their LSAT and one of them had to just take it again in June as a condition of her acceptance.  I called my schools and got the range that they were looking for and I am keeping my fingers crossed.  So don't worry no matter what idiot tells you that you should.  Life is going to go on and as far as myself I have wanted to be an attorney since I can remember and there isn't anything going to stop me from that.  I have 3 girls (two of which were born while in undergrad), I managed to maintain a 3.0, work full time, go to school full time at night and walk across that stage.  And there is no way a bad LSAT score is going to take my dream away.  And you shouldn't let it either.  If not this year then next year.  I work for an top attorney who went to law school when he was 30 and we are in a public sector so he has worked himself hard.  Bottom line.......DON'T GIVE UP.

lp4law

• Sr. Citizen
  • super genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2003, 09:21:44 AM »
I take a different approach.  I believe the schools that reject me are arguably as important to my future success as a lawyer as the ones that accept me.  Any school that rejects me is saying, "Hey, based primarily upon your GPA/LSAT score, you're not good enough for us."  I see that as a personal challenge.  Whatever school I attend, I'm going to be extra motivated by the fact some day I get the priveledge of going head to head with graduates from those schools that I wasn't 'qualified' for.  I look forward to those times ;).  Although this sounds a little bitter, and I won't pretend it isn't, it helps ensure the most important aspect of my legal education: my personal motivation to agressively absorb and apply the material that's presented to me in class.  

Although I'm applying to two ABA schools that I've got a reasonable shot at for Fall, I've already started at a local California Bar Accredited school.  My first night of class was last night; and I was pleasantly suprised at the apparent quality of instruction.  All of my instructors are currently practicing attorneys and Judges.  Many non-ABA accredited law schools provide a high-quality legal education at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of most ABA schools.  After practicing a few years in your state, your reputation will precede everything else, including what school you attended.  Remember that not all great lawyers came from top ABA law schools.  It's entirely up to you what happens as a result of your present circumstances.