Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying laptop thru school... a good deal?  (Read 770 times)

klarkkunning

• View Profile
    • LSN profile
Buying laptop thru school... a good deal?
« on: April 13, 2005, 10:42:44 AM »
Hey, sorry if this is a repeat of earlier posts.  But is it a good deal to buy a laptop through your school?  I looked at what my first choice school offered and they looked like good deals.  But then I googled the same model and found what might be comparable deals in the open marketplace.  I am sure it depends on the school and their negotiation with the vendors, but does anyone know, in general, if the educational deals out there are actual deals?  Or are they just a way to railroad tech-unsophisticated folks like me?
You are a living mockery of your ideals.  Otherwise you have set your ideals too low.

DodgerLaw

Re: Buying laptop thru school... a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »
bump.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 10:49:33 AM »
The big reason buying through your school can be a huge advantage is warrenty and service plans.  Some places may offer better prices on the computer itself, but getting an extended warrenty (an absolute necessity) can jack the price up.  Also, you need to look at what kind of service you get.  Do you have to ship it offsite?  Many schools have onsite service plans, and will provide a "loaner" laptop while yours is getting repaired.

So look at prices, but factor in the service plans and warrenties, and then imagine your laptop breaks two weeks from finals with all your data on it.  Which service plan will keep you the sanest and offer you the most options?  If the plan that makes you the more comfortable costs a couple extra hundred dollars, it may be worth it.

klarkkunning

• View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 12:01:04 PM »
Thanks, Jacy.  I am a total neophyte with computer-buying and maintenance.  I had not even taken those factors into account.  I'll check on the warrantee and service info.
You are a living mockery of your ideals.  Otherwise you have set your ideals too low.

klarkkunning

• View Profile
    • LSN profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 03:39:57 PM »
Bump ... any more thoughts on buying through schools, pro or con?

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 03:47:58 PM »
Bump ... any more thoughts on buying through schools, pro or con?

i don't know, but i think we should keep bumping this thread until the new deals come out.  i'm worried that i'll buy my computer through school and it will be last year's model. 

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 03:53:06 PM »
I know that at least Georgetown and Northwestern offer deals through their campus computing that knocks about $100 of the purchase price of some Apples I was looking at yesterday.  I'm not sure whether the warranty will kill the "savings" but it's still cheaper than buying the Apple warranty likely on my own.  I would check out what the school has to offer and then if you don't like it, buy on your own.  Just be aware that you'll have to go to outside tech support.

ErinKG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 10:51:50 PM »
I think it depends. At L&C they have a deal with Dell, but the prices appear to suck. I can get a much better deal waiting for the hot coupons to come out. If you don't want to spend a lot of time waiting for the best deals, I think the prices are pretty decent in most cases. This is excluding Apples, of course, since they charge pretty much the same everywhere. If you can get a school to knock even more off of the educational price, then you're getting a pretty good deal.

Erin

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 02:32:14 AM »
Generally, buying through your school is a good deal. If you are getting a Dell :(, waiting for coupons (like those that came out this week) is your best bet. Most computer companies have their own educational discounts, which are typically equal to the school's discount. Tech support is a valid consideration, though.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

ScurvyWench

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 02:38:37 AM »
I looked at buying my laptop through UHLC, through my company, through the Dell website with a discount, and through another Employee assistance program. The difference was less than $100 however, the warranties (sp?) varied widely. UHLC covers it for 3 years and accidental damage includes drops, spills, and basically everything except theft. The others are for 1 year and cost more for to up it for each additional year and usually only cover accidental damage for dropping the laptop. Plus, the school will service your laptop with a guranteed time-frame if you buy it through them. It seems worth it. My husband and I are both very computer savvy, but I take comfort in knowing that if something happens, I won't have to figure it out myself--someone else on-campus will do it for me for free. That's priceless.