Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Word (MS OFFICE) or WordPerfect Suite  (Read 452 times)

mxpocc

Word (MS OFFICE) or WordPerfect Suite
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:17:31 PM »
Which of these word processing programs are YOU going to use for law school, and why?

I'm leaning towards wordperfect, because it seems to be more scholarly friendly as opposed to the layman's Word.  :-\

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: Word (MS OFFICE) or WordPerfect Suite
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 11:36:45 PM »
fwiw, i know securexam testing software requires word.  i'm not sure which schools all use it.
post-3L

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 11:43:14 PM »
I am assuming that you would have both...using your preference for notes, etc.?

I can't see how one could NOT have Word nowadays.  Personally, MS Word for me.  It would take me wayyy too long to learn wordperfect to make it worth it.  I hear good things about it, but if I ever want to email a paper, share it, or do anything that required the actual file to be used by anyone other than me, I think wordperfect would make difficulties for me.
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"

libdem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Woooooo, go gold!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tricordertrekkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 02:58:33 AM »
WordPerfect is wonderful! My mom was an attorney, so all the computers at our house had it when I was growing up. It has the reputation of having features that are designed for lawyers; the newest version even has a "lawyer" layout for toolbars. I know that I used it for years, but have always found Word harder to use and much less stable. Don't let people say that WP is incompatable with other software (word). You can always save documents in word format if you're planning to share (although it really wouldn't be necessary if people knew how to open a file in word).

Despite having an intense hatred of all things Word, I had to switch when I bought my Mactop (12" iBook) because WordPerfect stopped making Mac versions. But, Mac for Word is very different (it shares no code with the PC version, according to someone far more techie than me) and I've been happy with it.
Georgetown c/o 2011

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 07:47:57 AM »
If you're asking which of the two you should get, Word hands down.  Despite personal preference, we generally have to face the fact that we live in a Word society.   My firm has 1 major document server for all of our offices across the country.  We use Word.  Most documents we receive on discs and such are in Word.  And I'd bet the vast majority of your classmates will be using Word, and it'd be helpful to have the same processing program to facilitate sharing notes and stuff like that.

But I guess if you hate it and get sick at the thought of using Word, you could struggle through with WordPerfect.  You'll just have a bit harder of a time with it, I guess, in terms of sharing notes and stuff with classmates.

underwhelm

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 08:14:54 AM »
Open Office.

Seriously? I don't think it matters. Whichever one you're comfortable with.

ccorsi

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 09:08:05 AM »
Word is far more prestigious.

C2

Roper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 09:26:29 AM »
I have spent five years working in a law firm.  We use WordPerfect, but we have Word if we have to send something to someone else.  It seems most of the law firms in our area use WordPerfect as well.  Since I am most familiar with it, I plan to use this.  However, my law school gives you a laptop with both, I think...