Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA question  (Read 2232 times)

hocuspocus

• View Profile
Re: UVA question
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 10:12:33 AM »
to be fair, NYU has a healthy conservative contingent roaming its hallways.  in fact, because the school is probably more politicized than say UVa, the coservative groups at NYU are likely more active and vocal than those at more relatively laid back and politically apathetic schools. 

Very good point.

I work for an elected Democrat, and while I don't consider myself a liberal, I don't find UVA to be conservative at all.  Sure, it's less liberal than most law schools, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.  Frankly, from a political standpoint, the mere fact that people could be turned off by UVA because of it's supposed mild conservativism helps explains why Democrats rarely win in rural areas these days.

KODIAK

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 12:34:04 PM »
Ted Kennedy did not graduate from UVA Law.  He got kicked out for cheating. 

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:39:25 PM »
Ted Kennedy did not graduate from UVA Law.  He got kicked out for cheating. 

I think you all are thinking of Robert Kennedy (brother of JFK, attorney general). He graduated from UVA. He is the face UVA's Public Interest program.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 01:51:15 PM »
They both graduated from UVa law. RFK-class of 1951, Ted-class of 1959.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

KODIAK

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 01:52:08 PM »
He got kicked out of Harvard undergrad then readmitted.  My mistake.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 01:54:24 PM »
Don't know why that doesn't really surprise me.

Ted did win the UVa moot court competition; my guide showed me the plaque with all the winners of the competition, he was up there for 1958.
Attending UVa

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 02:05:38 PM »
They both graduated from UVa law. RFK-class of 1951, Ted-class of 1959.

Right. I wasn't sure if we were counting LLMs because he received his law degree overseas. Either way he wasn't kicked out of UVA.

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 02:08:53 PM »
Don't know why that doesn't really surprise me.

Ted did win the UVa moot court competition; my guide showed me the plaque with all the winners of the competition, he was up there for 1958.

Bruin04:

I don't know if you've stated this anywhere but are leaning towards NYU or UVA. And if you don't mind telling, why?

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 02:16:32 PM »
Leaning toward UVA. C'ville is a nice town, the history buff in me likes the history of the area (which may backfire when I am touring old battlefields rather than cramming for con law ;)) Lower tuition and COL helps out too. And I have heard good things about the school from lawyers, doesn't seem that a UVA degree will be viewed "lesser" on the west coast. And the law school is great.
Attending UVa

blaqueangel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 02:20:05 PM »
Leaning toward UVA. C'ville is a nice town, the history buff in me likes the history of the area (which may backfire when I am touring old battlefields rather than cramming for con law ;)) Lower tuition and COL helps out too. And I have heard good things about the school from lawyers, doesn't seem that a UVA degree will be viewed "lesser" on the west coast. And the law school is great.

Good to hear. I wondered how it would be viewed on the West Coast.

I was at the admit days last week and I like C-Ville. I still wonder if I'll fit in. I hear people tend to segregate themselves and I'm used to having friends of all races and creeds. But, overall I think I'd have a good time. I am thinking it would be hard to pick NYU over UVA (COL). I am excited for UVA. It's a cool school.