Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UVA question  (Read 2286 times)

edfromlockstock

• View Profile
UVA question
« on: April 12, 2005, 10:06:36 PM »
I've been admitted to UVA, NYU, Columbia and Chicago.
UVA offered me 14 k. I havent heard from the others.
In making my decision I've contacted two JD graduates. One from wisconsin who practiced at Arnold and Porter in DC (top 20 law firm). She told me, take the money, that all of these schools will generally get you at least an initial interview at top firms, and having less debt gives you greater possibilities to leave big firms when you so desire.

the other is a professor of law at a top 12 school. He said choose Columbia. Mainly because UVA and Chicago are conservative schools, and that me being liberal I wouldnt be happy.

Also I called Columbia about money, and they said to fax them the award letter from UVA. I dont know if UVA is considered a peer school by Columbia, so Im not sure if ill get a match from Columbia.

So here is my questions to you:

have you heard or read that UVA is a conservative school, in terms of student body and professors. Are they generally republican?

and again advice on where I should go is appreciated.

Your Mom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: UVA question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:15:32 PM »
UVA is a southern school certainly, but a good number of "in-state" residents at UVA come from Northern Virginia, a bastion of blue counties in the sea of otherwise red ones.  The people that I personally know there do not tend to be all that conservative, but I don't know if the sample is representative.

crash42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 10:36:46 PM »
I have pretty much the exact same decision (UVA, Chi, NYU and Col).  I attended the admitted students day at UVA and this question was asked numerous times.  The answer was always, we do lean left, as all law schools do, but we are more central than most law schools.  My take was, politially it could be an advantage to be in a classroom that is almost 50/50, but the "southern conservative" vibe of the school may be hard for me.

edfromlockstock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 10:42:17 PM »
crash 42: you said , the "southern conservative" vibe of the school may be hard for me. Is there a southern conservative vibe to the law school?

Do you know if Columbia considers UVA a peer school?

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 10:47:43 PM »
i know there are liberal law students at chicago that are perfectly fine with the political atmosphere there, as chicago is not really "conservative" in the way that word is used in everyday political discourse.  i'm sure the same applies for UVA.

as for columbia finaid appeals, it's not a direct comparison, but this might shed some light on the matter: i met a few people for whom columbia replied to an appeal by matching half of the aid granted from another school.  none of them submitted materials from UVA, but they did send award letter from chicago and NYU.

Amanda H.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 01:04:49 AM »
If you're liberal, you might prefer NYU.

UVa is pretty close to those schools, but they should all give you an edge in terms of national placement (Though UVa will do great in D.C., and it may be easier to do well in your class there.)

You should obviously visit all 4 schools, and see which one you like the best.  14K is not a big deal at this level, unless it's every year.  Even then, it's not necessarily determinative.

long ago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 02:04:17 AM »
I think the question should be whether or not a liberal can be happy ANYWHERE let alone in a place where they are surrounded by conservatives....... No I am just kidding I just like to throw a little friendly political banter in the discussion on occasion.  I am sure you will find enough liberals at ANY law school to make you feel right at home.  I mean Ted Kennedy graduated from UVA right? If he can do it ANY liberal should be able to do it. 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 02:58:05 AM »
you real sweetheart.  of course, kidding just as much as you.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 03:26:24 AM »
My feeling from visiting UVa, as well as from what I have heard from others, is that UVa, while being conservative compared to other top law schools, is not so in an absolute sense. There are more conservatives at UVa than at most other t-14's, but they are not in the majority.

And as a liberal, I think it would be better to go to a school like Chicago/UVa than NYU, for example. Being surrounded by people with opposing beliefs/ideology would provide more of a "real-world" experience than what I fear is an "echo chamber" like NYU.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 10:01:29 AM »
to be fair, NYU has a healthy conservative contingent roaming its hallways.  in fact, because the school is probably more politicized than say UVa, the coservative groups at NYU are likely more active and vocal than those at more relatively laid back and politically apathetic schools.