Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Yale  (Read 25371 times)

rfilmer

• View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Yale
« Reply #220 on: April 28, 2005, 10:47:18 PM »
Javert - you should fear for me, not fear me.

Yeah, I saw the waitlist email above.  Am I right that the only concrete information it really provides is that:

(the purgatory group) + (the waitlist group) - (those initially accepted out of the puratory group) < 100?

Maybe I'm missing something.

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: April 28, 2005, 11:22:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm newly registered here.  I only discovered this site a month or so ago and have been compulsively lurking here ever since I too received the purgatory email.  At this point, I think I must have read through the thing about 50 times, obsessing over every single clause.  How small does a group have to be to count as a “small group”?  When they say that they “expect to accept a number of applicants,” is it bad that they use the words “expect to accept” rather than “will accept”?   Is it good that they say “a number of applicants” and not a “few applicants”?  And so on.

Some mornings, I wake up and wonder if there ever was an email.  Those tend to be the better days.

What has me so confused about this is that they clearly think of the applicants in that group as not (yet) waitlisted.  The email says that explicitly and there is another group that is waitlisted.  But it also seems to be the case that no one is going to be accepted out of the purgatory group until they hear from everyone they’ve already let in, which makes it sound an awful lot like a waitlist.  The only thing I can think is that, while they definitely have some spots left, they won’t know exactly how many spots, or what specific holes in their class they need to fill, until after the initial deposit deadline.  That’s why they can’t just let some of us in now, despite the fact that the email strongly implies that there are at least some slots that are definitely left.  They’re waiting to see if, for instance, there’s a gender imbalance that they have to correct, or if they’re lacking for older students, or something along those lines.  I mean, it’s got to be something like that, right?  It would be just too mean to send out that email if they didn’t genuinely intend to let a decent percentage of those who received it in.  Right?  Right?  I know that this process can be opaque and capricious.  But it can’t involve deliberate meanness, can it?  Can it?

As for "a number" rather than "a few", I think "a number" is worse.  Zero is not a few, but zero is a number.
It's palm trees and sunshine for me!

PennQuaker

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSN:pennquaker
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Lubester
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 28, 2005, 11:26:35 PM »
Not to be the defeatist everyone-is-a-winner guy in the thread, but I think it's remarkable we (purgatory and waitlists alike) have even made it this far.  If that <100 figure reflects the new pool, I couldn't have imagined coming that close to being admitted.  Whatever happens, happens. 
Depositing: Stanford
Waitlisting: Yale, Harvard

rfilmer

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2005, 12:04:16 AM »
Not to be the defeatist everyone-is-a-winner guy in the thread, but I think it's remarkable we (purgatory and waitlists alike) have even made it this far. If that <100 figure reflects the new pool, I couldn't have imagined coming that close to being admitted. Whatever happens, happens.

I totally agree with you on the "it's an honor just to be nominated" thing.  Indeed, part of the reason I've become so obsessed with this is that getting that email really was a tremendous surprise, as I had written off my chances completely.  Oh, that and the fact that I really, really want to go to Yale.

lizrd618

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2005, 12:37:06 AM »
rfilmer -- welcome to the thread! it's always nice to see that other people share your neurotic obsessions, isn't it? i think so. good luck!

shmeli & trotwood -- yeah i'm totally psyched about SAIS, and will be going there regardless of which law school i end up at. they're extremely flexible with the whole joint degree thing -- in the past it's been done with pretty much all of the T14. the advantage of GULC, tho, is that i wouldn't have to move for four years, which would be nice.

javert -- i agree, you should call stanford for a status check.

anton -- interesting theory... and i do seem to be going thru an overly optimistic phase.

PennQuaker & rfilmer -- i completely agree. i'm amazed and thrilled that i even made it onto the waitlist. and now completely obsessed with getting off of it...
gpa 3.759, lsat 170 (ave.)
in: georgetown
out: stanford, harvard
waitlist purgatory: yale (i'll hold out as long as it takes, dammit!) & columbia

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2005, 09:42:38 AM »
Anyone in the purgatory crowd heard anything yet?  I've been checking my cell phone for messages obsessively, but there's never anything there. . .

rfilmer

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2005, 10:28:43 AM »
Anyone in the purgatory crowd heard anything yet? I've been checking my cell phone for messages obsessively, but there's never anything there. . .

Nothing on my end.   May 2 is Yale's deposit deadline, right?   I'm thinking Wednesday will be the day.

risingMC

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2005, 10:38:24 AM »
Not to be the defeatist everyone-is-a-winner guy in the thread, but I think it's remarkable we (purgatory and waitlists alike) have even made it this far. If that <100 figure reflects the new pool, I couldn't have imagined coming that close to being admitted. Whatever happens, happens.

I totally agree with you on the "it's an honor just to be nominated" thing.  Indeed, part of the reason I've become so obsessed with this is that getting that email really was a tremendous surprise, as I had written off my chances completely.  Oh, that and the fact that I really, really want to go to Yale.

It's also a little cruel, though. Because I expected a sure-fire rejection months ago, I never really let myself think about Yale. I never glaced at a pamphlet, or perused through their website, or checked out where their graduates ended up. But now this waitlist means that I DO have to research and learn, because I might be faced with a decision that needs to be made quickly. And because of this, my hopes are slightly up.  :-[

shmeli

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »
Agreed that it will be Wednesday.  It would be nice to hear before then, but I'm not expecting anything.  If I haven't heard anything by Thursday morning, I'm going to call.  So far I've restrained myself, hoping they'll reward me for my "patience."

anton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »

It's also a little cruel, though. Because I expected a sure-fire rejection months ago, I never really let myself think about Yale. I never glaced at a pamphlet, or perused through their website, or checked out where their graduates ended up. But now this waitlist means that I DO have to research and learn, because I might be faced with a decision that needs to be made quickly. And because of this, my hopes are slightly up.  :-[

Yeah, but our odds are pretty bad now, at least if you believe the numbers I'm about to make up.  Suppose they've already admitted 210 people.  They have an 80% yield, so 42 of those people will turn them down, leaving us with 168.  If 5 of them try to defer, that's 163, leaving 17 slots still to be filled.  With the currently waitlisted people, I'm guessing 80 people in the purgatory group, so that's only a 21.25% chance of admission, which is worse than my chiasu %.

So it's back to trying to convince myself that sunshine and the California attitude are better than no grades, a demonstrably superior faculty, and a much better academic placement history.  ::sigh::