Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cornell vs. UMich  (Read 773 times)

Undecided1L_05

• View Profile
Cornell vs. UMich
« on: April 12, 2005, 03:07:35 PM »
Hey everyone.  I have been an avid reader for a while, and I think that everyone on these message board have been great and supportive with advice.  With that said, I need some.

As per the title above, I am deciding between UMich and Cornell.  Though rankings may, to some ppl dictate that I should choose Mich, I dont want to just go based on that.  They both, for the most part, gave me about the same in grant money (Cornell about $12K, Mich about 11K,), and the schools are fairly similar (with the exception of class size).  I visited both -- and liked both -- though I think that I met more students at Cornell that had nothing to do with admitted day.. and though they told me both good and bad, they genuinely seemed happy to be there. Mich -- Everyone was awesome as well-- but I do not think that I met anyone that had no association with admitted students weekend (and I am sure that is partially my fault).

I would like my career path to kind of follow along these lines.

1 yr after grad, clerkship ( I know those are hard to get but its my goal), 2 yrs in a private firm, and then move to either government or a not for profit organization. For the most part, I would like to work in NYC, but that could change.  So what do you guys think?  Is Cornell not national enough ?  Is Mich not as strong on the east coast as Mich?  Do you think Cornell being an ivy league makes it better than Mich, or does it even matter?

So confused... thoughts appreciated.

longballz

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cornell vs. UMich
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 03:13:33 PM »
Gee, tough call. I'd hate to be in your shoes. Actually, I sorta am. I can't decide to have sex with Carmen Electra or J.Lo tonight.

Undecided1L_05

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 03:16:28 PM »
Gee, tough call. I'd hate to be in your shoes. Actually, I sorta am. I can't decide to have sex with Carmen Electra or J.Lo tonight.

lol.... cant help you make that decision.  Also a tough call.  Though I think JLo is sexier.

Now onto my decision... any thoughts?

Undecided1L_05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 03:29:14 PM »
bumping my own thread.... can you tell that I really need advice?  ;D

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 04:30:04 PM »
Oh, would I love to be in your shoes.

They're both national schools, at least from what I understand of the T14. So you shouldn't have a problem getting a job wherever you want in the US coming out of either of them (assuming you don't fail). But I guess if you want to work in NYC, if one gave you an edge, it might be the school actually in the state of NY.

If I had the choice, I'd probably pick Cornell. Ithaca is supposed to be pretty lame, but how much fun can you really expect to have during law school? And it's not like Ann Arbor is a thrill...

Maybe I'm biased though. I've lived in Michigan for 22 years and will do just about anything it takes to get out. And if I had the chance to go to an "ivy league" school, it'd be hard for me to pass it up. Every other person I meet here in Michigan has some affiliation with U of M.

Do you know what kind of law you want to practice? Maybe looking at some professors, courses or specific programs would help.
GW

larson

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 05:02:23 PM »
In terms of clerking I know Mich. places better but other than that it is a matter of opinion.

dreamer1

• Sr. Citizen
  • CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 05:04:26 PM »
I think UMich might have a slight edge over Cornell in prestige. But personally for me, it would really come down to the money between those two...I am really sweating about the idea of how much law school is gonna cost these days. I knew before that it would be expensive, but I think the idea is much more real now..
Attending: Columbia Law School

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 05:12:26 PM »
i'll give my usual advice.  flip a coin.  if you are disappointed by the outcome, go to the other school.

i'm picking michigan over cornell, but didn't visit cornell.  i think you should pick the one you prefer.  i honestly think michigan is slightly more national, but at that point you are really splitting hairs.

edit: just reread your post.  i think michigan has better clerkship rates and i don't think the ivy degree counts for anything since you will be hired by attorneys who know the strength of the school.  cornell may impress more laypeople.

Undecided1L_05

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 05:47:48 PM »
Thank you guys for your replies.  I liked Michigan -- and as I said before I dont think that I spoke to many students outside of preview weekend.  Though I did go to the first preview weekend, and I barely, saw students (was that a sign already in terms of them being holed up in the library)?  I do know that there is a 90% chance that I will be aiming for NY -- my fam is there and I want to be near to my parents (especially as they are getting older).  I guess I dont want to just jump on the name (i.e. Cornell), but I had a great time there.  I think their events were a bit more fun and intimate (ie.b/c the school is small).

Thoughts, anyone else?

St. Shaun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 06:02:02 PM »
Thank you guys for your replies.  I liked Michigan -- and as I said before I dont think that I spoke to many students outside of preview weekend.  Though I did go to the first preview weekend, and I barely, saw students (was that a sign already in terms of them being holed up in the library)?  I do know that there is a 90% chance that I will be aiming for NY -- my fam is there and I want to be near to my parents (especially as they are getting older).  I guess I dont want to just jump on the name (i.e. Cornell), but I had a great time there.  I think their events were a bit more fun and intimate (ie.b/c the school is small).

Thoughts, anyone else?

I was at the second preview weekend and about half the current students I talked too
weren't associated with the admission weekend.  I was suprised, talking to the current
students who I just met on the street or campus, how little time they spend studying.
Given they still study roughly the equivalent of a work day and some on the weekends,
I would say that you didn't see many students not because they were buried in the library,
but because they were out and about. 

Michigan does seem to place better for clerkships, but if the clerkship is just a means
to an end for you I wouldn't put to much weight on it. 

There both great schools, and your gonna spend three years at one of them.  I would
say pick the one you would rather spend three years at.
You can't make everyone happy...
but you can sure piss everyone off.