Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which school in the DC area  (Read 861 times)

wolf

• View Profile
Which school in the DC area
« on: April 12, 2005, 02:20:44 PM »
Hello ppl,

I've been accepted for part-time into

GMU and Georgetown

Waiting for a decision on George Washington..

While Georgetown is clearly better than GMU the tuition is close to 50 K for 4 years in GMU compared to 100 K at Georgetown

Any suggestions about how different these schools are? and is the 50 K extra worth it?

weinmatt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which school in the DC area
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 02:24:12 PM »
Depends on your career aspirations and competitiveness.

See... if your end goal is $. Graduating in the top 5-10% at gmu might equate to being in the top 50% at Gtown. If you are competitive... and you think you will do better than top 50% at gtown. go there. you'll make more than enough more $ to cover the 50k difference

ASNetlenov

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 02:26:16 PM »
I would say it is not worth it because Mason is doing well. If you can get into GU, you should be one of the stronger students there and should not worry too much about job opportunities.

wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 02:43:25 PM »
Thanx for the replies

I'm leaning towards GU just cause I don't want to miss out on the opportunity.

How does a possible admit from George Washington fit into this picture? does is matter at all - cause money wise it's about the same as GU and the ranking is slightly worse than GU.

I understand that the US news rankings are not perfect.. so just want some more info comparing these schools. How much does the "name" of the school matter in your prospects..

loryivey

• AOL Instant Messenger - loryivey
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 02:46:04 PM »
Honestly, I would say it doesn't matter at all... Unless GWU offers you big bucks to go there.  Aside from that, I'd say GU hands down.

Good luck!

alibami_z

• Sr. Citizen
  • Law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 02:48:06 PM »
Congratulations on your acceptances.

I know this is not an easy decision since I, too, had to make a decision between DC schools.

That being said, have you visited the schools?  I went to GMU, GW, and GULC and found that I had radically different impressions of the schools once I visited.  This is an extremely personal (gut) reaction but after visiting GMU I decided not to even apply since I knew I would not be happy there for three years just based on the campus, school location, etc.  I had the exact opposite reaction to GULC.  I am excited about my decision to go and am confident that I will feel confortable in my environment for the next three years.

Next, my husband works for the federal government and worked closely with legal counsel in DC.  They spoke at length about my choices.  The legal counsel said that it was worth my turning down $60K at GW to go to GULC.  It isn't just the rank.  It's the quality of instructors that they can attract, the amount of on-campus interviewing and the quality of firms that visit, the opportunities (clinics, moot Supreme Court, course offerings, connections), etc.

Of course my career goals may be completely different than yours so all of this may or may not apply.  I do know that I am very comfortable with my decision and will be proud to graduate from GULC.  

Whatever you decide, be proud because you got into some great schools.  You really can't make a bad decision, but good luck because I know this is a difficult choice.
Georgetown University Law Center
Class of 2008

wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 02:57:45 PM »
Thanks ali,

I did attend the open house that GMU had 2 days back. The feel is kind of like entering into a pretty small school.. the students were nice and were very happy about being at GMU. The library, their journals and other extra-curricular activities they have looked fine. But I really can't compare because I have not visited GULU or any other school yet (Got the admission from GULU today :-)).

KODIAK

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 02:59:45 PM »
Dude who cares about what USNEWS ranks GMU?  If you want to work in DC, GULC has as good a name as Harvard basically.  GMU has done a great job manipulating the rankings to move up, but GULC has an established alumni base in DC that loves giving jobs to fellow grads.  You'd be insane to take GMU over GU.

jdw112

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 03:03:02 PM »
They are bleeding. They lost like 10% of their class after 1L.

the students were nice and were very happy about being at GMU.

wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 03:05:51 PM »
They are bleeding. They lost like 10% of their class after 1L.

pardon the noob question.. but does 1L mean first-year?