Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LORs from different areas of study?  (Read 1233 times)

M2

LORs from different areas of study?
« on: May 27, 2004, 12:46:52 PM »
Would it be wise to get a LOR from two people in diff areas of study?

I had planned on getting on from two of my computer Science Professors that I have worked with over the years, but someone told me it might be wise to only get one from one of them and another from a prof in a different subject. (or 1 from each of them and a third from a diff subject).

Does anyone have any input on this?

nathanielmark

Re: LORs from different areas of study?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 12:48:06 PM »
It could add another dimension to your app.  i would say go for it if you can, if not it shouldnt make an ounce of difference.

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 09:20:52 PM »
While I can't tell you what law schools are going to think, my personal opinion is that you're going to want letters of recommendation that each say something unique about you as a candidate.  If two computer science professors have had different experiences with you, I would say go for it; if they are going to both say "M2 was a good student in my computer science class" I think it would be better to get one from someone else.  I'll tell you my strategy and see if it gives you any help.

I'm an engineer and have talked to a bunch of admissions officers about how engineers are perceived, what they see as weakenesses and strength, etc.  The theme I have gotten is that engineers are hard workers with good analytical skills, but that admissions officers are worried about their ability to communicate and to do well in a non-technical field like law.  To combat the communications stigma, I had my technical writing professor (who used to teach English) write a letter talking about my writing skills and my public speaking ability.  My second letter of recommendation is coming from a professor I took for a Philosophy of Law class; I made sure I contributed a LOT in his class, and also wrote a completely unrequested paper based off a question I asked him about drug addiction and the insanity defense.  I spent many, many hours in the law library doing research for this paper, and I think he was really impressed when one day I just dropped in to office hours and handed it to him.  Finally, I've TAed for an engineering class for the past three years, and I'm going to have the professor I worked with submit a letter regarding those experiences.  While this won't directly combat any of the engineering stigmas, I plan on writing my personal essay on my experiences working there, and I think a letter of rec from him will help flesh out that part of my app.

Anyway, just my opinion on the matter.  It probably doesn't matter WHO you get a letter from as much as what they say.

M2

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »
Great advice there about the communication issue.

thanks.

jg049457

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 03:50:24 PM »
I'm doing the same thing. I asked the two professors that were in charge of our theatre group to write me LOR because I was president of the club, took on responsibilities that the other officers decided not to do, took pictures, acted, performed, took classes, etc.

But since I was only a Performing Arts minor, I figured I should get a professor in the business school to write me a rec as well just so my file isn't just theatre, theatre, theatre. So my favorite MIS professor is writing me one as well.