Law School Discussion

$$$ vs. Location vs. Prestige

krbr

• I've got 99 problems and law school is one...
    • View Profile
$$$ vs. Location vs. Prestige
« on: April 12, 2005, 11:51:51 AM »
I ultimately want to live/work in the Bay Area, but I have no ties to the West Coast aside from having grown up in Oregon (went to East Coast college and folks now live on East Coast).  I heard Cali firms are hesitant to hire people who lack such ties.  With this in mind, which should I choose & why?

Going to William & Mary (in-state + 5k scholarship) would be half as much as Hastings or BU, which is a freaking lot.  But can it get me to Cali?

Going to Hastings would get me to Cali quicker and would virtually guarantee me jobs in the Bay Area.  But I would assume the same amount of debt as if I went to BU ($140k, ugh), which seems a bad choice given the gap in rankings.

Going to BU would give me a prestigious name, but if I screw up I'll be locked in New England for a while, which isn't very desirable for me.

kristay

Re: $$$ vs. Location vs. Prestige
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 11:55:12 AM »
Hastings.  The difference in rankings between BU and Hastings doesn't mean much in California. 

jdw112

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 11:57:26 AM »
If you go to W&M to save money, you can live off the savings while you look for a job in Cali.  ::)

If you are concerned about establishing ties on the West coast (to help in the eyes of firms), Going to Hasting might help, W&M doesn't.

ASNetlenov

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:07:36 PM »
Sounds like you should go to Hastings. If you do not have ties out there already law firms may look at you skeptically when you come asking for a job. The debts sucks, no doubt about that, but when figured the course of a career it may not be so bad. Is Cali worth the $1000/mo or so it will cost to pay the debt off?

kristay

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 12:10:08 PM »
Oh yeah, and look into getting instate residency after 1 year (most of my out of state friends who came to CA did this).

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:12:59 PM »
Don't go to the Bay Area to work/ live without spending a significant time there before.  IT's expensive and I must say the people aren't too attractive.  The good-looking ones tend to migrate southward to LA :) visit first at least.  If you're still sold, lie!  What are they going to do, call your aunt that you visited here every summer?

mememe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 02:26:39 PM »
Go to Hastings.  You can get in-state after 1 year.  Plus San Fran is way cooler than Williamsburg.  If you want to live in the Bay Area, I don't even know how Williamsburg can appeal to you.  They are about as different as night and day.