Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse vs. Penn State-Dickinson  (Read 466 times)

biolawgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Syracuse vs. Penn State-Dickinson
« on: April 12, 2005, 01:20:49 PM »
hi. So i sent in my deposit last week to PSDickinson. But i found out today I got into Syracuse.  I am on the waitlist at a few places that are my dream schools, but anyone have any suggestions about which dickinson vs. syracuse. I am worried about the type of employment gained from syracuse.  Just any thoughts would be helpful :)  They're both 2nd tier now so I guess that's good. I have always loved the orangeman mascot tho..hehehe I am visiting syracasue on april 29th, but until then share your thoughts.
I love my philly phanatic :)

F05HOPEFUL

Re: Syracuse vs. Penn State-Dickinson
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 01:33:28 PM »
I havent visited Syracuse, but I liked their numbers better.  Seemed like they had some pretty respectable status in Upstate NY and NYC.

PSU's main market is Harrisburg, Baltimore, and somewhat in Philly

bdc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 02:45:16 PM »
Its no longer orangemen, its just plain orange now.  political correctness I guess.  I was at their visitors day and I really liked the school and the people.  My only concern is I don't know if I will be able to leave upstate ny after grad (not sure I want more then 3 years of the winters).  I dont know much about penn st. 

Freznic

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 03:10:47 PM »
I plan to work in Central PA, so PSU is the best option for me.

However, I love upstate and, if it werenít for family obligations, I'd seriously consider it!

That being said, I think both schools are regional, which I understand to mean that you will most likely end up working in that region (there's been a lot of discussion about this and I do not want to draw fire  ;)). If you look at the US News numbers, with some exceptions (many Penn grads work in NYC, for example), this is true for most of the schools. I don't know if you care to work in New York City, but you might check out how passing the NY bar increases your chances for finding work in NYC. Some stiff competition, I think! Good luck!

Freznic

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 03:13:35 PM »
I havent visited Syracuse, but I liked their numbers better.  Seemed like they had some pretty respectable status in Upstate NY and NYC.

PSU's main market is Harrisburg, Baltimore, and somewhat in Philly

How do you mean? I haven't seen the 2006 US News numbers in any detail. Just saw PSU-90 and Syracuse-95. Are employment or bar passage better?

BeesKnees

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 12:03:16 AM »
 I was accepted to both Penn State and Syracuse.

I am choosing Syracuse.

Part of that is its location in Upstate NY.  Yeah itís cold, but I am used to it, and its closer to my family and friends in Toronto and Ottawa.

I think with either school, you would be hard pressed to get a job in NYC, DC or Philly (yes, there are always exception, but címon).  I think it boils down to where you see yourself living, at least for a few years.

I visited Dickinson during a whirlwind tour of law schools back in Feb (MSU, Toledo, Dayton, PSU, Albany and Syracuse).  While I arrived at Dickinson at night, and was not able speak with anyone, I got a favourable impression of the school.

The law building is old and beautiful Ė at times I felt like I was in an old mansion.  The classrooms were not state of the art and I wasnít able to ask about wireless and such, but I assume they have all that. 

While none of the admissions/career services staff were there that late, there were a number of career services postings on the wall, both summer and full time.  There were quite a number throughout the northeast, not just in Carlise and Harrisburg.  (thatís not to stay they necessarily hire from Penn State, but the quantity and quality of postings was encouraging.)

And while there is some controversy, I think the whole thing will keep the PSU Dickinson school from being complacent and will result in a rise in rankings (not sure if the same can be said about Syracuse, but what do I know.)

Anyways, thatís my two cents

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 04:59:28 AM »
I think you know where I stand.  I like upstate NY, but I think PSU has advantages.  Syracuse is 7K more per year!  Also, I don't know, but wouldn't Syracuse face some competition from Cornell, at least for summer employment.  Also, while Syracuse may place better in NYC, PSU will place better in Philly.  I also think PSU will place better in Philly than Syracuse in NYC, only because the competition in NYC is tremendous.  Both have similar requirements for degree and class offerings.  What is Syracuse like building wise?  Also, what jobs are nearby for the summer, is it as good as Harrisburg.  Minor note; the skiing is superior in NY, darn it and I'm going to PSU.  Also, I just thought of another huge bonus for PSU, Iíll be there and I pretty fricken cool (joking).  This is a tough one, I considered applying to Syracuse, but initially I liked PSU better and couldn't justify the extra 7K per year.

-good luck