Law School Discussion

Bloomington this weekend

Bloomington this weekend
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:11:34 AM »
I am visiting IU Bloomington this weekend and I know the little 500 is going on.  Are there any specific activities that are really great this weekend? 

ilsox7

Re: Bloomington this weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 11:05:29 AM »
I am visiting IU Bloomington this weekend and I know the little 500 is going on.  Are there any specific activities that are really great this weekend? 

Wow.  It's probly the worst time you could possibly pick to visit IU.  TONS of alums are coming in (including myself).  This means that pretty much every restaurant, bar, and hotel will be packed.  However, if you want to check out either race (Friday Women's and Saturday Men's) you can do that.  However, it's on the boring side if you do not have a rooting interesting.  Basically this is a HUGE party weekend.  You will see cops ALL over the place.  Traffic will also suck.  Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 11:07:18 AM »
The actual races are this weekend, I'm pretty sure it's something like $18-$20 for tickets.  I went freshman year and thought that was enough.  It's pretty much a Greek thing, but fun if you know any of the riders.

The bars will be packed pretty much all week, and a lot of people will have parties.  There are concerts all week, but I'm not sure where all of them are.  The Student Board is hosting The Roots at the Auditorium, tickets are around $30, but I think that is the student price. 

This wasn't very helpful with specific events, but trust me you can just walk around and find stuff.  I'm sure there will be things going on in Dunn Meadow, which is right down the street from the Law School and the Union Building. 

By the way, as far as bars are concerned, Kilroy's on Kirkwood is pretty much all frats and sororities but can be fun.  Upstairs is always really crowded and you can barely walk and also very hot, but if you go there get an AMF.  Nick's is an older crowd and always a fun time, more of a chill atmosphere, but definitely go here and play Sink the Biz. All of those bars are on Kirkwood.  On Walnut, there is the Bluebird which usually  has live music, and then there is Sports which is more of a dance club type atmosphere and usually a younger crowd but probably not this weekend because the police will be looking for Fake ID's. 

Any other questions feel free to ask and have fun.  It's supposed to be great weather. 

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 11:11:31 AM »
The actual races are this weekend, I'm pretty sure it's something like $18-$20 for tickets.  I went freshman year and thought that was enough.  It's pretty much a Greek thing, but fun if you know any of the riders.

The bars will be packed pretty much all week, and a lot of people will have parties.  There are concerts all week, but I'm not sure where all of them are.  The Student Board is hosting The Roots at the Auditorium, tickets are around $30, but I think that is the student price. 

This wasn't very helpful with specific events, but trust me you can just walk around and find stuff.  I'm sure there will be things going on in Dunn Meadow, which is right down the street from the Law School and the Union Building. 

By the way, as far as bars are concerned, Kilroy's on Kirkwood is pretty much all frats and sororities but can be fun.  Upstairs is always really crowded and you can barely walk and also very hot, but if you go there get an AMF.  Nick's is an older crowd and always a fun time, more of a chill atmosphere, but definitely go here and play Sink the Biz. All of those bars are on Kirkwood.  On Walnut, there is the Bluebird which usually  has live music, and then there is Sports which is more of a dance club type atmosphere and usually a younger crowd but probably not this weekend because the police will be looking for Fake ID's. 

Any other questions feel free to ask and have fun.  It's supposed to be great weather. 

I can't wait!  Don't forget about Bears (Jordan and 3rd) on Thursday night.  Keraoke, Hairs Bears, and LITs.  All make for a good time.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 11:18:50 AM »
It's just getting warm enough for me to walk to Bear's but I doubt I will be making my debut this weekend, that would be crazy. 

ilsox7

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 11:21:06 AM »
It's just getting warm enough for me to walk to Bear's but I doubt I will be making my debut this weekend, that would be crazy. 

Ah but you should.  All of the cool kids are going Thursday.  I'm actually a little scared...

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 08:33:01 AM »
thanks, yea I'll be bringing a crew down and I heard it's gonna be nuts so we wanted to see if there were things to do.  sounds amazing.  I'm visiting my lil bro and he's only a freshman, so I'm glad you gave me the skinny on the bar scene.  keep it real and you should definitely come out.  undergrad will be ending shortly...boooooo