Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So, exactly how screwed am I?  (Read 1418 times)

legallady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So, exactly how screwed am I?
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:06:11 PM »
Before I say anything else, I just want to say that I don't want to hear what I should have done. I am well aware of that :)

So, it looks like I am one of the lucky few this year who is actually not accepted anywhere (well, I haven't heard from Penn yet, but let's not kid ourselves) with a 3.71/161. I have all kinds of qualifiers for my GPA (it's from a top 10 liberal arts college, there is a marked upward trend in grades, among others), and I could talk about my soft factors all day, but I guess none of that matters. I haven't been arrested or anything, and there are no major flaws in my academic record, so I don't think there is anything holding me back besides my LSAT score.

I am, however, on three waitlists: GW, Fordham, and American. I have already sent GW a letter of continued interest that outlines why I am a good fit for GW law and states that I will definitely enroll if accepted, an additional essay that explains my unique situation growing up and my history of standardized test scores (my SATs were crap for the college I went to, but I still graduated in the top 10% of my class), and I will send them a letter of recommendation from one of my supervisors shortly. I have also sent a letter of interest to Fordham, and contacted the executive director of a nonprofit I interned at two summers ago who is a professor at Fordham who said she would write something to the admissions committee there. I haven't sent anything to AU yet because I just received the letter the other day.

I'm not sure what kind of suggestions anyone can give besides "be patient" and "apply again next year", but I thought I'd give it a shot and see what you guys have to say. I really DON'T want to have to apply again next year, and more than anything I don't want to have to re-take the LSAT. I took it twice: once preparing extensively on my own (I ended up cancelling that one) and once after putting myself into poverty via a Prinecton Review course. I think I have taken all but two of all of the LSATs that have been published to date. I swear I'm not an idiot, it's just something about that damn test.

Anyway, is it realistic of me to expect that I could get in off of one of these waitlists? Can anyone think of anything else I can do this admissions cycle?
In: NOWHERE!
Waitlist: GW, Fordham, American
Out: Ha! Many... but let's focus on the semi-positive at this point, shall we?

jdw112

Re: So, exactly how screwed am I?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 12:14:46 PM »
I wouldn't say you are screwed. You have a wonderful GPA, a respectable LSAT score, and lots of support in this forum. You can keep hope alive for the WL's you are on, but you can start planning for the next cycle. Think about it, you have completed your apps, paid your fees, and even submitted letters of continued interest. At this point it is out of your hands. Do not simply "apply again next year". If you do nothing to make your apps stronger, you have no reason to expect different outcomes. Maybe you could spend part of the summer strenthening your soft factors. Ever consider retaking the LSAT? With your GPA, a higher LSAT score could give you a huge advantage going into the next cycle. Just make sure you don't kill any animals, or get put on the Homeland Security watch list at any point in the next year.

princesssnadia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 12:15:58 PM »
Maybe next year if you apply earlier you will have a better shot. Taking a year off is not soooo bad, I did and was glad I did it. I got to do alot of things this year that I always wanted to do, and probably wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to do had I not taken a yr. off. Plus if you are coming straight out of college (?) it's good to have a yr. to work.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:17:22 PM »
1) Have a rich relative make a substantial contribution to the school of your choice. (ie Kennedy)

2) Have a powerful relative talk to the Dean.  (ie Dan Q.)

3) Move to one of the 8 states or so where you do not have to go to LS to be eligible for the bar.

4) Offer yourself to the Dean of Admissions.

HTH

---------

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 12:18:01 PM »
Before I say anything else, I just want to say that I don't want to hear what I should have done. I am well aware of that :)

So, it looks like I am one of the lucky few this year who is actually not accepted anywhere (well, I haven't heard from Penn yet, but let's not kid ourselves) with a 3.71/161. I have all kinds of qualifiers for my GPA (it's from a top 10 liberal arts college, there is a marked upward trend in grades, among others), and I could talk about my soft factors all day, but I guess none of that matters. I haven't been arrested or anything, and there are no major flaws in my academic record, so I don't think there is anything holding me back besides my LSAT score.

I am, however, on three waitlists: GW, Fordham, and American. I have already sent GW a letter of continued interest that outlines why I am a good fit for GW law and states that I will definitely enroll if accepted, an additional essay that explains my unique situation growing up and my history of standardized test scores (my SATs were crap for the college I went to, but I still graduated in the top 10% of my class), and I will send them a letter of recommendation from one of my supervisors shortly. I have also sent a letter of interest to Fordham, and contacted the executive director of a nonprofit I interned at two summers ago who is a professor at Fordham who said she would write something to the admissions committee there. I haven't sent anything to AU yet because I just received the letter the other day.

I'm not sure what kind of suggestions anyone can give besides "be patient" and "apply again next year", but I thought I'd give it a shot and see what you guys have to say. I really DON'T want to have to apply again next year, and more than anything I don't want to have to re-take the LSAT. I took it twice: once preparing extensively on my own (I ended up cancelling that one) and once after putting myself into poverty via a Prinecton Review course. I think I have taken all but two of all of the LSATs that have been published to date. I swear I'm not an idiot, it's just something about that damn test.

Anyway, is it realistic of me to expect that I could get in off of one of these waitlists? Can anyone think of anything else I can do this admissions cycle?

Try a new volunteer experience. My nonprofit background gave me a very slight edge in the admissions cycle. Go to www.idealist.org, and look at what is offered. Then write a letter to the school detailing your new experience, why you chose to do it, and what you're learning.

fliingdutchmn

• Sr. Citizen
  • You're a dirty bugger aren't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:20:14 PM »
I feel for your situation.  It seems to me like you are doing everything possible to prod the schools at which you've been waitlisted.  I have two suggestions:  What about telling these schools that you'd attend PT.  We have similar #s and also got waitlisted at all three of those schools (well, I think fordham is 'on hold' and not WL, but whatever)!!  All three have an option for the committe to consider you for PT entry.  This may give you some advantage, though I don't know how much.  I accepted PT consideration at Fordham.  The only prob w/ PT is...well, it's PT.  Secondly, if you really don't want to wait a year, what about finding a school that is still accepting apps and spit one out to them.  I mean, just in case, right?

MSUDuster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 12:21:58 PM »
Legallady - don't feel down and out yet! Those WL's will be reviewed in June, so there is hope. And a lot of people apply and get in nowhere. Think about how many people take the lsat a year, how many available spots there are, and then how many people actually get through the admissions process.

I took a year off of school to work. It's not so bad. You get an idea of life outside of academia and make a paycheck. It's really nice to write papers and get paid for it.

As per what you can do this year, send those schools your final transcript, definitely get 2-3 more letters of rec sent, and write an additional statement if they allow it. Persistence pays off. Unless you're trying to date someone who already turned you down, that's creepy.

bruiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 12:22:37 PM »
I'm a GW 1L.  I would express your interest in the evening programs at the schools to which you applied.

Cheers!

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 12:29:38 PM »
Check USNWR and see which of those schools typically has the most "yield" issues.  Target the hell out of that school, and basically make it clear, in no uncertain terms, that if they extend you an offer you will take it.  Do this, of course, in a professional manner, while highlighting all that is great about you and perhaps including the best essay you've ever written, about why you want to go there.

wongsb

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 12:29:57 PM »
Did you apply very late?  I am really surprised you aren't walking into American with the doors wide open..

I'm in a similar situation with a whack of waitlists thanks to a low GPA and may take LSAT again in October as there isn't any other way I can otherwise improve my app (EDIT) :-\.