Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Etiquette question.  (Read 1989 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Etiquette question.
« on: May 27, 2004, 10:45:28 AM »
So here's the deal:

I asked one of my professors for a recommendation, went and saw him personally and handed him my resume, a transcript, and the LOR form from LSAC.  I also asked him to send a rec to the doc file I have set up through my school's office of career services (a service that I count as much more reliable than LSAC...)This all occured on March 23.

I told him there was no rush, since my applications were being sent out in late September/early October, and as long as they were in sometime in the early summer, that was fine.

He said no problem, that he had a few that were due asap, and he'd put me in the queue.  His rec hasn't been sent to either doc service yet.

Now, I sent him a card saying thank you for your rec, blah blah blah in the end of April/beginning of May.  BU finals were going on at this point, and graduation was last weekend.  So I can assume that my prof has been busy.

My question is, since I've already sent a thank you card, what would my options be in terms of a reminder be?  Would an email be ok?  And when would it be appropriate to ask him about it, since it's been 2 months, but I said that early summer was timely?

I'm really not obsessing over this as much as this post makes it sound.  It's just a potential issue that could come up, and I'm wondering what everyone else things.

Thanks!  :)

nathanielmark

Re: Etiquette question.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 10:48:13 AM »
i think email is the least confrontational way to go about it.  my boss is writing my first one. i told her anytime within a month or so would be fine.  if i dont hear from her by the end of july i will eamail her and ask her about it. 

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 11:52:20 AM »
I agree that an email would be a good idea. 

nathanielmark

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:05:40 PM »
you may even want to say you are giving him/her a "friendly" reminder.

you can also mention how LSAC is known to dawdle (sp?) on processing LORs and with competition being crazy as it is, you want to have your completed apps in as early as possible. 

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 12:26:16 PM »
It took several weeks from when my boss sent in my recommendation (I actually watched her mail it, so I know that's when she sent it out) until the time when LSAC acknowledged its receipt on their website. So maybe your email could say something about "I know you probably already sent it but I just want to check in because this darn website is so slow" or whatever--somehow blame it on the LSAC.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone!  :D