Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cardozo Admit Weekend (Out of Towners)  (Read 1741 times)

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LeftMusic
    • View Profile
Cardozo Admit Weekend (Out of Towners)
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:52:48 AM »
Well, I am waiting for the shuttle to take me to the airport but I thought I'd drop in and make some notes on how the Cardozo Admit Weekend went.

First, I have to say, Cardozo REALLY knows how to hook in the students. I mean, who doesn't love catered breakfast/lunch and free legal pads and pens? ;) Plus a free walking tour of Greenwich Village (which were KILLER on my feet). All this on top of the $400 reimbursement for travel expenses! Definitely felt the atmosphere was to truly court the accepted students which happens at the other schools I've seen, but more extreme here. I liked it because although they really pimped out the event, they also used the event to truly show the school to us.

Top thing I loved was the access to the other prospective students in my same situation. 1/2 those there were from California which was really surprising to me since California isn't known to be a feeder state for Cardozo, but maybe that was why there were so many. The students came from so many different educational and work and interest backgrounds but a lot of us had the same concerns because we had to move so far to come to school here and most of us were not used to the NY lifestyle. They really tried to pair us up with student hosts that were from our area, either by location or interest. I really liked the personalized feel of it despite there being 70+ students there.

Second thing I loved was the access to the faculty. First off, I really liked the property mock class. The professor didn't try to make it easy on us (except he did take volunteers instead of socratic method), but he really critiqued every response and definitely made me think. I came in there thinking one thing about the material and came out of it seeing a whole new light. Lets just say exemptions aren't very easy to read the first time :)

Besides the cool property professor, I also got to meet Professor Hughes who does the IP courses. He is GREAT! So blunt and honest, had a few "honest" things to say about my other schools, but I found him very humorous and knowledgeable. His thoughts on the whole laptop in-class issue (Cardozo has no wireless in class, btw) was pretty funny. He proposed a NO-computer experiment which I thought was quite daring and probably would only be realized in theory ;)

A visiting professor, Nimmer, was also extremely knowledgeable. He also teaches at UCLA so he had nothing but good things to say about both schools. He was also very "honest" to me about one of my schools and I liked that. Neither of these professors were patent type professors so that was different. I probably won't do a science anyway.

The school truly feels like an up and coming school. Keep in mind it is still competing with Columbia, NYU and Fordham and arguably Brooklyn but the school faculty makes no false claims that it is above those schools at this point. They really listen to their students. Their curriculum is constantly changing based on student demand and they really work with student organizations to "make things happen". One of the student hosts told us about his human rights panel that he simply asked the school if he could have one and they made it into a big event. I thought that was really impressive considering he was only there for a few months before they did it (he is a 1L). Also, just looking at the places where the recent graduates have gone to work is really impressive. The career services guy explained that most firms who do OCI go to top 10-15%, which I think is reasonable considering the young age of the school. However, there are several programs besides OCI that help.

The one I thought was interesting was their clinics. You get to work with clients and maybe even go to court through these clinics. If I remember correctly, they have a tax clinic and mediation and I can't really remember what else, sorry. I know they don't have an Entertainment IP clinic but there are externships and other things to do for those following that path. A lot of the students there were into public interest which surprises me considering the high cost of the school and the fact that their LRAP program is still pretty new and doesn't really help out ALL that much.

Another program that sounded pretty cool was the ITAP (is that right?) program. It is this intensive program that happens in January where students go in and pretty much learn what it is like to be a litigator. They get critiqued DAILY and have to give opening statements twice the first day and it only builds momentum up to the last day where they have to do the whole case from opening to closing. I thought that was very nice and gives an opportunity for practical skills. They say about 100 students participated last year in this program and it is definitely a self-awareness tool.

Okay, some logistics. Cardozo is on the corner of 5th and 12th (I think) and the school occupies half of a building with I don't know how many stories, but Cardozo takes up 11 of them. The whole building it owned by Yeshiva University though. The first floor has the moot court room and the lobby, the 2nd floor is mostly classes, the 3rd floor is almost entirely made up of a student lounge area/locker section along with some lecture halls, I THINK 4, 5 and 6 is the library and then offices and more classes above. It is VERY new looking and definitely the cleanest and most open, air conditioned rooms I've seen so far.

Most people use the elevator and that is almost the only answer you'll get when you ask someone at Cardozo, "Tell me what you like the least about the school". There are only 3 elevators and it is supposedly really hectic and crowded. There was an interesting discussion on the rolly-luggage people vs. the non-rolly luggage people. A little resentment I think of the rolly-luggages taking a space on the elevator, haha.

There is an apartment building a block away from Cardozo and it is $1150 to share a bedroom or $1650 for a studio. It is called the Alabama and most of the apartments are owned by Cardozo but some are still occupied by the original renters. I didn't get a chance to visit but you can't beat that price for the location. However, most students live in Brooklyn and take the train or walk to school from there. It is supposed to be more convenient than actually living in the city.

There is more information but I'm tired and I am starting to lose memory cells :) I am also running out of internet time, but I just wanted to leave a quick note on what I liked. I will have more in depth discussion later. I am sure other admits weekend visitors will also chime in.

Love,
Q

ruby

Re: Cardozo Admit Weekend (Out of Towners)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 08:32:55 AM »
thanks for the info. is the apt run by the school or does it just cater to cardozo students? do you know the address or name of the place too? thanks

ajax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 09:46:51 AM »
the apt is run by the school- they own the building if i'm remembering right.  don't know the address but the name of the building is the alabama.  i saw it when i visited cardozo ~ a month ago, and it is about what you'd expect for manhattan.  you can definitely do better $/space-wise in brooklyn. 

Snuvy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Trust me, I'm a lawyer.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Snuvy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »

i'm so sad i didn't go

thank you for so much information though

*cry*

Boston College c/o 2008
A Distant Past

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 04:27:23 PM »
The Alabama is partially owned by Cardozo. They bought as many spaces as possible but some residents are still there who are older couples. The school hopes to buy out the whole building soon. It is on 11th Avenue. I am not sure the exact address.

michaelduke

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 10:22:27 AM »
The Alabama is partially owned by Cardozo. They bought as many spaces as possible but some residents are still there who are older couples. The school hopes to buy out the whole building soon. It is on 11th Avenue. I am not sure the exact address.

Bump. 

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimaxony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 10:55:36 AM »
I loved the reception as well!!  Now I'm trying to match faces w/ LSD names.  Starresky, where are you from again? 

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 11:02:19 AM »
Did you meet Marco from California?  He's the only one I can think of that I met from there.  I hung with the may starters.  There were like 5 of us.

Starresky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 11:24:19 AM »
No, I didn't. I remember meeting a Matt, Rachel, Cheryl, Lulu and a Devrin. There were others but those are the names I remember.

Xony

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 11:32:18 AM »
well I was with Matt, Rachel, and Lulu. :)  but not one of the names u listed.