Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYLS Admitted Students Day- Comments?  (Read 680 times)

Tymeless

• View Profile
NYLS Admitted Students Day- Comments?
« on: April 12, 2005, 12:18:03 AM »
Well I attended NYLS admitted students day this past weekend and I am sort of skeptical. I mean overall it was nice, but just a bit too nice and that is what has me thinking. Am I the only one?
Anyone else attend?
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
I am taking all the shots I can.
In:NYLS, Touro
Out: St. Johns, Brooklyn, Hofstra (Damn, Damn, Damn!!!)

jim411

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYLS Admitted Students Day- Comments?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 11:47:43 AM »
I attended that event.  It was nice.  Very crowded.  I attended a session on how to pay for the school and I could not believe the cost.  Part Time $29,000 a year.  I got my financial aid letter (since I did apply) and there was no aid at all.  I would have to take 3 loans per semester to afford.

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 12:03:35 PM »
I went to the program as well and here were my thoughts:
Breakfast Presentations- The Dean and Head of Admissions did a really nice job. I really liked them and were impressed with their remarks. The staff was welcoming and friendly.
Mock Class-Death Penalty- I was impressed with the Professor. Although I am not a supporter of the death penalty, I never once felt intimidated or like he was unreasonable. Maybe a little passionate but there are worse things.
Career Services- This lady was really on the ball. That is one element of NYLS that scares me a bit. I want to stay in NYC and obviously the market here is tight. It helps that I want to do public interest law and not corporate but still. I was impressed with her presentation and she seemed ready to go to bat for anyone.
Facilities- Ok here was the big downer. Part of it is not the fault of NYLS because old NYC buildings are typically dreary and have narrow hallways, but at 30,000 a year they should be able to invest a little more. Our tour only took us around the bottom of the library but that part was not impressive. The lockers were troll sized and I can just imagine it is a nightmare to get your crap out of them with people trying to get around. The classrooms were ok but nothing to write home about.
Location-This is important for me because I already live in NYC and want to stay. I have narrowed it down to Hofstra and NYLS (unless a WL comes through). Tribeca is a great place with good restaurants and shops - not to far for more clinics and internships. Overall it is one of NYLS' biggest selling points.

I think we came away with similar attitudes. I was pleasantly suprised with the people and the location and ended up liking a lot more than I thought I would. They offered me money which defn helps and Hofstra's commute is really gonna suck. This is what I generally thought. What did everybody else think?
Attending: Brooklyn

Tymeless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 01:12:04 PM »
As the dean stated in his morning address open house is basically to invite people in and show the school (at its best) I geuss that is why the overwhelming niceness just seemed a bit much for me. 

I actually attended the mock class on the death penatly and I too enjoyed the style and manner in which he taught.  He kept me going with his small jokes and was not at all as scary as I thought he would be.  After the class I attended the Teachers are from Mars students are from Venus seminar and I did not learn anything new from it.  It was just a basic "this school is great" seminar.  One of the professors where actually boring me to death and the other seemed interesting.  The students were not able to answer some questions and I as an evening student was left rather unsatisfied in that department. (I will email in order to get some more information).  After this I attended the Financing Law School, now this was something I very much needed.  Only 18500 a year in loans while tuition is 29000.  Scary!! It is quite expensive, however I did not receive my financial aid package yet so I will keep my fingers crossed.  After I took the tour of the school.  I must say the tour guide was boring.  However, I actually like the intimate feel I got from the school.  Coming from a big school this was good for me. 
Like the rest, I too feel that they should invest some more into the building.  It is a bit old.  Lunch was good.

The location of the school is nice, Tribeca, Court houses.  I actually lived on Lafayette last year and I enjoyed it. 

My only fear is that I have not had anything to compare this school to?  Anyone visit Hofstra or any other schools who can compare them to NYLS?
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
I am taking all the shots I can.
In:NYLS, Touro
Out: St. Johns, Brooklyn, Hofstra (Damn, Damn, Damn!!!)

abc2103

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:17:55 PM »
I visited Hofstra....I liked it but I live in NYC and will not move (plus fiances job won't allow us to). The commute seems a little daunting...look up a person on this site called Joanna (she has a page on Hofstra on the Deciding Where to Go Page entitled, I finally made the decision) she has some really good insights. The thing that scares me about both are 1st job opportunities post-grad. Hofstra, although it is really growing, still is a big feeder for Long Island Jobs so how well do they really place in NYC? NYLS kind of has the same problem. It is going to be a hard decision.
Attending: Brooklyn