Law School Discussion

Transfering to McGill for undergrad??? Please help!

Transfering to McGill for undergrad??? Please help!
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:31:53 PM »
I am currently studying at a community college in California, and will be applying to UC Davis, Berkeley, and LA.

I was also interested in finishing my undergrad at McGill, then applying to a US law school.

My question is, would two years in Montreal be enough to pick up a decent amount of French...or is the city was too Anglo.  And, what do US law schools think of McGill, especially University of Miami if anyone knows.

Thanks in advance.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering to McGill for undergrad??? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 09:42:12 PM »
there are language laws in Quebec and the Quebecois are pretty protective of their language.  Two years should give you plenty of time to pick up French, especially if you have some knowledge of the language already.

US law schools all know that McGill is one of Canada's top universities.  I'd guess all law schools would look highly upon a degree from McGill.

I (heart) Pudge

• Bring on the third tier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 04:26:28 PM »
I'm just finishing up at McGill. My roommate has lived in Montreal for 4 years and doesn't speak a word of French. If you want to pick up a lot of French don't live too close to the school. Make sure you pick a French neighbourhood. How much French you learn is up to you, and if you go to French bars, live in French areas and try to hook up with Quebec or international students you can be really successful. Just be carfeul not to fall into the McGill trap of surrounding yourself with anglophones 9I am guilty of that myself).
If you are really serious about picking up French, I'd advise you to take the intensive French classes at Mcgill, as opposed to the regular ones.
I know many people who have been accepted at America's top law, med and grad schools on the strength of their McGill degrees. You won't have a problem at all.
Montreal is an amazing city to live in, I'm sure you would love it here.

SH

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 10:38:31 PM »

It is a wonderful school, but don't plan on learning any french there... 25% of people OR MORE are from the states...(im just assuming from the building i was at) they "couldn't afford harvard or brown so I just came here" OOOOOOOkay... ??? freaks...
i have a tshirt at home that says "HARVARD...then it says the McGill of USA" as a joke...but its true ::)

there is a french neighbourhood downtown...but they are extra french..s.o be careful...be very very careful