Law School Discussion

Penn State Dickinson Admitted Students day

Re: Penn State Dickinson Admitted Students day
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2005, 11:17:37 AM »
That's pretty much what I've gathered, thanks again for the post.  Being from Michigan I am quite used to driving myself around, actually I've only used public transportation on vacations since there is virtually none here.  I live 45 min North of Detroit, pretty much in the area where the suburbs and cities start to have a few miles between them as opposed to being one continual thing.  I am looking forward to less traffic and the overall atmosphere of the area.  I am also excited about being within a short drive of NYC, Philly, DC, and Baltimore.  I have never been in any of these cities for more than a few hours with the exception of DC.  Detroit is OK, good hockey team, great rock scene, but somewhat sh!tty in other respects.  I am really looking forward to summer trips into these cities with my wife.  Does Harrisburg have a rush hour traffic wise? I hope not.  Also, is there an area to avoid (high crime rate, dumpy, or otherwise), if so where is it geographically, I am starting to look at places to live.  Not sure if I'll stay in Carlisle or just outside it or even in Harrisburg, my fiance might be able to get transferred out there, but if not she'll need to find work and it seems most likely that this would be in or around Harrisburg.  She works for Charter One Bank, which has merged with the Citizens Bank in your area and this summer they will be fully integrated and hopefully that will help her get a transfer.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2005, 11:32:30 AM »
That's pretty much what I've gathered, thanks again for the post.  Being from Michigan I am quite used to driving myself around, actually I've only used public transportation on vacations since there is virtually none here.  I live 45 min North of Detroit, pretty much in the area where the suburbs and cities start to have a few miles between them as opposed to being one continual thing.  I am looking forward to less traffic and the overall atmosphere of the area.  I am also excited about being within a short drive of NYC, Philly, DC, and Baltimore.  I have never been in any of these cities for more than a few hours with the exception of DC.  Detroit is OK, good hockey team, great rock scene, but somewhat sh!tty in other respects.  I am really looking forward to summer trips into these cities with my wife.  Does Harrisburg have a rush hour traffic wise? I hope not.  Also, is there an area to avoid (high crime rate, dumpy, or otherwise), if so where is it geographically, I am starting to look at places to live.  Not sure if I'll stay in Carlisle or just outside it or even in Harrisburg, my fiance might be able to get transferred out there, but if not she'll need to find work and it seems most likely that this would be in or around Harrisburg.  She works for Charter One Bank, which has merged with the Citizens Bank in your area and this summer they will be fully integrated and hopefully that will help her get a transfer.

From your name I assume you are a big White Stripes fan.  Looking forward to the new album?  Pretty interesting title..

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2005, 12:57:31 PM »
Who are THE WHITE STRIPES?

No, just joking, I am looking forward to it "Get Behind me Satan" - pretty crazy stuff.
I have actually run into both Jack and Meg while checking out other shows in Detroit.  They are good freinds with a group called Blanche that is amazing - really good song writing.

http://www.blanchemusic.com/homepage.shtml

I was also lucky enough to see them at the Masonic Temple in Detroit last year, and at another show on New Year's eve Jack came out and rocked at little after a show at the Magic Stick (small Detroit club).  Anyway, check out Blanche, I have seen them four times and they are great - can't wait to catch the Stripes again.

Alamss

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 01:17:39 PM »
Mike got a question for you-

When you went to Dickinson for a tour, how were you dressed? Should I dress semi-formally or can I just go with a t-shirt and khaki pants? Do you think it will be better to dress up to make an impression or they won't care. I would rather just go in a t-shirt and khakis.

Thanks alot.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 01:37:50 PM »
As I mentioned, I was on the way back from an interview in North Carolina (at Campbell).  I stayed a few days in Charlotte with my future brother-in-law.  The stop at PSU was unplanned and therefore I had no clean jeans, t-shirts, or otherwise.  On the day of my interview I had only worn my suit for a few hours, so when I went to PSU I wore the suit.  I was overdressed, but I tend to so insituations like this.  If I had a pair of Dockers and nice shirt I would've worn that but I packed light and only had real casual clothes and the suit.  I would've also went w/o the coat, but my shirt was all wrinkled, so I covered it up.  I would wear a decent pair of pants and maybe a button up shirt.  If you were already accepted it would be a different story, but since you might get to talk with the people reviewing your app, being slightly dressed up could only help.

Alamss

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 01:43:12 PM »
Yeah thats a good point--I will wear a button up shirt, dress pants, and a tie.

Thanks.