Law School Discussion

Penn State Dickinson Admitted Students day

Penn State Dickinson Admitted Students day
« on: April 11, 2005, 08:08:33 PM »
sorry guys! i know i promised this, but i couldn't get LSD to load all day for some reason and i got back late last night.

Anyway, I don't have much to report that's different from other posters comments before.  I actualy don't mind the small town. I think the campus of Dickinson College is really pretty.  They are changing the grading system so that there will be letters form now on and a B curve which the students said would help.  YOu need to be in the top7.5% of the class to be on law review. I loved all the professors I met. There is an open door policy of you can come by anytime between 9-5 which i thought was great. I am actually a little worried about those carol things in the library where you have to line up to reserve one at the crack of dawn. It's a neat idea and i love how you can trust people and leave yoru stuff there, but seems like a pain.  We had a mock class which was interesitng.  The dean didn't give a speech or anyting tho which i found kinda odd.  hmm.. if there's any particular questions please ask cause i don't really know what to say. Overall I was happy with the school. I do have one bad thing to say.  I hope I don't insult anyone if you were there I don't mean to I probably didn't meet you.. however while the current students were really friendly and awesome and willing to tell it like ti is...I must have met more rude prospective students than in all my other law school visits combined. I mean I woudl try to be friendly and say hi and these people would not start a convo. It made me worried about forming study groups because no one was friendly.  I didn't think that psu dickinson had that rep. I probably will be attending there despite that cause i was really impressed with their facilities and stuff.  I know some people's parents were really worried about all the construction that is going to be going on while we're in class. I don't think that's that big of a deal tho.  Ok. so ask me if you have a specific question.

Re: Penn State Dickinson Admitted Students day
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 08:27:14 PM »
Yeah, LSD was on LSD today. My main question is how will the renovation affect us. Do you know when they are breaking ground and how long it will take? Mostly, since I am one of the few opinions I've heard expressed about the facilty and such, I just wanted another perspective. That is a little depressing about unfriendly admitted students, hopefully they won't attend. I have talked on LSD with some people who seem cool, and a couple on the WL who are nice, who knows. The carrol idea is good, but it would suck not to get one. Still, most schools don't have anything like that. Well, anyway - thanks for your impressions.

Alamss

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 09:48:18 PM »
Hey biolawgirl thanks alot for that info! It is good to know that the facilities and faculty are nice, but yeah that is weird that you had such an experience with the prospective students, I wonder why they were like that. Like Hotel Yorba said, they might students who just don't care to attend the school but just kind of showed anyway just to check it out. Atleast I hope that is the case. Well atleast we know there will be at least four nice people including, Kilroy, and then we can work from there. I don't know who else on this board is attending other than the 4 I know. I am going to check the facility out on Tuesday the 19th.

Freznic

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 12:54:22 AM »
I wasn't able to make it on 4/9. However, I have a couple of thoughts... I have found people to be a bit nervous at these things. Is it possible that mostly waitlisted people attended? If I were in that situation, I would not be the most open person. I would also imagine that talking to current, rather than prospective students would give you a better flavor. I went to something at Pitt and I felt that the other prospectives were a bit cold, too.

On the carol issue, it is my understanding that it does not work quite the way it has been described on the board. First, people DO informally reserve them, but the library occasionally has a "clean-out" day. So, on that day, you are responsible for picking your stuff up OR sitting in the carol while they "clean-out" unoccupied carols. So, there are no formal reservations and, in fact, somebody might briefly use your carol when you are not present. It is my understanding that all students are respectful of the contents of each carol. Secondly, students who want to make the informal reservation do show up early in the morning, but last year, there were carols remaining after the initial picking. In other words, you'll most likely have one if you want one. This information was provided to me during my tour. I'm pretty certain I understood everything, but I may not have. Additionally, this was during the 2003/2004 school year... perhaps things have changed.

Regardless, I am very excited about attending. If I could have been there, I would have chatted with you, biolawgirl. I am sorry I missed it!

sorry guys! i know i promised this, but i couldn't get LSD to load all day for some reason and i got back late last night.

Anyway, I don't have much to report that's different from other posters comments before.  I actualy don't mind the small town. I think the campus of Dickinson College is really pretty.  They are changing the grading system so that there will be letters form now on and a B curve which the students said would help.  YOu need to be in the top7.5% of the class to be on law review. I loved all the professors I met. There is an open door policy of you can come by anytime between 9-5 which i thought was great. I am actually a little worried about those carol things in the library where you have to line up to reserve one at the crack of dawn. It's a neat idea and i love how you can trust people and leave yoru stuff there, but seems like a pain.  We had a mock class which was interesitng.  The dean didn't give a speech or anyting tho which i found kinda odd.  hmm.. if there's any particular questions please ask cause i don't really know what to say. Overall I was happy with the school. I do have one bad thing to say.  I hope I don't insult anyone if you were there I don't mean to I probably didn't meet you.. however while the current students were really friendly and awesome and willing to tell it like ti is...I must have met more rude prospective students than in all my other law school visits combined. I mean I woudl try to be friendly and say hi and these people would not start a convo. It made me worried about forming study groups because no one was friendly.  I didn't think that psu dickinson had that rep. I probably will be attending there despite that cause i was really impressed with their facilities and stuff.  I know some people's parents were really worried about all the construction that is going to be going on while we're in class. I don't think that's that big of a deal tho.  Ok. so ask me if you have a specific question.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 05:03:12 AM »
OH ok.  (about the carol thing).  See I had two tour guides and they both kinda bickered about how the caroll thing works so who knows. I guess we'll see, but i mean it's not really a big deal. Just kinda found it funny they think i'ts all special and i find it kinda stressful :) But hey that's me i guess!!

Yes. the current students were awesome. So that's kinda what i'm going by. i guess I was suprrised because when i went to visit Penn (i was eventually rejected) when I was applying the prospective students were so nice and penn state dickinson has a reputatoin for being nice so i assumed theyh'd be even nicer. who knows tho. 

as far as the construction goes I wish ii could be more helpful. apparently they will break ground sometime next year.  I mean it's cool if we get to take use of hte new building eventually.. i just wonder when it will be done. they seemed scared to say.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 06:03:32 AM »
If they do what the picture in the newsletter shows I think the classrooms and such will remain the same (maybe with some renovation, but same place). It seems as though they are just adding that addition between the buildings. I think it will expand the library (maybe more carols?) and add an auditorium, new mock court room, etc. It seems as though this proposal wouldn't really affect us to much since it could be done without closing off much of anything.

Who knows - just a thought.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 11:47:43 AM »
Hello future classmates...

I went to the admitted students day also, but I don't think I was in the same group as biolawgirl, since I only had the one tour guide.  She said that the study carrol process in the library has changed every year that she has been there.  However she also said that anyone who wants one can get one...for the most part. 

I thought the best part of the day was the mini presentation on their advocacy classes.  It made me really excited to get going and start classes...although we don't have advocacy until the third year. 

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with some of the other prospectives...the people in my group were pretty nice...but I think everyone was a little nervous.  Overall, I thought it was good day, if only to get my mind in gear for where i will be in a couple of months...scary.

I live just 15 minutes north of Carlisle, and I work in Harrisburg...so if anyone is coming to visit and wants to know more about the vast metropolis that is Harrisburg...let me know. 

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 12:49:26 PM »
Yeah, I have been through Harrisburg but not to it.  I am from Michigan so I probably won't get out there for a bit, maybe some appartment shopping in May.  If you don't mind, give us a breif write-up about Harrisburg in general.
-COL
-stuff to do
-suburbs?
-industry
-anything else you can think of

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:27:07 PM »
why everyone so upset about christmas carols?

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 09:29:39 AM »
Yeah, I have been through Harrisburg but not to it.  I am from Michigan so I probably won't get out there for a bit, maybe some appartment shopping in May.  If you don't mind, give us a breif write-up about Harrisburg in general.
-COL
-stuff to do
-suburbs?
-industry
-anything else you can think of

Anyone who is from a city would not consider Harrisburg to be much of a city at all...so for those of you who haven't seen it, don't go getting your hopes up.  This is rural PA and it's a rural PA city.  It's a like a mini me version of a city.  However it does have some nice advantages.

-COL is low...I live in a large townhouse in a really nice neighborhood with one roommate ten minutes from downtown, 15 minutes from Dickinson and pay only $600/month with utilities.

-There are plenty of bars, especially along 2nd st downtown.  They are actually a fairly good place for law students to hang out...because of the number of politicians who are around the area.  There are also a couple of night clubs around the area...with a mixed crowd of folks...a little bit country, a little bit rock n'roll.  There's a minor league baseball team in Harrisburg, Hershey has a Hockey team and an amusement park (for all the chocolate fans).  The crowd in Harrisburg is somewhat strange...I feel it's a bit old, because of all the government work...a lot of 50 year old men away from their families, it can make for some peculiar situations.     

-the suburbs are typical...harrisburg is divided by the susquehanna river...and it's amusing, because people like to stay on one side of the river.  you are either an east shore person or a west shore person depending on where you live.  They have duplicate stores, malls, grocery stores, etc for each side of the river.  Carlisle has very little shopping, but Harrisburg has most stores that you could want.  Everything is very small here and it's very easy to find your way around.  I would NOT recommend public transportation.  If you aren't bringing a car to school...then quickly make friends with someone who is...

-industry = state government.  there are plenty of opportunities to work in this area, which makes the carlisle location of dickinson so ideal compared to state college where PSU is. 

-everything is very safe here, i've never had any problems or heard of many people having problems. 

So, that's my review...if you have more questions let me know.  I don't imagine we will have too much time to around during law school, but it's always nice to know you could do something if you found the time.