Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone moving across country? Good movers? Car shipping?  (Read 1740 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone moving across country? Good movers? Car shipping?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2005, 11:36:49 AM »
If you're talking about the trailers I think you are, you can't pull them with a car.  There's the little ones, and that will work with most cars.  But if you're thinking a 10-15 foot trailer, nothing less than a truck will do.  My dad moved a ton of my stuff in a 10 foot trailer (the size of a small UHaul) with his truck from Buffalo to Boston a couple summers ago.

Look at the car rental sites, and see if they rent out trucks.  I'm not sure they do, but they might.

lyrarain

• This is a nutria!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 01:12:05 PM »
bump
3.52 164|cancel|173
Attending: UVA

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 01:19:53 PM »
before any of you sign with a moving company, please check with your area's Better Business Bureau.  They will have a list of complaints if there are any.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 01:38:54 PM »
www.movingscam.com

Don't bother checking with the chamber of commerce.  Many of these places pay for membership.  I think I've also heard something similar about the better business bureau.  The above site will give you ways to really tell what you're getting yourself into.  There's instructions on how to check their insurance, what type of goods they're registered to carry (if any!!) and ample discussion boards about people's experience with local and national movers.  This site was a godsend, and helped me a lot.

Oneof2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 02:22:49 PM »
If you're talking about the trailers I think you are, you can't pull them with a car.  There's the little ones, and that will work with most cars.  But if you're thinking a 10-15 foot trailer, nothing less than a truck will do.  My dad moved a ton of my stuff in a 10 foot trailer (the size of a small UHaul) with his truck from Buffalo to Boston a couple summers ago.

Look at the car rental sites, and see if they rent out trucks.  I'm not sure they do, but they might.

FWIW, Ive called a few car rental places and they wont allow you to rent a truck to pull a trailer. 

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 02:43:42 PM »
Well, shoot.  I had everything all set up with Amerigo movers to pick up my stuff in Boston, store it for a month, then take it down to VA.  And then I checked your website and there are all these warnings about them.  Back to square one.  Is it stupid to use a company that has warnings about it???  Okay, okay, I know the answer to that.  It's just that I spent so much time figuring this out and I thought I had it all set.  Ugh.
UVa it is!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 02:48:22 PM »
Depends on what kind of warnings there are, and how many.

Use the link that talks about finding a good mover.  Go through and check out their insurance and all that stuff.  Very easy to do, and takes about 5-10 minutes.

Also, what kind of complaints are there?  Do they tend to run a little late picking up/delivering?  Or days late?  Do they have a tendancy to charge you more after they've loaded?  Have people said their stuff has been held hostage until they pay added/hidden fees? 

Boston24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 03:08:03 PM »

Also, what kind of complaints are there?  Do they tend to run a little late picking up/delivering?  Or days late?  Do they have a tendancy to charge you more after they've loaded?  Have people said their stuff has been held hostage until they pay added/hidden fees? 

All of the above.  I know I can't use them.  I was just so da.mn excited that I had this all set.  Okay - anyone know of any good movers for Boston to VA?
UVa it is!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 04:02:44 PM »
Eeek...stay away from them then!!

I'd offer suggestions, but i got so fed up with trying to find someone in Boston b/c some really good companies cost more b/c of the small streets and tough driving conditions.  I would have loved to use Broadway Movers (lots of good reviews on movingscam.com), but added more on the price for the urban area.  I've ultimately just decided to use Penske.  They don't charge per mile, which is a huge perk, and their 1 way rental fee isn't too bad.  Granted, I'll be paying a bit more once you factor in gas/tolls (base rental was about the same as ABF and some other "decently" recommended you pack we move places), but I'll know where all my stuff is the entire time.  :)

I got frustrated with the Boston market specifically

ohwellok

• Sr. Citizen
  • the cutest beagle in the whole wide world!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 05:33:11 PM »
tag