Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone moving across country? Good movers? Car shipping?  (Read 1798 times)

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anyone moving across country? Good movers? Car shipping?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 12:40:41 PM »
Does anyone on this board know if it is possible to rent a vehicle from any of the major companies with a tow hitch? If so that could save a LOT of money as renting a large U-haul (boo-hiss) from Boston to New Orleans is between 2-3 K while renting an equivlent trailer is roughly $675
159/168
accepted:Tulane$$(top choice), Emory,syracuse$$, BU
Rejected: UVA, Cornell, BC
Waitlisted:W&M, UF (WTF!!)
Pending: a whole bunch of slow-ass schools!

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 02:01:34 PM »
Another option is with the company Door to Door Storage and Moving (http://www.doortodoor.com/). They drop off storage crates at your house, you load them up and lock the crates, and they pick up the crates and bring them to your new place. I have a friend who used this to move from Chicago to DC and loved it. They just got in their car and headed across country (fun road trip!) and didn't worry about blowing off the road, break-downs, or other nightmares of renting a truck.

A couple of things to keep in mind: You have to have a place to put the crates on both ends. Usually, they can just go where people park on the street. Also, it might take a week or two for them to get your stuff to your new place. I'm considering it, though, for my big move this summer. It would sure be awesome to just load up the stuff and drive away!
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

snikrep

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 02:33:34 PM »
Make sure if you rent that the trucks don't have a speed limiter (UHaul used to, not too sure if they still do). I liked to move 75-80 on the freeway, being stuck at 55 is huge pain.  Also make sure you get a *new* truck - be a nag, they will find a good one for you and you won't break down.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease....

I've had flat tires on both trips I made - both on the car trailer.  Be careful with those.

Penske is great, so is Budget.  They will pricematch, so haggle and you'll get a good deal.

Especially with gas prices right now, perhaps a moving company isn't a bad deal.

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 03:42:28 PM »
Yeah I drove across country once and swore never to do it again.  I think I'm going to ship my car to NJ (where my dad is) and then sell everything and buy new stuff in DC at IKEA.  My current stuff is pretty big right now so I may not even be able to use it wherever i end up living.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

mememe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 04:48:39 PM »
Don't bother bringing your stuff to DC unless you are absolutely in love with it and can't bare to part with it.  DC is such a commuter city that people are constantly up and leaving the city all the time.  You can find fantastic deals on quality furniture on craigslist all the time.  When I moved to DC 2 years ago I brought nothing more than two duffle bags full of clothes.  I have since acquired an entire room full of furniture (desk, bed, dresser, etc.) that are very decent for very cheap.  If I were you, I would drive your car across country yourself because it is an amazing experience to see the US unfold from Cali desert to East Coast mountains and forests.  But, you also really don't need a car.  I don't have a car and I do just fine. 
Almost everyone I know in DC found their apartments online through craigslist.org.  I hope you like DC, I've had a great time here and if it weren't for my super desire to return to Cali I think I would stay.   
USF 2005

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 04:59:59 PM »
Agree - sell it all and reaquire in DC.  there are several IKEAS near the city, not to mention what the previous poster said about this transient city.  craigslist, hillzoo.com and others are good for cheap finds.

Drive the car yourself.  Any affordable car shipping is usually just you paying someone else to drive it.  flatbedding will be pricey.  grab a best friend and take 14 days and make a trip out of it - your last big hurrah before law school.  what a cool drive.

moving trucks and self-moving just a bad idea -especially with gas projected at over $3 a gallon this summer (those ancient Uhauls aren't exactly efficient either).

Montanahopeful

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 06:28:35 PM »
Another option we looked into (but can't use because they don't serve our town) is UPack Moving. They drop a tractor trailer off in front of your house, you load it up and secure your stuff with a "bulkhead" wall, they pick it up. Then, they load on whatever freight they're regularly hauling and drop the empty trailer (with only your stuff left in it) at your destination....it's much cheaper than a full service mover and all you have to do is pack the truck. They drive!! Good luck! 
Hell, yeah: U. Montana, West Virginia, Gonzaga $, Willamette, Vermont Law School
Hell, no: U.Oregon
Hell, waitlisted:Seattle

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 08:16:30 PM »
take 14 days and make a trip out of it - your last big hurrah before law school. 

Um... 14 days? I would think 4, tops. Are you planning on getting lost for a week and a half? I once drove from Minneapolis to Austin in one day.

1LBored

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 08:29:27 PM »
take 14 days and make a trip out of it - your last big hurrah before law school.

Um... 14 days? I would think 4, tops. Are you planning on getting lost for a week and a half? I once drove from Minneapolis to Austin in one day.
I think he's suggesting turning it into a vacation. Go out of the way, see the sights, take some pictures, etc.

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2005, 11:08:29 AM »
Does anyone on this board know if it is possible to rent a vehicle from any of the major companies with a tow hitch? If so that could save a LOT of money as renting a large U-haul (boo-hiss) from Boston to New Orleans is between 2-3 K while renting an equivlent trailer is roughly $675

uhaul, budget, and penske all have the car dolly or car carrier.  or are you asking about towing a trailer with a rented vehicle?  if the latter, sorry, i don't know.