Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone moving across country? Good movers? Car shipping?  (Read 1850 times)

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
Anyone moving across country? Good movers? Car shipping?
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:39:53 PM »
Alright I finally bit the bullet and sent in my deposit to American today.  So now I gotta figure out how to move all my stuff and car out to DC.  I'm definitely sending my car, but to be honest my furniture isn't that great.  All IKEA, I have a nice mattress and a nice (non IKEA) futon couch.  Anyone no any cheap and honest movers for my stuff or my car?  I'm seriously thinking about selling all my stuff (excluding electronics obviously) and just shipping my car full of stuff and UPSing the excess.  Anyone done this before, any good ideas or suggestions?  Thanks!
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings

snikrep

Re: Anyone moving across country? Good movers? Car shipping?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 02:47:30 AM »
Not a bad idea, a 2-bedroom move for us from Phoenix to Illinois (2000 miles give or take 500) was going to cost around $2-3k for movers to do it. $1k gets you a ton of furniture from Ikea, so I'd say just sell and get new stuff.  For a car mover talk to local car places, I know somebody who went with a service where somebody drives your car to your destination and it's *very* cheap (like $400 from Oregon to Texas - just gas and hotel would cost about that).  It's all insured so if the guy freaks out and scoots off to Mexico you will be reimbursed (I think, hehe).

Good luck - moving is a pain.  I've done two half-country moves myself (i.e. driving the 15 foot Budget truck with our car towed behind).  Kansas was the worst to drive through, all that wind whipping over the plains - I felt like a freaking kite.  I remember driving along and looking down at my hands (both white, gripping the steering wheel for dear life), the steering wheel was like 20 degrees off center and we were going straight!! The worst was when you pass a truck and the wind stops and you swerve back the other way, and then have to reswerve *back* after you pass it.  It's not worth the money you save!!!

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 03:03:09 AM »
I'll probably be driving the UHaul with a car in tow from the midwest to the east coast.  It will probably run me about $1K.  I looked into using one of the services where you load and unload your stuff from their truck and they do the driving.  It was actually reasonably priced, but then I heard some bad stuff about that kind of service.  Apparently, they sometimes add a ton of hidden charges when they show up with your stuff, and if you don't pay up, they'll leave with all your things.  I don't know how often it happens, but that is not something I want to deal with right before I start law school.  I'm not looking forward to the drive, but I guess I'll just tough it out.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 07:38:19 AM »
UHaul will run you much more than 1k, I think.  They may quote you close to 1K just for the rental, as you'll be leaving it in a different state.  On top of that they charge you something like 89 cents per mile.  I looked into it for going from Boston to Atlanta, and it was a really sucky option.

I'll be using movex for my move down.  (www.movex.com

You rent out space in the truck (you need a fairly good estimate of what you're moving).  They show up with the truck and provide dollies and ramps for you.  You load it up, they drive it away, and then show up at your chosen destination for you to unload.  There's no hidden fees, and they only charge more if you use more space then you reserved.  They also offer a car shipping service, and you can ship your car in the same compartment as your stuff.

It was the best option I found.  They've been established quite a while, and their reps are very helpful (and unlike other moving companies, they won't call you every other week to see how your planning's going, and to tell you that if you reserve now you'll get a better deal.  Cause $2k is a great price to move my stuff... ::) )

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 08:43:49 AM »
Get your friends and family to help you. That's what we're doing (from Austin to Kansas City). Rending the truck from Budget or Penske is about $500 right now for our move, but prices fluctuate often. Maybe you can get somebody to drive your car and help you move in on the other end. I always pay in beer and tacos and have never had trouble finding helpers  :)

I ask that you NOT use Uhaul, as it is the only company that I am boycotting, after a HORRIBLE exerience I had with them. I'll spare you the details, but basically I was screwed out of a few hundred dollars, majorly inconvenienced, and called a liar by this jerk-off at the counter. Budget and Penske are solid companies.

Highway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 09:37:50 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Highway.  Awesome site.  Now thinking I'd rather go with ABF over Movex.

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 10:00:12 AM »
I'm moving from Connecticut to Northern California, with a stop in St. Louis to pick up some of my fiancee's stuff.  We're not selling much, because I invested in some decent furniture while I've lived in CT and I'd like to bring it along.  A buddy of mine, who has never been west of Cincinnati, is joining me for the trip (thank goodness), but it's still looking like a rough-and-tumble odyssey.  I'm looking forward to seeing the country, not looking forward to the Kansas windstorms.

I've decided to rent from Penske.  I've just heard SO MANY bad things about UHaul.  Check out www.epinions.com.  They've got some pretty telling customer reviews for both companies (and some hilarious moving stories that'll leave you shaking your head in disbelief).
Stanford '08.  Fo' shizzle.

1LBored

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:52:54 AM »
Mentioned this in another thread of yours, but when I did the CA->DC move I just drove my own car with anything I could fit. Did it by myself in 3.5 days, bring a friend and take 4-5 days and its not such a bad trip, and it'll save you a ton of money.

Roommate had her car shipped. Cost a ton of money and it was over a week late (they had specifically paid extra for rush service).

Contracts professor had movers do his stuff, when they showed up at his house they claimed the original weight estimate was off by some ridicjulous amount and he owed more money which had to be paid in cash (they charged by weight apparently) before they'd give them their furniture, he made the driver take him to a weight station where they found out the movers were completely lying about the weight of his furniture.

While many movers arent outright scams, they're fairly shady. Unfortunately you wont take contracts until AFTER you've moved your stuff. Read your contract, read up on sites reviewing movers.

Probably not worth it to move your furniture either way. As someone above said, the price of the mover could buy you quite a bit of IKEA furniture. Other option is to attach a hitch to your car and get a small trailer with your nicer/smaller things.

VivaLaMuerte

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 12:14:41 PM »
I prefer Penske to the other companies, though a well-crafter complaint letter goes a long way at Uhaul(I received a refund of $400, plus hotel and food expenses on a $1200 rental last year).