Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: timers  (Read 1096 times)

Bruner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
timers
« on: May 27, 2004, 09:50:36 AM »
Where in the hell can I find a noiseless timer for the test?  Anybody know.
Weightlifting Commentator:  "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria.  I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing." <---NBC

Tennis Commentator:  "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them."<--NBC

M2

Re: timers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 10:27:35 AM »
www.powerscore.com
Go with the $20 one.

Or you can go to radioshack and buy a regular one but cut the speaker cable.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 11:00:14 AM »
I paid $15 a Radioshack for a little timer that will count up *or* down.  It originally beeped, but it's really easy to unscrew the back and take the speaker out.  The guys at Radioshack will even take it out for you.  It's a common request, apparently, because when I asked about whether the timer beeped, the guy looked at me and said "LSAT?"  He then said that they take the speakers out of the timers so often that they call the procedure a "beepectomy"

So it's cheaper than Powerscore, and you don't have to wait for it to come in the mail. :)

panashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - brianpjohnson
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - bpanahij
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 11:42:14 AM »
Timex Ironman WR100M $45.

Has a chrono and a countdown timer.
The chrono has a lap feature that is great for the logic games section. (i.e. new lap for each problem set, keeps time for problem set and overall time for section). I still use this watch as my regular watch. Its great for jogging, and timing daily events like "meet me in thirty minutes".

The only beep (when you reset the chrono) is very silent and nobody even noticed it at my test.
Ave Maria Class of 2007
St. Thomas More Scholar

jgruber

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 11:47:30 AM »
It's called a wristwatch.  It's what I used, but then I got a 155 on my LSAT.  Hmmmmmm.

dta

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 08:28:40 PM »
"The Silent Timer" sucks. Don't buy it. It's TERRIBLE. Mainly, it's the buttons. The buttons are rubbery and squishy. Several times, during proctored tests at Princeton Review, I kept pressing the buttons to reset the timer for the next section and the rubbery button would just squish left or right and never make 'contact' w/ the circuits below to actually reset the timer. I had to keep saying to the proctor "No No No - Do not start yet!".

Buy any other timer with nice buttons that actually work. Then just open it up and cut the 'noise' wire. I went to radio shack and bought mine. It wasn't silent but the salesguy cut the 'noise' wire for me.

M2

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 08:32:55 PM »
"The Silent Timer" sucks. Don't buy it. It's TERRIBLE. Mainly, it's the buttons. The buttons are rubbery and squishy. Several times, during proctored tests at Princeton Review, I kept pressing the buttons to reset the timer for the next section and the rubbery button would just squish left or right and never make 'contact' w/ the circuits below to actually reset the timer. I had to keep saying to the proctor "No No No - Do not start yet!".

Buy any other timer with nice buttons that actually work. Then just open it up and cut the 'noise' wire. I went to radio shack and bought mine. It wasn't silent but the salesguy cut the 'noise' wire for me.

my buttons are fine...
I just set my timer for 34:30, so that way when it hits zero, it will automatically reset itself (back to 34:30) before the next test starts. Then all i have to do is press start.

dta

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 08:37:09 PM »
Maybe I just got a bum timer. But the start button is terrible on mine. I have to press it multiple times and VERY HARD to make it work.

I'm keeping it as my "back up" timer though (in case the my good one dies on me).