Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who went to the Emory Admit Event this Weekend?  (Read 1505 times)

OnDayAtaTime

Who went to the Emory Admit Event this Weekend?
« on: April 10, 2005, 07:47:25 PM »
I didn't get a chance to go...any details would be really appreciated.

OnDayAtaTime

Re: Who went to the Emory Admit Event this Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 10:18:25 PM »
 ??? ???anyone?

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 10:33:10 PM »
I was there, it was super.

FutureLawyerMiami

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Makaveli46
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 10:36:45 PM »
It was awesome, best of all I attended. I liked it so much I put an offer down on a condo right after the admit event ended. I'll be attending unless I get in off one of my wait-lists.

OnDayAtaTime

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 10:42:07 PM »
So did they address the drop in the rankings...was it really an error?

Did they say what the curve was?

Thanks!

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 10:54:05 PM »
You put an offer down? Damn.

To elaborate on "super".

Event went very well, reception friday night was good, had the opportunity to speak with an '04 grad who is employed in ATL and loves his job. He said his best friends from school are all in DC and NY working and had no problems getting jobs. This was an issue for me, since I want to prob return to DC when I finish.

School and Library buildings were very nice...students seemed generally friendly, happy, etc. I spoke with roughly 10 students who were not affiliated with the open house - ie they were just around studying - and they all had nothing but good things to say. All had chosen Emory over other schools ranked in the mid-20s, and all seemed happy about their choice. Someone has posted elsewhere on this board that the school is full of students who are bitter about not getting into a T-14, but this is not the impression I got at all.

The big draw for me was the professors. Ahdieh or however you spell his name put on a mock class and he came across really well. He also had some interesting and very honest/frank things to say about the USNEWS 06 situation. There were a bunch of others hanging around, and all seemed very engaging, etc. All the students kept remarking about how good the teaching quality was.

Also very much liked the neighborhood, surrounding areas, city, campus, etc. Atlanta is awesome (if you can deal with interstate traffic), and I really liked the neighborhood around Emory (and the campus itself). Speaking with profs and students I realized how much of an asset the city actually is: it seems the school has tons of corporate, federal, and public interest"field placements" and "externships" for credit that sound really interesting.

Sorry for the rambling post, but the weekend went well and I've been too lazy to write since getting back. feel free to PM me for details or questions etc. Like FutureLawyerMiami I am also leaning towards attending right now, except for a few waitlists im considering.

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 11:00:46 PM »
According to the professors:

It really was an error with the "employed at graduation" rate, which was reported at 60% but is closer to 80%.

USNEWS is aware and has supposedly corrected the reported number on their website. The School and USNEWS are apparently "involved in intense negotiations" regarding a reranking or some sort of correction.

Prof. Ahdieh (again, sp?) essentially said: Emory is not a school that deserves to be ranked in the 30s, ask any law prof at any school. Its also not a school that deserves to be ranked in the T 14 or so. Its a solid low to mid 20s school, and has been historically.

Overall he seemed very credible, honest etc about the situation. I was concerned about the rankings prior to the admitted students day, but as the event went on, I felt myself caring less and less about what a few editors at a magazine had to say. 23, 32, whatever. I liked the school, felt comfortable, and could be happy if I end up attending.

birdysails

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 10:15:42 AM »
You put an offer down? Damn.

To elaborate on "super".

Event went very well, reception friday night was good, had the opportunity to speak with an '04 grad who is employed in ATL and loves his job. He said his best friends from school are all in DC and NY working and had no problems getting jobs. This was an issue for me, since I want to prob return to DC when I finish.

School and Library buildings were very nice...students seemed generally friendly, happy, etc. I spoke with roughly 10 students who were not affiliated with the open house - ie they were just around studying - and they all had nothing but good things to say. All had chosen Emory over other schools ranked in the mid-20s, and all seemed happy about their choice. Someone has posted elsewhere on this board that the school is full of students who are bitter about not getting into a T-14, but this is not the impression I got at all.

The big draw for me was the professors. Ahdieh or however you spell his name put on a mock class and he came across really well. He also had some interesting and very honest/frank things to say about the USNEWS 06 situation. There were a bunch of others hanging around, and all seemed very engaging, etc. All the students kept remarking about how good the teaching quality was.

Also very much liked the neighborhood, surrounding areas, city, campus, etc. Atlanta is awesome (if you can deal with interstate traffic), and I really liked the neighborhood around Emory (and the campus itself). Speaking with profs and students I realized how much of an asset the city actually is: it seems the school has tons of corporate, federal, and public interest"field placements" and "externships" for credit that sound really interesting.

Sorry for the rambling post, but the weekend went well and I've been too lazy to write since getting back. feel free to PM me for details or questions etc. Like FutureLawyerMiami I am also leaning towards attending right now, except for a few waitlists im considering.

I couldn't have summarized the weekend better myself.  I went in not really wanting to like Emory and being a tad bitter than I was on so many waitlists, and left absolutely in love with Atlanta and Emory!  Mailed my deposit yesterday  :)
Going to William & Mary!

shantee222

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 11:22:52 AM »
I went to Emory's Visitation Day and along with everyone else I also loved it.  I'm from North Carolina and my friends and I go to Atlanta often so I already knew that I would have no problem living in the ATL.  All of the current students were really friendly and I feel like Emory is the place for me.  I mailed my deposit on Monday!

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 01:11:00 AM »
Just saw this thread, but I wanted to chime in as well!  I had a GREAT time at Emory's admitted students weekend--I got to meet some great LSDers who made me feel like I'll have a great home next year, and I generally left with the feeling that I will get an outstanding education and have an awesome time there.