Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Yale, finally, and my 250  (Read 3925 times)

racheles05

Yale, finally, and my 250
« on: April 10, 2005, 05:05:33 PM »
Yep, I am vindicated. My parents insisted that I apply to Yale and, as always, I was right, they were wrong. Here's my 250:

Mitzvah
By Racheles05

My grandmother always bought two loaves of kosher rye; she hid one on top of her refrigerator and let me eat the other. I imagined that her loaf was magical or somehow special, but she insisted that I would not like it, I should stop complaining, and please, will you eat your chicken soup?   
    When I entered the world of double digits at the ripe age of ten, my grandmother began telling me her secrets. She had a brother who died in the pogroms in Russia. My father spent thirty days in a juvenile diagnostic center because he stole a glass of milk when he was nine. “Can I have a piece of your bread?” I asked. She told me I would not like it, I should stop pestering her, and why have I not eaten the fresh kosher rye that she brought all the way from the market that morning?
    My grandmother started going senile when I was 13. She started telling me things about her struggles in Russia and in America as a Jew, a woman, a human being. She told me that her loaf of bread was stale and that she spent so many years eating moldy bread out of necessity that she could only eat the tough, chewy loaf. She was right; I would not have liked it, I wasted too much time pestering her and now that she is gone I would give anything for a bowl of her chicken soup.

Yonvan

• View Profile
Re: Yale, finally, and my 250
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 05:10:13 PM »
I really enjoyed that. Nice work.

BTW, getting rejected now probably means you made it to Prof review stage at Yale, which is further than I did with an LSAT score 20 points higher. I was among the first rejects.  You obviously put together one hell of an application.

racheles05

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 05:17:29 PM »
Nah, they were just probably sorting folks alpha by last name. Thanks for the compliment, though! I'll remember that as I sob into my beer tonight (jk).

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 06:39:23 PM »
nice story.  but why is the title mitzvah?

racheles05

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 06:57:07 PM »
Because what grandmother did for me was a mitzvah. Also, there's the other meaning, commandment, that relates to the coming of age ceremony for Jewish kids. This was sort of a coming of age story.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 07:03:30 PM »
That was wonderful!  Your family must be incredibly proud of you.  Best of luck in law school. 

racheles05

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 07:27:34 PM »
Ironically, my parents are anything but proud of me. That's an entirely different story, though.

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 07:31:12 PM »
Congratulations on surviving this long. That's an accomplishment in and of itself. At least now you're mostly done. Anyway, so, where do you think you're headed?

[And, btw, your parents should be proud of you! My basis for that is your Yale 250 statement and your excellent taste in shoes.]
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

racheles05

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 08:13:00 PM »
I will be attending FSU and I'm thrilled.

I assume you're referring to the boots in my avatar. Payless, darling. $10 and they're still hot. ;-)

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »
I will be attending FSU and I'm thrilled.

I assume you're referring to the boots in my avatar. Payless, darling. $10 and they're still hot. ;-)

Yeah, it's hard to get a good look at them, but I'm always partial to black boots. ;). And the fact that you got such a great deal makes them even better. ;D. In any case, enjoy FSU! Great school, great weather.... what more could you want? :)
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine