Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Constructive Notice has been Issued.  (Read 1287 times)

A.J

Constructive Notice has been Issued.
« on: April 10, 2005, 01:03:16 PM »
n. a fiction that a person got notice even though actual notice was not personally delivered to him/her. The law may provide that a public notice put on the courthouse bulletin board is a substitute for actual notice. A prime example is allowing service by publication when a spouse has left the state to avoid service (legal delivery of a legal notice) in a divorce action. The legal advertisement of the summons in an approved newspaper is treated as constructive notice, just as if the summons and petition had been served personally.

How many of you are prepping during the summer?  How many of you will have the first case prepared on the first day, when it will likely be due.  Will have read the syllabus and have all your materials in order? 

Are ya psyched!?

I'm just wondering if people are feeling ready to tackle this.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Constructive Notice has been Issued.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 01:12:50 PM »
I'm definitely psyched and hope to be well prepared... but am not quite sure how to go about it.  I've thought of reading some cases in "Examples and Explanations" but don't know if that's the best way to go about it.  Any ideas everyone?

A.J

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 01:17:59 PM »
I'm definitely psyched and hope to be well prepared... but am not quite sure how to go about it.  I've thought of reading some cases in "Examples and Explanations" but don't know if that's the best way to go about it.  Any ideas everyone?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764113879/ref%3Dnosim/legalenginecom/002-8380763-9904830

This book is great.  It has you practicing case briefs in the first half of the book.  Its actually where I got the term "constructive notice".

In the back are some exerpts from "hornbooks", the most famous being Prosser and Keetons book on torts.  You should probably go to those next.  Thats my plan anyway.

I'm going to stick with one class, like torts for instance and just focus on gaining familiarity with it.  The law definetly requires an entirely new mode of analytical thought and this book will open you up to the reality of just how hard you will need to work to be a top student.

jessa218

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »

How many of you are prepping during the summer?  How many of you will have the first case prepared on the first day, when it will likely be due.  Will have read the syllabus and have all your materials in order? 

Are ya psyched!?

Do they give you the syllabus before the first day of school?

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 01:41:16 PM »

Are ya psyched!?

Yeah- they probably hand them out during orientation or post them on-line

tracigu3

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - tracigu3@sbcglobal.net
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tracigu3
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 03:33:42 PM »
I plan to be ready to discuss the assigned case on the first day of class; which, by-the-way is expected.  You can go online to your schools site and find each prof's book list, reading list, and case assignments for the first week of classes, some even post their entire syllabus.  I also plan to be ready to discuss the assigned case at the admitted students day later this month.

Aside from those two cases briefings/discusses I will not be doing a darn thing to prep for law school, aside from drinking heavily and sleeping.  I currently work at a large law firm, and all the advice (solicited and not) I have received has been to stear clear of anything law school prep related, because there is absolutely nothing you can learn/change now that you don't already know and it will only stress us out even more.

ccorsi

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 09:27:19 PM »
I prepared by taking classes at my undergrad.

Took Intro to Law, Contract Law, and Business Associations.

C2

A.J

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 06:43:08 AM »

This is what constructive notice is.

A.J

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 06:44:15 AM »
I prepared by taking classes at my undergrad.

Took Intro to Law, Contract Law, and Business Associations.

C2

Prelaw is some of the worst preperation for law school there is.

ccorsi

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 08:53:47 AM »
Courses were taught by Penn law professors - so I don't see your logic in that.

C2