Law School Discussion

Constructive Notice has been Issued.

A.J

Re: Constructive Notice has been Issued.
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 03:55:02 AM »
Courses were taught by Penn law professors - so I don't see your logic in that.

C2

The stats dont lie. 

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 05:30:57 AM »
The JAG Corps is offering a research and writing course (10 days) at the end of July.  I signed up for it.  Now I just hope my unit has the funding to send me.  How awesome would that be?  I'd get paid to attend a course that others spend over $1,000 for?

jdw112

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 05:46:50 AM »
I don't think law schools care if students take a few law related classes during undergrad. However, I think they frown on pre-law majors and some other weak legal majors, like criminal justice, etc. Like ccorsi, I have taken a few undergrad classes that were law related. I don't think I am any worse off for taking a freedom of speech & press class with the president of my university, a renowned scholar in the field. He conducted the class like a law school class, from the socratic method selecting students at random, to he structure of the final exam. He also taught us a case briefing method. The whole experience left me very comfortable reading and discussing cases and legal issues. It is not the same as a prep course, I am guessing, but it definitely has value. It was a blast. One of my favorite classes.

Edited.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 07:05:23 PM »
Took Crim my sophomore year.  All I remember now are mens rea and actus reus.   ;D  I bought Law School confidential and I'm going to practice the briefing method therein before orientation.  I'll pick up all the horn books and commercial outlines within the next month, but I'll have to wait until I know which section I'm in to buy books.  I've also been reading all the current POTUS decisions, partly to get used to reading case law and partly because I'm the KING OF THE NERDS!  Muahaha.  Bow before your king.

-Ty

lsatposter

• Northwestern '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »
"Getting to Maybe" . Everyone has to read this. Every law student I've ever talked to says read this. Its a great book. Its not a hornbook. This is an important read! I'm really enjoying it. Its like 300 pages and its well written. Everyone said it was a little boring and dry but I simply didn't think it was. Then again, I read AC briefs and decisions for fun at work. I'm sick. I know.

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2005, 06:06:14 PM »
What "stats" are you referring to AJ?  I love posters who post stuff like that and don't back it up.  My mother also does this, ie: "They say that eating lots of gelatin is good for you". 

Who the hell is they?  Where are these stats?  I think the anonymous "they" are busy producing the stats!

LOL!

A.J

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 03:38:06 AM »
What "stats" are you referring to AJ?  I love posters who post stuff like that and don't back it up.  My mother also does this, ie: "They say that eating lots of gelatin is good for you". 

Who the hell is they?  Where are these stats?  I think the anonymous "they" are busy producing the stats!

LOL!

The main one I am referring to is the average LSAT score.  If you believe the LSAT has predictive power, as many do, then I suppose it could be one of two things.  One, people who choose the major are generally less well equiped analytically to begin with or two that the major is rather soft and does nothing to help then sharpen their inherent analytical capacity.

The stats on that are out there if you search for them.  I believe the average is somewhere in the low 140's.

Also, prof after prof (law and otherwise) have said that the major is a weak one.  There are comments in US News' book about law school (name?) from profs who find it to have shown to be weak preperation, or not preperation at all.