Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The best way to handle the drug policy would be...

Keep the status quo
 1 (3.1%)
Make tougher laws like mandatory minimum sentences
 3 (9.4%)
repeal all drug laws, focus on violent and property crime and let people do as they wish.
 11 (34.4%)
Decriminalize reefer, keep other stuff illegal, but focus more on distribution
 1 (3.1%)
decriminalize posession/use, set up clinics for addicts to reduce crime, go after major distribution of hard drugs
 14 (43.8%)
i dont like any of these choices, jackass
 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Drug Policy  (Read 8095 times)

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
Re: Poll: Drug Policy
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 02:41:08 PM »
I repeat--if you are that upset about lawmakers being able to tell you what you may and may not do, there is no system of government with which you will be satisfied.

ruskiegirl

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 02:45:25 PM »
Snoop dog say: smoke weed every day!

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 02:46:48 PM »
I repeat--if you are that upset about lawmakers being able to tell you what you may and may not do, there is no system of government with which you will be satisfied.

you are missing the point. Repeating the same thing over and over will not help.

It is not the system of government that is to blame, it is the current laws. Change them and I have no problem.

You are upset, though, that the government tells you what you can and cannot put in your body.  What I'm saying is, that is the FUNCTION of government--to tell people what they can and cannot do.

Edit: and in fact, it is the function of the FDA to tell people what they can and cannot put in their bodies, essentially.  Would you suggest eliminating the FDA?

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 02:55:44 PM »
So no FDA? no prescriptions? People could buy anything they wanted over the counter? Lots of dangerous and potentially lethal substances would be available at any drugstore or supermarket?

I wouldn't want to live in a place like that.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 03:04:25 PM »
But by requiring people to be licensed and by regulating what (and how much) is available, you (the government) are regulating what people could put in their bodies.

M2

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2004, 03:06:20 PM »
But by requiring people to be licensed and by regulating what (and how much) is available, you (the government) are regulating what people could put in their bodies.

No.

They are regulating the amount of what one can put in their bodies. They are not completely restricting.
I agree that this is a compromise, but it is one that I can live with because it still allows use.

The problem I have is with complete prohibition.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 03:09:17 PM »
What would you think about the idea of all drugs being available, but some only by prescription?  Certain very strong drugs (ie morphine) are available currently but only with a prescription.

Is this okay with you, or would that be too much regulation/restriction?

M2

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 03:11:23 PM »
What would you think about the idea of all drugs being available, but some only by prescription?  Certain very strong drugs (ie morphine) are available currently but only with a prescription.

Is this okay with you, or would that be too much regulation/restriction?

Well isn't a prescription just a license to use?

If by prescription you mean for medical use only, then no thats not ok.

While i think that this is a step in the right direction towards legalization it is not a satisfactory end result because it will not solve the problem of crime associated with blackmarket dealing.

Morphine tablets as well as other various opiates that are "prescription only" are trafficked by criminals on a regular basis.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 03:16:12 PM »
So you think all drugs should be available to anyone without prescription (without medical need) so long as they have a license to use them? 

I could take my Massachusetts drug buyers license down to the corner store and buy me some Adderall?

(I hope you understand I'm not trying to antagonize you here. Just doing some law-school-style arguing :))

M2

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 03:20:22 PM »
So you think all drugs should be available to anyone without prescription (without medical need) so long as they have a license to use them? 

I could take my Massachusetts drug buyers license down to the corner store and buy me some Adderall?

(I hope you understand I'm not trying to antagonize you here. Just doing some law-school-style arguing :))

I love these kind of discussions. I think thats the main reason I'm going to lawschool.

Not the corner store, but a specified government regulated drug center.

Yes, you would have the freedom to go buy adderall as long as you passed all the tests showing that you understand all the risks involved.

Wouldn't that freedom be grand?