Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The best way to handle the drug policy would be...

Keep the status quo
 1 (3.1%)
Make tougher laws like mandatory minimum sentences
 3 (9.4%)
repeal all drug laws, focus on violent and property crime and let people do as they wish.
 11 (34.4%)
Decriminalize reefer, keep other stuff illegal, but focus more on distribution
 1 (3.1%)
decriminalize posession/use, set up clinics for addicts to reduce crime, go after major distribution of hard drugs
 14 (43.8%)
i dont like any of these choices, jackass
 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Drug Policy  (Read 8240 times)

jgruber

Re: Poll: Drug Policy
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2004, 02:50:30 PM »
I"m not offended, just curious.  I've been following the discuasion.  But people can draw different conclusions from these numbers.  I'd like to know what you feel they indicate.

What conclusion should we reach from these number?

jeffjoe...not to be rude but I think a lot of the time you aren't even paying attention to the discussion, and u just interject some sort of challenge.

Those stats were in response to the above poster who talked about illegal drugs being dangerous.
It was an extension to my claim that alcohol causes many more deaths than all illicit drugs combined.

M2

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2004, 02:52:17 PM »
Yes Alcohol is a huge killer when it comes to drugs.  I have a problem with Alcohol myself.  But that is a perfect example of what can happen if there were no laws against them.  Because Alcohol if used reponsibly won't kill you and can actually be healthy.  But Obviously it isn't used properly.  Otherwise there wouldn't be so much death from it.

The reason the Drug death is so low is because there are laws against it.  If they were repealled it could be double or more.  Who Knows.

Actually I would argue that it would drop if a safe-house system were instituted along with a license system.
The same goes for alcohol

I take it that you use extasy or whatever you want to call it.  So it's always hard to argue with someone on drugs because they only see the good.  And know matter what you show them they always think it won't happen to them because "they are responsible". 
Actually your assumption is incorrect. I do not use MDMA.

But remember the Stupid people out there.  Who don't know better.  You're going to say well they should know better and it's there fault.  Liberal thinking at it's best.  But there needs to be Government intervintion at some point.  Wether you like it or not.  That's the way "Real Life" goes
The government should intervene to EDUCATE. It should be the indivudal's responsibility to make sure they use it correctly.

Cars also kill due to irresponsible people. Should we make cars illegal?

jgruber

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2004, 02:57:12 PM »
No problem.  I would say these numbers support your conclusion.

I think it would also support a conclusion that medical malpractice is killing tens of thousands of people through prescription drugs.

I"m not offended, just curious.  I've been following the discuasion.  But people can draw different conclusions from these numbers.  I'd like to know what you feel they indicate.

Ok I am sorry that I misunderstood.

The only conclusion I can draw is one of hypocritical laws...
Look at deaths from tobaco...alcohol...and prescription drugs yet these are legal.

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2004, 03:10:02 PM »
Cars also kill due to irresponsible people. Should we make cars illegal?

Let's get past Highschool degating and pretend that there is further education there.  If you want to do that, well people have been killed by bare hands. If that is the case well, we cut off all our hands so we can't kill anyone.  that would solve a lot of problems.  We can't fire a gun without hands, cut someones head off, or drink alcohol or take drugs.  All deaths unatural deaths would be ELIMINATED!!!  World Peace finally.  And if you believe in the Bible.  Then end of the world!  But anways...

You got my attention.  How would this "Safe House System" work?

Now be real.  There are going to be people who abuse this system.  How do you prevent that?

It can't be Age Limits.  They have that on Alcohol and believe me it is no problem to get past that.

License?  As in you have a license to purchase it?  What prevents it from being duplicated.

Let's think of something.  Maybe we can get something that would work here.  If it is found to work maybe you could take it to the senate and show how it would work.  ya never know.

jgruber

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2004, 03:43:29 PM »
M2, many of your points make sense to me.  I can see many benefits to legalizing some drugs.  I wonder how we (society) would agree on which drugs are to be legalized.  What authority would make that decision?

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2004, 04:10:09 PM »
I wouldn't pass the car one as a valid one.  Our society is dependent on transportation.  But anyways let's move on past that.

What would be the cost.  Remember that money determins anything.

I could possibly see it working in a distant future.

But retina scans would cost a ton.  And they are going to apply that technology to other applications besides drug use.  And if you were to have a nurse on hand you have to pay her.  That would bring prices up.

Are you saying that by government controlled quantities that they give you say a monthly quota?  People get prescription drugs from other people for money.  How would they prevent this abuse. 

Or are you saying that you have to go to designated places.  But then again!  Maybe your on to something.  If the Government excepted drugs would people want to do drugs???  It wouldn't be as cool to do them.  Especially in a Government establishment.  So possibly people may loose interest.  Like when some people who turn 21 quit drinking.

It could possibly work but I think the system would be abused.

Personally I think that people should do what they want.  If they want to snort Gas or even blow their heads off they should feel free to do it.  I have a liberal mindframe but I have a rightwing reality to myself.  And also sense most people on here are liberal and hate republicans.  I often side up for the Republicans because it gives people something to argue about.  Devils Advocate I guess you can call it.

neverends

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2004, 07:13:05 AM »
If you want to eat diseased meat or contaminated vegetables, we would not have the right to stop you according to your line of reasoning

Sorry, just catching up on this thread had to jump to the end to point out that I don't know of any meat that isn't diseased or vegitables that aren't contaminated.

New study found "perclorate" f the spelling at this hour in 32 of 33 brands of california milk.  "perclorate" is rocket fuel, and it has been wantonly leaked from military/corporate test sites all over the west.  The colorado river is awash in it, and that water produces most every vegitable I can buy.  That water in this case grows alfalfa, which the cows eat and when we suck on their titties we get the "perclorate".   "perclorate" destroys the thyroid and other fun stuff...

sorry off topic, just felt like pointing out that the gov is more interested in profit as seen in the current curious situation that smoking some weed is probably better for you than drinking milk.
it's coming...