Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The best way to handle the drug policy would be...

Keep the status quo
 1 (3.1%)
Make tougher laws like mandatory minimum sentences
 3 (9.4%)
repeal all drug laws, focus on violent and property crime and let people do as they wish.
 11 (34.4%)
Decriminalize reefer, keep other stuff illegal, but focus more on distribution
 1 (3.1%)
decriminalize posession/use, set up clinics for addicts to reduce crime, go after major distribution of hard drugs
 14 (43.8%)
i dont like any of these choices, jackass
 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Drug Policy  (Read 7896 times)

mesirow

• View Profile
Re: Poll: Drug Policy
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2004, 01:54:13 AM »
repeal all drug laws, focus on violent and property crime and let people do as they wish.

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2004, 08:13:12 PM »
Well I'm not on the Liberal standpoint where All Drugs should be legal.  I believe Pot would be ok.  Even though I don't smoke it.  Yet all my friends do.  Other drugs though do harm you and I think they are bad.  And if they were legal it would be worse.

My friends dad is an Atlanta firefighter and has been one for years.  So he sees the effects of drugs from the Ghettos all the way to the Executives.  And I asked him one time why we have stupid laws.  And he gave me the best answer I could ever imagine.  "They make Stupid Laws for Stupid People".  Then it hit me.  Yeah.  that is why drugs are illegal.  Now I believe we will live to see the day when pot is legal.  But if say Crack, Heroin, Coke, Acid, were to become legal idiots might do it because there would be no Law concequence.

I think Marijuana should be legal.  Other stuff like Cocaine, heroin, extasy need to be outlawed

M2

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2004, 12:55:25 AM »
please... do you know anything about "extasy" (sic) ?

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2004, 02:22:40 AM »
Do I know anything about extacy?  Well I've never taken it but I've been around it.  A LOT.  It's huge where I'm at.  Every kind of drug.  Heroin, Ice, Coke, Extasy, Acid, crack, pot, pcp.  My county is considered one of the worst counties when it came to drugs in Georgia.  And we are in White Suburbia.  The last place you would expect drugs.  I know lots of people on it. 

I knew a girl on it.  She got Raped at a Rave.  I showed no sympathy to her though.  I told her that is what happens when you go there.  Do you think no one has overdosed on extasy.  Why don't you pop some extacy and look at a strobe light.  I'll even call the ambulance in advance.  We had a kid at our school was found with a needle in his arm in the bathroom.  He did live.  Another one passed out in hte bathroom from a horse tranquilizer.  I local cop nearly got killed because of someone on PCP who when he shot him the guy didn't back down and went for his gun.  A girl at our school thought she was snorting Cocaine but it was Heroin.  I wasn't there but a buddy of mine said that when the medic stuck that needle into her heart he about passed out.  Ice.  I have a lot of friends on Ice.  I rather them do Coke.  I had some friends who didn't sleep for days and had to go to the hospital for anxiety attack.

I have dead friends because of drugs.  From Od's to police busts to drug deals gone bad.  And I live in a community full of Good ol American Blue Collars and Doctors and Lawyers.  It's not a problem in the Ghetto but in suburbs.  With what could be oneday your kids.  And mainly because my community has money.  I have see the very dark side of drugs.

And you dare ask me if I know anything about extasy.  You don't even know

M2

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2004, 02:23:48 PM »
Please...there was so much misinfo in your post.

DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MDMA (i.e. ecstasy)???
it can be responsibly used.

Just because you know people that have used it irresponsibly doesn't mean that it cannot be safely used.
As for the girl that snorted heroin thinking it was coke all I can say is that she is a complete moron.

Oh and as far as overdoses go from MDMA, they are few and far between. Most fatalities that involve MDMA are from the user not remaining hydrated or from some other secondary cause (like combination with another drug)

And I am sorry that your friend got raped at a rave, but she is an idiot for not preparing herself... i.e. she could have gone with people she trusted or not gone at all.

Why blame it on the drug?

FAR more people die from Alcohol abuse than from all other drugs combined.

jgruber

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2004, 02:25:25 PM »
If we decided as a general policy that some drugs should be approved for let's say casual use, wouldn't we want some central, competent authority to decide which drugs are safe for such use?

M2

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2004, 02:31:47 PM »
Annual Causes of Death in the United States
Tobacco                 
Alcohol
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs
Suicide
Homicide
All Licit & Illicit Drug-Induced Deaths
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin

jgruber

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2004, 02:37:00 PM »
What conclusion should we reach from these number?

Annual Causes of Death in the United States
Tobacco                 
Alcohol
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs
Suicide
Homicide
All Licit & Illicit Drug-Induced Deaths
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin

M2

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2004, 02:48:54 PM »
What conclusion should we reach from these number?

jeffjoe...not to be rude but I think a lot of the time you aren't even paying attention to the discussion, and u just interject some sort of challenge.

Those stats were in response to the above poster who talked about illegal drugs being dangerous.
It was an extension to my claim that alcohol causes many more deaths than all illicit drugs combined.

smittie1984

• View Profile
    • My Website
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2004, 02:48:58 PM »
Yes Alcohol is a huge killer when it comes to drugs.  I have a problem with Alcohol myself.  But that is a perfect example of what can happen if there were no laws against them.  Because Alcohol if used reponsibly won't kill you and can actually be healthy.  But Obviously it isn't used properly.  Otherwise there wouldn't be so much death from it.

The reason the Drug death is so low is because there are laws against it.  If they were repealled it could be double or more.  Who Knows.

I take it that you use extasy or whatever you want to call it.  So it's always hard to argue with someone on drugs because they only see the good.  And know matter what you show them they always think it won't happen to them because "they are responsible".  Well good for you.  If you can take it and do it responsibly and get the high that you want well go for it. 

But remember the Stupid people out there.  Who don't know better.  You're going to say well they should know better and it's there fault.  Liberal thinking at it's best.  But there needs to be Government intervintion at some point.  Wether you like it or not.  That's the way "Real Life" goes