Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

The best way to handle the drug policy would be...

Keep the status quo
 1 (3.1%)
Make tougher laws like mandatory minimum sentences
 3 (9.4%)
repeal all drug laws, focus on violent and property crime and let people do as they wish.
 11 (34.4%)
Decriminalize reefer, keep other stuff illegal, but focus more on distribution
 1 (3.1%)
decriminalize posession/use, set up clinics for addicts to reduce crime, go after major distribution of hard drugs
 14 (43.8%)
i dont like any of these choices, jackass
 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Drug Policy  (Read 8091 times)

jgruber

Re: Poll: Drug Policy
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2004, 08:37:24 PM »
True there is a range of activities and the risk to others of each should be evaluated.  This is far from advocating widely that people should be allowed to whatever they want as long as it doesn't directly hurt others.

Legalizing some drugs may be harmless to others, but each needs to be studied carefully.  I'm thinking that you feel that the laws that make drugs illegal are not based on sound medical studies and instead are based on moralistic prejudices.  I can agree with that.

schoomp

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - schoomp
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2004, 08:53:50 PM »
I don't think *many* of the people that want drugs decriminalized think that there shouldn't be regulations for them.  If weed is made legal (or at least decriminalized), it would be safer to have it regulated like cigerattes or alcohol - you buy a package that contains such and such amount of weed and has a such and such precentage of thc (I think that is what is in weed?).  Same thing for other drugs - you wouldn't want people to think they were doing lsd when it was actually cyinade.  The drug market, like any other market would need regulations.

As far as the reasoning about why drugs are illegal, or it seems some of the reasons that have been given thus far about making alcohol, cigerattes or caffinee illegal, seem to be moral arguments somewhat based on what is good for the people.  If you are going to make that argument, then that could apply to lots of things that are on the market already.  Vitamin C, if taken in large doses, can be fatal.  Do we regualate how much you can buy in one day?  One week?  What about foods high in fat?  Obesity is one of the biggest medical problems in the US now.  What about sitting in front of a computer for hours?  I don't think looking at a screen for 8 hours straight is doing good things for your eyesight, so maybe we should regulate how long someone can play video games or watch tv?

Taking it to a moral level, from my experience, most religious people I have met (key word most) are some of the worst people I have met.  Therefore, I think religion for the most part is evil.  Maybe we should regulate whether people can go to church or not.  I also think that eating meat is bad for you, especially if it has hormones and other bad things in it.  Shoudl we make eating meat illegal?

Problem when you get into whether a substance (or action) is moral or not, everyone is going to have different opinions unless it is something major (i.e. murder, rape, incest) and even then there might be a very few who disagree.

jgruber

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2004, 10:29:58 PM »
Intolerance masquarading as religion is what I think you're referring to.

You can't legislate morality, but that won't stop people from trying

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - purplenna
    • View Profile
    • My lawschoolnumbers page
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2004, 12:04:24 AM »
Also I dont know much about Mormonism, and so I would rather not get in a debate about it,  but I do know that wine is used as a sacrament in some if not most Mormon congregations. If Wine is a sacrament I find it odd that you want to make alcohol illegal...
Would there be a special exemption for alcohol in the form of fermented grape juice?

Which congregation was this? Where?  I have attended many Mormon sacrament meetings, in four different states, and it's always been water, not wine.  I think when the church first started they might have used some sort of wine, but at least in the US I know this is not the case now.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2004, 07:51:49 AM »
Well, I haven't really thought about this a lot, but it's an interesting question.  I take prescription drugs every day, and often take non-prescription drugs also like advil and stuff.  Legal drugs, according to the church, are mostly okay--except for alcohol, tobacco, coffee and tea, which are specifically stated in the Word of Wisdom to be bad for people.  You notice it doesn't actually say caffeine is bad for you, just coffee and tea, so people draw their own conclusions. I know Mormons who wouldn't touch caffeine with a ten foot pole, and Mormons who will gladly drink coke but steer clear of coffee and tea. It's just personal interpretation.  More later cause I gotta run but I still have more to say of course :)

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2004, 12:52:16 PM »
Okay, so here's what the scriptures say about wine:

"That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.
And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.
And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies." (D&C 89:5-7)

So, wine is only for the sacrament, and even then it should be "pure wine...of your own make."

As for laws about alcohol and tobacco...I think Utah would make these things illegal if it could get away with it. Their alcohol laws are already really restrictive, like bars are allowed to exist only as restaurant/bar combos or as "private clubs" where you have to actually buy a one night "membership" to go in.  And the limit for alcohol content in beer I know is quite low, so Utah beer has like half the alcohol of non-Utah beer.  Not sure what their laws are on tobacco.

bobfett33

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2004, 03:46:28 PM »
Vitamin C, if taken in large doses, can be fatal. 

Woah, WRONG!  Vitamin C is a water-soluble, as opposed to fat-soluble, vitamin.  That means that any excess vitamin C is purged through the urine.

With regard to drug policy, however, one of my biggest beefs is that you can be a murderer, a rapist or even a terrorist and be perfectly eligible for federal financial aid - but if you've got drug convictions, it can be almost impossoble.  f-ing ridiculous.

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2004, 04:12:53 PM »
Several things:

Mormons are not averse to medical treatment--that's Christian scientists. If it were legal for doctors to prescribe heroin, and a doctor I respected told me I should use it and that it was medically necessary/helpful, I would take it.

However an important part of Mormon doctrine is that we are pretty much commanded by God to obey the laws of the land in which we live (in addition to the laws that God gives us in the scriptures). This can get messy when the laws tell us to do things that are contrary to the scriptures, but I digress.

The point is that I wouldn't take illegal drugs, because they are bad for my body AND illegal.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2004, 04:16:49 PM »
Several things:

Mormons are not averse to medical treatment--that's Christian scientists. If it were legal for doctors to prescribe heroin, and a doctor I respected told me I should use it and that it was medically necessary/helpful, I would take it.

However an important part of Mormon doctrine is that we are pretty much commanded by God to obey the laws of the land in which we live (in addition to the laws that God gives us in the scriptures). This can get messy when the laws tell us to do things that are contrary to the scriptures, but I digress.

The point is that I wouldn't take illegal drugs, because they are bad for my body AND illegal.

just curious...but why is coffee bad for you?
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

marista

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2004, 04:21:43 PM »
We're kind of going in circles here, I feel like I answered this one already: I don't know WHY it's bad for you, but the scriptures say it is. That's enough for me, but I totally understand that it wouldn't convince most people.